NCAA 3 point line moves back a foot!!!

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/news?slug=ap...ov=ap&type=lgns

I've been saying this needs to happen for a long time. Should be interesting. Won't affect Kevin much, we'll see about Tommie. Dwayne "Double Penetration" Polk® better start practicing his 3's from the bench.

EDIT: If approved (a second time???) on May 25th, will be effective for the 2008 season. I guess DP's off the hook on this one.

This is a move designed by the coaches of the major school conferences. The 3pt line (in their minds) has enabled teams to beat more athletic/"talented" teams in bigger conferences. Butler would be an example of that this year, the princeton/air force teams would be another.

Personally I like the idea because it opens up the motion offense more along with allowing post players a bit more room to operate. I don't think it is going to have the effect that big time schools are hoping for becuase it is also going to stretch the shooting range of the big time schools' players.

Anything to keep the success of the top 15% of college basketball. I won't be suprised when they move the number of teams making the NCAA tournament to the +80s with an extra full day of the tournament.

I see that as a reason too, really hurts teams like Houston that can just get hot and take down anybody by tossing up shots from 3 all day.

I feel like college players should shoot from a different 3 point line than 6th graders. The good shooters can stroke it from anywhere as evidenced by the smooth transition a lot of sharpshooters have to the NBA. But that is an awful big jump of 19'9" to 23'9". Hopefully this will better prepare those that can hit the long range shot, and weed out those who can't. An extra foot would have kept Vouyoukas on the block where he belonged.

This move will make teams like Air Force and Princeton better because it will spread the floor more. The Princeton offense runs more efficiently when defenders are spread around the floor making it easier for passing and moving without the ball. Look for Gtown to benefit greatly from it, even teams like Richmond that play the same offense will be happy with this.