Calling Out JJ

Billinikens

I've posted in two threads about yesterday's game, both times focusing on IV's lack of impressive play at Carbondale yesterday. I don't think it should be ignored, however, that JJ could have very easily been the key for us had he been able to stay in the game and guard one of the inside people for SIU. We needed a big with more athleticism than IV has that could keep up with Shaw or Falker and at least make them work a bit harder for their rebounds and baskets. JJ played very undisciplined and wound up watching from the bench for 33 minutes. This was a gigantic step back for him after what I thought was encouraging play over the past few games. I think it's clear that against quality teams that have inside/outside balance, we need him to be able to stay on the floor and give us quality minutes. IV can't do it alone, that much is clear.

Agree with your criticism but JJ has always been prone to foul trouble. The only thing that masks it is his lack of playing time. This is why, along with others on the board, I have to really question why we are going with such a short bench. We need another big not named Bryce inserted into the mix--Dixon or Knollmeyer. Personally, I'd like to see us give Dixon a look. Fine, he doesn't get Brad's offense yet. All we need is 10 minutes of hard defense and rebounding. He has the tools and mental mindset to give us this.

I agree with you. If HD can pick up the non-scoring parts of the offense (and assuming he's picking up the defensive schemes), why not put him in there? We aren't looking for (nor do we need to look for in my opinion) much scoring from the 4. Would have to guess that HD (and AK) haven't picked up the game to UB's satisfaction.