Maaaaaaaaaaaaan Did you guys miss a good time or what?

SLUNATE

Homecoming '03 Report...Day one...

I can't say what kind of fun or tom-foolery may have happened at the Golden Billiken or School of Law events, but I can say that the general gathering/Swingin' Slu/Taste of Saint Louis event was a rousing success. Friends and Alums gathered in the quad at dusk, enjoying a perfect evening of camaraderie with their fellow Billiken Blue. If you had attended, you would have been able to nosh on treats from lots of St. Louis restaurants including SLU favorites The Pasta House and Humphrey’s. A few St. Louis specialty treats were available, including the world famous Ted Drewes frozen custard and Gus’s Pretzels. Additionally, you could sip Fitz’s root beer, specialty Saint Louis University vintages of merlot and chardonnay as well as fine, fine micro-brews from Schlafly

(A sidebar, counselor. Every time I offered someone a Gus’s pretzel, they asked me if it was as good as a Philly pretzel…I thought Philly was known for the cheese steaks? Are we for joining the A-10 for the pretzels? Were you guys pulling a fast one on me? Someone help me out here.)

Music for the evening came in two sets, the first provided by a great local band, Vargas Swing. If you attended SLU in the late nineties, you’ll remember how good they were from ‘swing night’ at the Firehouse (if you are around town now, you’ll note several members play together under the moniker of The Urban Jazz Naturals). They played some classics by Benny Goodman and Patsy Cline, but they’ve since added some salsa, classic jazz and bossa nova…they were smokin. Later in the evening, you could rock out to the eclectic sound of Dr. Zhivegas. It was a great time, and it was only ONE of the events you could have participated in.

Couldn’t make it tonight? I’ll forgive you. Perhaps you’ll come later this weekend? If not…you’ve somewhere around three hundred and sixty or so days to psyche yourself up for HC-04.

I’ll post more as the weekend goes on…