U-21 team, Global Games update

Watched the Under-21 U.S. team play one of the Dallas Mavericks summer league teams yesterday in a game preceeding the 05 Global Games. The U-21 team was coached by Phil Martelli and comprised of players like JJ Redick, Justin Gray, Rudy Gay, Nick Fazekas, Rajon Rondo, and Curtis Withers. The Mavs team had Roger Powell, Keith Langford, a few "projects" (who were much worse than Ian and Bryce, trust me), and other no-namers. The Mavs completely manhandled the U-21 team 102-86...I know the U-21 roster had just been finalized the day before and those guys probably hadnt played much together, but they were completely out of sync and there was no communication at all.

Withers in particular was disappointing: 1-7 from field, 3 pts, 4 fouls in about 10 minutes. I'm sure he'll be tougher come December but yesterday he was far below what I've even seen him do at the Savvis Center; he was getting blocked out for almost every rebound and was rusty on his turn-arounds. Best player was Justin Gray, with Aaron Brooks (Oregon) and Glen Davis (LSU) also playing very well. (For any UofI fans, R.Powell played with heart and pulled down several nice boards...still has a shot at a roster spot).

U-21 team plays Ukraine, Slovenia, and Lithuania before the "medal games" next weekend.

http://www.globalgamesbasketball.com/index.htm

I saw that in the Ft. Worth Star Telegram and thought about going to see Team USA at 8 on Friday. I probably won't, too bad Obi is hurt or maybe he could have been on Team Texas. It seems Team Texas are a lot of guys trying to make one last statement to colleges.

Frisco is becoming a mini-Arlington they have The Minor League Baseball Team, the New MLS Stadium for FC Dallas, that new water park and an Ikea coming soon.

I like it here in the DFW area. I'm planning on seeing SLU Soccer at SMU this Fall.