After the Big East Split

STLfan

IF the Big East splits after the current TV deal expires (doubtful), a conference is already there for the basketball only members that would be very competitive. Not only have the basketball schools already taken possession of the Big East name, but they also have sole rights to MSG as the conference tourney venue.

The Big East would be:

Marquette

ND (thanks to Charlie Weiss)

DePaul

G-town

Nova

Providence

Seton Hall

St. Johns

At most the Big East, sans football, would be looking to add 1, maybe 2 teams (if ND were to leave, which is doubtful at this point), and SLU is not near the top of that list. The ideal set-up is 9 teams, that way you have 16 conference games and play everybody twice. For those hoping MU would be kicked out, there was only 1 of the 5 schools that was a unanimous choice to join the new Big East - want to take a guess on who that was (hint: it wasn't Cincy, L-ville, DePaul or USF)?

You make an interesting point about DePaul, 88, but to say MU and DePaul are not rivals is not true. There is a ton of history between the 2 programs (particularly the McGuire/Meyer years) and Chicago is an important market and recruiting ground for MU.

>You make an interesting point about DePaul, 88, but to say

>MU and DePaul are not rivals is not true. There is a ton of

>history between the 2 programs (particularly the

>McGuire/Meyer years) and Chicago is an important market and

>recruiting ground for MU.

This is a SLU board and I don't want to argue the point in detail, but it wasn't much of a rivalry in the McGuire years. I think MU won 18 or 20 in a row during one stretch. I have lived in Milwaukee for most of my life, my dad is an MU alum, and I can honestly say that DePaul was never more than team MU played. DePaul was good in the 50's and after Al retired they had a nice little run. I guess the so-called rivalry did pick up in the early 80's when DePaul peaked, but since the early 90's, MU is something like 26-3 against DePaul.