scheduling

choice

in talking briefly with earl austin at the game monday night, he said one of the positive aspects of being in the atlantic 10 was that we can still play a similar schedule and get home and home against teams from major conferences. it's just tough for those good mid-major programs to get those games on a consistent basis (other than those early-season tournaments). I think roy mentioned this earlier. earl said all you have to do is look at the non-conference schedules of the two leagues. that's what i did. here's what i found.

St. Joseph

dec. 9 - boston college

dec 20 California

feb. 2- at villanova

Temple

Nov. 21 villanova

nov.29 Illinois

dec 9 arizona state

dec. 15 south carolina

jan 3 at indiana

feb. 14 georgetown

rhode island

nov. 30 at syracuse

dec. 23 charlotte

dec. 8 providence

xavier

nov. 29 indiana

dec. 13 mississippi state

dec. 23 at texas

jan. 13 at alabama

feb. 3 cincinnati

St. bonaventure

dec. 3 syracuse

Richmond

dec. 3 at uab

dec. 6 wake forest

Umass

Dec. 30 at unconn

jan 3 Tennessee

Dayton

dec. 23 Cincinnati

by contrast

missouri valley

Smsu

dec. 20 saint louis

creighton

Nov. 29 st. bonaventure

Dec. 10 Nebraska

dec. 13 fresno state

dec. 22 wyoming

bradley

dec. 7 at depaul

dec. 29 at unlv

southern illinois

jan. 2 charlotte

northern iowa

iowa

*i won't bore you with everything, but i think you get the point. and notice how many home games that a 10 schools have against those programs from the elite leagues. that means a higher RPI and a better chance at the big dance.

just look at creighton, which was a top 10 league last year at one time. the best they can do for nonconference game are the likes of nebraska, wyoming and fresno state. not bad teams, but it's not getting arizona, ucla, illinois, missouri in your house. sms should have a hell of good team this year, but the biggest name on their nonconference schedule this year is us.

most of their top nonconference games are against other top mid-major schools. that's why they created that bracket buster deal, to hopefully give the mid majors a little bump. it's just tough for mid majors to get big time nonconference games because the big boys won't play them a home and home on a regular basis. we would have had the same problem in the mvc. we won't in the a 10. we can still have home and home with the big boys if we so choose for the future.

Don't forget that UMass is likely on a temporary scheduling lull because they don't expect to rebuild a bit this year. They have been able to get ACC, Big East, and even Big 10 temas (Ohio State broke the ice 2 years ago) to come to Amherst.

Actually Ohio State like UMass so much that stayed and practiced at the Mullins Center day of and day after.