Dayton OOC Schedule 2010

Taj79

While I long advocated a place of our own to play in (Chaifetz) I also knew getting "real" teams to come into this pit was going to be difficult and likely get worse over time. I compared that to YouDee and its magnificent facility -- so magnificent, the NCAA might play ALL FOUR play-in games there this year.

My buddy got his Flyer tickets bill for the coming year along with their OOC schedule. Here it is: at home Mount St. Mary's, Akron, Savannah State, Florida A&M, East Tennessee State, Miam of Ohio, Central Connecticut State, Western Carolina, Winthrop, George Mason and New Mexico. Away games include Ole Miss, Old Dominion and Seton Hall. There is a neutral game site against Cincinnati in Cincinnati at Fifth/Third or US Bamk Arena (neutral my relatively fat arse!).

Dayton and Mason have been playing for some time now but the luster of Mason's improbable Final Fou rrun is long gone.. New Mexico is a return game from last year as is Old Dominion. Still, nice schedule gets. Winthrop is okay and the Miami game they play every year. Akron is in state so I'm cool with that. The rest is buy crap.

I don't know what Ole Miss, Seton Hall or Cincy will have coming back and dayton lost both points from last year but with Wright and Johnson, they should be okay. They aleways win at the Triplle D so it is possible that with a luck win here or there, they could end the OOC with a win over New Mexico, and have a record that is 11 and 4 coming into the league portionof their schedule. If they do better and win two on the road, I see them ranked come conference time. In other words, another typical Dayton year.

While I long advocated a place of our own to play in (Chaifetz) I also knew getting "real" teams to come into this pit was going to be difficult and likely get worse over time. I compared that to YouDee and its magnificent facility -- so magnificent, the NCAA might play ALL FOUR play-in games there this year.

My buddy got his Flyer tickets bill for the coming year along with their OOC schedule. Here it is: at home Mount St. Mary's, Akron, Savannah State, Florida A&M, East Tennessee State, Miam of Ohio, Central Connecticut State, Western Carolina, Winthrop, George Mason and New Mexico. Away games include Ole Miss, Old Dominion and Seton Hall. There is a neutral game site against Cincinnati in Cincinnati at Fifth/Third or US Bamk Arena (neutral my relatively fat arse!).

Dayton and Mason have been playing for some time now but the luster of Mason's improbable Final Fou rrun is long gone.. New Mexico is a return game from last year as is Old Dominion. Still, nice schedule gets. Winthrop is okay and the Miami game they play every year. Akron is in state so I'm cool with that. The rest is buy crap.

I don't know what Ole Miss, Seton Hall or Cincy will have coming back and dayton lost both points from last year but with Wright and Johnson, they should be okay. They aleways win at the Triplle D so it is possible that with a luck win here or there, they could end the OOC with a win over New Mexico, and have a record that is 11 and 4 coming into the league portionof their schedule. If they do better and win two on the road, I see them ranked come conference time. In other words, another typical Dayton year.

I'm looking forward to it. We have been a very good OOC team for the last 3-4 years. This year, I think the personality of our team will change a lot. They guys who graduated played significant minutes over their entire careers and made us a defensive power and mediocre offensively. The replacements are generally talented but untested. I think we get worse defensively and better offensively.

I'm looking forward to it. We have been a very good OOC team for the last 3-4 years. This year, I think the personality of our team will change a lot. They guys who graduated played significant minutes over their entire careers and made us a defensive power and mediocre offensively. The replacements are generally talented but untested. I think we get worse defensively and better offensively.

Good to see there's one person who gives a sh*t about this thread.

With all due respect for For-Da Love, this is a valuable reference thread ---- its posted for all the dreamers on here who think Chaifetz and Rick Majerus are such an alluring draw that the North Carolinas and Dukes and Gonzagas and Texas and Arizonas and UCLAs and Uconns and all the other "name" schools in world are going to suddenly stop dead in their tracks and say "hey, let's go to St. Louis to play a basketball game!"

Its for all those guys in the media and in the stands at Chaifetz who are wondering why we built it and nobody will come. Its for Bernie and his buddies who want to come down to the front row, free, be wined and dined, and see nothing but top ranked team after team running against our Bills at Compton and Laclede. Ain't gonna happen -- Dayton is just proof. Want more? Go back and look at who Xavier played at home over the past few years. Butler. SIU. Mason. Any of the other so-called mid-majors out there. I have not seen any of the schedules I've mentioned but I'm willing to bet you that the thread is true and there are a few minor, yet inconsistent, variations. John Chaney played anyone, anywhere. So too does Fang Mitchell. But both Temple and Coppin State did that more times on the road than ever at home. All I'm saying is that a great home pit facility with a proven, HOF coach equals even less of a chance th ebig boys are going on the road to play in som eother team's "super bowl." Bank on it.

As to udfan --- Dayton will be interesting and i wil follow because they are in our league and my buddy won't let me forget how great Dayton truly is. However, if you subscribe to the hteory that the college game is a guards game (and I for one do), the YouDee has to resolve the issue of an upperclassman front line getting fed by newbies. I know the freshman guard was Top 50 and the Drake Transfer was good at drake. Despite that, it wil take some time I think for all of it to mesh. Now is Staten (name?) is near Wall-like talents (as some have said) it could happen sooner than later. Right now, Dayton has a few question marks and still has questionable outside shooting skills. But it coudl gel and I expect them near the top as usual in the A10. They have the great equalizer in YouDee Arena and almost 13K fans a night. Even if thei rschedule is full of mostly crap opponents. Gregory owes it to his team and fans to go slow to break the new engine in. Play mostly at home and do it against buy teams is typical strategy. I think Rick has done that as well.

As to udfan --- Dayton will be interesting and i wil follow because they are in our league and my buddy won't let me forget how great Dayton truly is. However, if you subscribe to the hteory that the college game is a guards game (and I for one do), the YouDee has to resolve the issue of an upperclassman front line getting fed by newbies. I know the freshman guard was Top 50 and the Drake Transfer was good at drake. Despite that, it wil take some time I think for all of it to mesh. Now is Staten (name?) is near Wall-like talents (as some have said) it could happen sooner than later. Right now, Dayton has a few question marks and still has questionable outside shooting skills. But it coudl gel and I expect them near the top as usual in the A10. They have the great equalizer in YouDee Arena and almost 13K fans a night. Even if thei rschedule is full of mostly crap opponents. Gregory owes it to his team and fans to go slow to break the new engine in. Play mostly at home and do it against buy teams is typical strategy. I think Rick has done that as well.

Improving the schedule to the level of a Xavier takes years of NCAA tournament success for an A10 team. But even our schedule last year, which was roundly critisized by some A10 posters ended up being #31 in the country in terms of quality according to Pomeroy.

Just do one and ones with the best mid-major type programs, mixed with the best exempt tournaments and maybe a two-for-one arrangment with a top BCS school occasionally. There are not many decent teams that challenge themselves during the non-conf, so it does not take much to get you in the upper echelon of non-conf difficulty. I am not a fan who thinks you can thrown yourself on the sword and accept two for ones with the BCS on their terms all the time. That is suicide, IMO. Best to wait until you have the resume to get 1 and 1's with lower level BCS and work your way up.

I don't know how our pg's will work out. It's tough playing that position as a freshman, no matter how talented you are. By next year, I think we will be as good as we have ever been at that position though, with an experienced Staten, the Drake transfer (Josh Parker) and Kevin Dillard all available. This year is hard to predict. We have very good forwards, but lots of new faces and other less experienced players who are going to be in the mix.