The Gateway Arch - Downtown Revitalization

Does anyone actually like the arch?

I think one of the drawbacks to St. Louis is that we have such a structure at the forefront of our city. How the heck did this metallic arch become a national monument in 1987?! Who really sat down and thought this pile of metal was that cool.....riding in an eggsell up to a height of 600ft? Heck, it is going to even cost $500,000 just to clean the damn thing.

As part of St.Louis' now 2nd or 3rd or 4th revitalization effort, lets make a symbolic gesture and scrap this curse. Sell its parts off and make a national statement that St. Louis will no longer be happy with being Chicago's little brother, some tiny town in the middle of America....just like we will no longer be satisfied with the arch.

Lets make a real change.

Come on, mods. This belongs in the other thread. Having two downtown redevelopment/arch-bashing threads at the same time would be almost as devastatingly redundant as two Jayson Tatum threads. Besides, I already typed my whole soliloquy in the other one.

That said, St. Louis is 70 years older than Chicago. We will always be the big brother, no matter how fat they get or skinny we become.

Does anyone actually like the arch?

I think one of the drawbacks to St. Louis is that we have such a ###### structure at the forefront of our city. How the heck did this metallic arch become a national monument in 1987?! Who really sat down and thought this pile of metal was that cool.....riding in an eggsell up to a height of 600ft? Heck, it is going to even cost $500,000 just to clean the damn thing.

As part of St.Louis' now 2nd or 3rd or 4th revitalization effort, lets make a symbolic gesture and scrap this curse. Sell its parts off and make a national statement that St. Louis will no longer be happy with being Chicago's little brother, some tiny town in the middle of America....just like we will no longer be satisfied with the arch.

Lets make a real change.

I'm from the St. Louis , but I will say I love St. Louis's skyline, including the arch. I visit STL at least once a month (I have a significant other that is a SLU student), and I really think the city doesn't need a big change, they need an upsurge in pride in what the city already is. I live in Nashville, which is one of the country's current "hot cities", and although it is a cool city in many regards, I would trade it and move to St. Louis in a heartbeat.