Fuehrmeyer commits to SMS

Francis Howell Central point guard Justin Fuehrmeyer committed to Southwest Missouri State.

http://sports.news-leader.com/smsu/0803-St...gua-147606.html

Fuehrmeyer appeared to be headed to Dartmouth but he must have made a great impression with the SMS coaching staff. Apparently he's had a great summer, but the last time I saw him he was getting cut from the St. Louis Eagles. It's nice to see everything worked out for him.

Add-on: Here is a link to Fuehrmeyer's stats: http://prepsports3.stltoday.com/basketball...overall616.shtm

His teammate, Mike Parson, is also a nice player. Parson recently committed to play baseball at Austin Peay. Those two will make Howell Central one of the top teams in St. Louis next season.

- Nate

Fuehrmeyer is a nice player. He's a 6-foot point guard who can distribute and shoot.

He's gotten good reviews this summer playing for the Gateway Basketball Club -- he plays with Mizzou commit and Lafayette swingman Matt Lawrence and Warrenton Christian's Dane Brumagin -- because he can set up his teammates and score when he has to.

He didn't make the St. Louis Eagles AAU squad this spring; the Eagles kept Lafayette guard Landon Shipley and Webster Groves point guard Jay Robinson instead. I haven't seen Fuehrmeyer much, but I would think Shipley and Robinson are better guards. Shipley is a great scorer but more of a shooting guard. Robinson is small, but is a great leader and plays tough on-ball defense.

In Howell Central's biggest game last season, in the state playoffs against Chaminade, Fuehrmeyer was sick and didn't play. I don't know how you can miss a game like that.

This commitment is surprising because Fuehrmeyer is probably very similar to Monroe Douglass Jr., who SMS recruited but didn't offer a scholarship. Fuehrmeyer is probably a better shooter, but I would think Monroe would be a better player.

SMS also just got a commitment from 6-2 Kickapoo guard Shane Laurie, Spencer's little brother, who can play the point or two spot.

- Nate

If Fuehrmeyer couldn't help the Eagles this summer he must have improved significantly in the late April to late July timeframe.

The Eagles were unusually poor this season, probably didn't play over .500 ball. Their problem was absolutely no quality guard play. Without Tyler H, the Eagles would have probably won only two or three games all season.

Good luck to SMS and the Fuehrmeyer kid@!