at least they are trying.......

http://espn.go.com/ncaa/news/2004/0121/1714814.html

the above link goes to an espn story that details the ncaa's proposal to penalize teams that are actually recruiting athletes instead of student athletes. i.e. the kids better stay in school, they better be making grades and graduating. recruit too many basketball only players and you will pay.

It is a start. I don't see how it would ever work fairly if you only look at graduation and academic progress. Schools all have different academic standards. Progress toward a degree at Harvard does not equate to progress toward a degree at Arkansas. I see this as punishing the schools that have academic standards. And letting the schools whose degrees are not worth the paper they are written continue as they always have.

i agree billy. it seems impossible. but they at least realize that a problem is there and they need to get rid of the "no student" aspect of college basketball and football. what turns and stops they make along the way will be interesting.