SLU Hockey

OK, You really made me put my thinking cap on to come up with some of these. The Ref who was heckled mercilessly? Frank Larson. (He officiated abaout 60% of our home games didn't he?) The Gary ____ who was a center for the Bills? Gary Murphy--frequently played on a line with Wayne "the worm" Ormson. The defenseman named Doug? Doug Butler. Another defenseman who had some skill but lost some playing time because of a detached retina suffered in an auto accident--Kevin Healey. With the relatively short history of Billiken hockey, there weren't that many goalies who played for us. But you've all left out one of the best--Brian O'Connell. I don't know why, but I have some recollection of a Chicago kid being a bit of a fan favorite--Mark Uvodich. One of our best players from the Rick Kennedy teams--John Nestic. And we all got a kick out of having a Japanese-Canadian player--Dan Tsubouchi.

Due to the fact that a high percentage of our Canadian friends were fond of a fashion trend at the time, we were quick to suggest that to play high level hockey one had to wear CLOGS!

Ahh, there you are. I supposed I'd have to wait until near midnight to hear from you.

Now that you mention it, I think Doug Butler married a local girl as well (was it a Pecher? Sister or cousin of a great local soccer player?) and stayed in the area and might still be around. The P-D archives seem to indicate he asst. coached at CBC for a while, but I don't have access to the full stories at home.

One other name, not us, but a hated opponent (Bowling Green) who became a St. Louis fave (as a Blue): Mike Liut.

Oooh! Oooh! Oooh! My Google-fu is strong. Check this out: All Billiken hockey rosters (albeit incomplete). Starts with 1971 and scrolls forward:

http://www.fanbase.com/St-Louis-Billikens-...-1970-71/roster

The kid from DeSmet was Greg Zielinski, who I think is still in town as well.

Another pertinent name is Herm Kriegshauser of the mortuary family, who was a major booster.