Remain calm...all is well

BradFan

When Brad first got the job, I was one of the few defending the choice. By last year, the biggest concern of the board was when Brad would leave for a better offer. Remember, not a lot has changed.

The results this year may be disappointing, but can't be a total surprise, particularly considering the demise of TF and RB. Two years ago, when Brad started, he had virtually no chance to recruit. He pulled together leftovers in AD and JJ (and RB). Getting TF as a transfer was a stopgap, and it only worked for a season.

I recall one of the first years Dick Bennett and Brad coached Wisconsin. Their first real freshman class featured Mike Kelly, Andy Kowske, Mark Vershaw et al, and they stunk. Won very few games. But they improved over the year. By their junior year, that group went to the Final Four.

Not saying you should expect a repeat performance by this freshman group, but the system matched with the right players (which Brad now has total control over) will prevail. Remain calm. All will be well. This program will be successful. This season will be long forgotten. Remember that what Dick and Brad started at Wisconsin was no fluke. When Brad was unfairly dismissed, he left the makings of the next great Wisconsin teams with the likes of Devin Harris and Mike Wilkinson (their recruits) for the next coach. The guy knows what he's doing, and you will appreciate the fruits of his labor and his basketball knowledge.

I have tried to make this point as well. Brad really took over a program that on the surface looked good but was about to crumble. The fact that there are no Romar recruits left on this team speaks volumes. Romar's last two years of recruits are complete wastes. No Nick Kern and Ryan Hollins. I don't even remember the class before those guys departed -- Sefert ???.

Drejaj, JJ, and IO were great pick ups who came very late the season. I don't think any one thought they would lead SLU to the tournament. TF and Reggie were stop gaps to avoid the hemmoraging.

It took two years of coaching the experience laden Fishers, Sloans and Marque Perry's to prove to many that Brad was a good coach. The sophomores and freshman and incoming freshman show real potential. As a recruiter and overall head coach, these are the guys who will make or break Brad at SLU.

I think most Billiken fans agree with you. The uninformed, contrarians, and haters (in general) are the only ones sharpening up their knives. It's really easy to nitpick calls and coaching moves when your margin for error is razor thin. It's also easy to blame the coach for players who get injured or in funks or are just plain goofy. Brad's early classes were hip shots. I don't blame him for taking chances on JJ, and Darren, and IO, and AD. Now if Tommie and Kevin, and IV, and Dwayne flame out, Brad will be toast and I'll fire up the oven. I'm guessing (along with most real Billiken FANS) that by the end of Polk's junior year we'll all be reveling in Brad's superior intellect and hoping that He'll stay a few more years.........