Recruiting strategy

slu72

Anyone ever wonder what ours is? I mean recruiting's a pretty easy game if you're Coach K or Roy Williams, etc. The top 50 to 100 almost come to you. They pick and choose. So what do you do if you're UB or a school not really considered an "elite" program? Where do you put your $$$? Some have said we should land a top 100 prospect every year. Is that realistic today? We've only done it once in the past 20 years or so. So who do they go after and how hard? Take Tyus. It appears, from the rumor mill, there was at one time some interest. Am sure or would hope UB and staff would pursue him full bore until he says don't waste your time. Would think part of the strategy would also be to recruit hard all area potential D'oners from the day they surface and maintain the contact/interest up until they verbal or sign. They at least know who we are. But beyond this, I wonder how and why they get onto a particular recruit. It's not like there are a lot of kids in NYC or LA saying hey, I'd like to play for St.Louis U. Recruiting's a game I'm glad I don't have to play.

We need to get alumns in larger cities to feed Brad info. Even though it's illegal, we're so far under the radar as far as D-I schools goes, we wouldn't be a blip on Dr. Myles Brand's screen.

Back in the hayday when transportation wasn't like it is today, Moose Krause and some of the legendary Notre Dame coaches had feeders (most of them former players returning to their alma maters as head coaches) at the high school level, and guys like Krause would offer them scholarships, just from guys telling him about a player.

We need to have guys out there sending Brad info about players. I've repeatedly tried to get Edmonds at Peoria Notre Dame to look at SLU, and supposedly, he toured campus last week at the AAU tourney. Maybe we can get him on board. I'd like to see our alums in SoCal, NYC, Chicago, Tampa, Miami, etc. try to find a way to attract some interest in our program. Maybe wear a SLU shirt to a prep hoops game, or something. Got any other ideas?

There is nothing illegal about anyone calling or contacting a college coach about a prospective recruit.

Now if the alum/booster is contacting the prospective recruit (let's say an alum in peoria contacting a high school player), that would not be kosher per the NCAA even if the college knew nothing about the Alum/Booster's effort.

I'm not sure Metzy's approach is going to work unless it's a SLU grad who happens to be the coach. We've got some ex players out there coaching but they don't seem to provide much of a feeder system. Besides with all the information and aau tourneys today,it's hard for a kid to stay unnoticed for long. I can't see us recruiting on a national scale right now... as someone pointed out even Zo's doing it mostly with local kids who decided to stay home. Look for this to change if he keeps getting seeded 1 and 2 in the dance. Point of this post was it's not easy being a SLU in this game. Everyone slamming UB for his recruiting skills has to realize that. If we were ever to land a top 100, as some believe we should, he's either gonna be a local, a son of an alum, or wants to major in theology and minor in philosophy. Now, we start winning in the A-10 and getting to some sweet 16's this should change, but right now I look for UB to go hard after the best locals, which he's done successfully (even Nark can't argue that), and guys beyond the top 100 who maybe diamonds in the rough just waiting to be mined. I'm pretty much consigned to the fact we're not going to do well in the JUCO trade.