Home Vs. Road

GW

The contrast for the home vs. road games for the team this year has been simply amazing. Everyone knows that a team plays better at home than on the road, but this extreme? Don't the oddsmakers give like an extra 4 points for being at home? SLU is probably running a 20+ point road handicap. You take Dayton to overtime at home... and lose by 37 at their place (against a weaker team due to injuries). You set a record for lowest scoring game on the road... and then beat a ranked team for the first time in 4 years at home. Talk about Jekyll and Hyde...

Looking at SLU's road record alone, you would think they are possibly the least talented team in the country. SLU's lowest scoring game- 20 points. Largest loss differential- 41 points. Look at how this compares to 2 of the worst teams in the country- winless NJIT and North Florida. Lowest scoring game for either- 28 points. Largest loss differential- 42 and 51. Yet this same SLU team, which is comparable on the road to the worst teams in the country, can manage to have a 8 and 3 home record, with all 3 losses being close affairs against quality teams. Looking at SLU's home record alone, you would think they may have tournament possibilities. This is where the idea that the bills are "untalented" breaks down for me. If SLU's road record is indicative of our talent level, then we should be getting spanked no matter where we play. A truly untalented team loses on the road, home, neutral it doesn't matter. There are still winless teams out there- they are the untalented ones. So what do we have? A moderate amount of talent that is able to overachieve at home. I will offer a proposal that the huge road/home differential is perhaps a result of "home" being the only constant in a year of extreme change.

The contrast for the home vs. road games for the team this year has been simply amazing. Everyone knows that a team plays better at home than on the road, but this extreme? Don't the oddsmakers give like an extra 4 points for being at home? SLU is probably running a 20+ point road handicap. You take Dayton to overtime at home... and lose by 37 at their place (against a weaker team due to injuries). You set a record for lowest scoring game on the road... and then beat a ranked team for the first time in 4 years at home. Talk about Jekyll and Hyde...

Looking at SLU's road record alone, you would think they are possibly the least talented team in the country. Slu's lowest scoring game- 20 points. Largest loss differential- 41 points. Look at how this compares to 2 of the worst teams in the country- winless NJIT and North Florida. Lowest scoring game for either- 28 points. Largest loss differential- 42. Yet this same SLU team, which is comparable on the road to the worst teams in the country, can manage to have a 8 and 3 home record, with all 3 losses being close affairs. Looking at SLU's home record alone, you would think they may have tournament possibilities. This is where the idea that the bills are "untalented" breaks down for me. If SlU's road record is indicative of our talent level, then we should be getting spanked no matter where we play. A truly untalented team loses on the road, home, neutral it doesn't matter. There are still winless teams out there- they are the untalented ones. So what do we have? A moderate amount of talent that is able to overachieve at home. I will offer a proposal that the huge road/home differential is perhaps a result of "home" being the only constant in a year of extreme change.

For the first time, I feel the bills would have a better record if Sodie was still coaching.

For the first time, I feel the bills would have a better record if Sodie was still coaching.

That may be true. One would have to think that they would be more competitive on the road at least. Still, even if Majerus himself was the entire cause of our road woes, I would rather have him as our coach. Hopefully, these issues will be resolved when Majerus has his own players to work with next year combined with our carryover players having a year of experience in his system. Long term, I have faith in Majerus and I am willing to deal with the pain of this season for the potential we have in years to come.

That may be true. One would have to think that they would be more competitive on the road at least. Still, even if Majerus himself was the entire cause of our road woes, I would rather have him as our coach. Hopefully, these issues will be resolved when Majerus has his own players to work with next year combined with our carryover players having a year of experience in his system. Long term, I have faith in Majerus and I am willing to deal with the pain of this season for the potential we have in years to come.

Old news, but I think we would be worse with BS. He'd be a lame duck coach with a big whiff on the local recruiting class he was counting on. Team moral would be in the dumps and everyone would be calling for his ouster. This year isn't good, but there's hope for the future. That wouldn't be the case with BS.