OT: Quin Snyder article

TheBand

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story...pearlman/080418

Quin Snyder is in Austin ... but a long way from the Big 12

By Jeff Pearlman

Special to Page 2

AUSTIN, Texas -- It is 2:45 p.m., and the homeless are anxious to bathe.

They linger in the lobby of the Parque Zaragoza Recreation Center, a dispirited collection of men and women in tattered pants and worn T-shirts and sneakers with holes the size of nickels. Three or four times per week, many of Austin's less fortunate file their way through Parque Zaragoza's front doors, assured that the bathrooms will be clean and the shower water hot.

Yet on this day, a Wednesday in early April, there is a snag.

Quin Snyder is now coaching in the shadow of the University of Texas, but he's a world away from the seven-figure salaries of the Big 12.

Because of a conflict at the nearby convention center, the Austin Toros of the NBA Development League are holding their practice here at Parque Zaragoza. Hence, the bathroom -- located inside the gymnasium -- is temporarily off limits so that DerMarr Johnson, former NBA lottery pick, can hoist a string of errant jump shots and Andre Barrett, a one-time Seton Hall phenom, can flash one wicked pass after another; so that Carldell Johnson, last seen leading UAB to the second round of the 2005 NCAA tournament, can practice free throws and Kenton Paulino, the former Texas guard who … "Excuse me."

The woman's voice is soft. It goes unheard.

"Excuse me!" she says again, this time tapping the left shoulder of Perri Travillion, the Toros' manager of media and community relations.

"Yes?" Travillion says.

"The homeless are here to take their showers."

"Uh, what?" Travillion asks.

"The homeless -- they shower here," says the woman, a Parque Zaragoza employee. "They need the bathrooms. Is your group going to be a lot longer?"

Travillion shrugs, waits for a break in the action and tiptoes toward her team's coach, a skinny white man with long, combed-back brown hair, broad shoulders and a boyish face. He is wearing baggy black shorts and a black Toros T-shirt and has legs the width of pretzel sticks.

"The homeless people need the gym soon," Travillion tells the man, a look of disbelief creasing her face. "To shower."

Quin Snyder nods knowingly, as if he has spent a lifetime having his basketball practices cut short by the bathing needs of Austin's homeless. He runs a couple of more plays, gives a five-minute pep talk, then waves a concessionary hand toward Travillion. "We're done," he says softly. "Let 'em in …"

With that, Snyder retreats to the nearby bleachers, leans back on his elbows and watches the people shuffle through. There is a noticeable comfort in the mutual anonymity -- Snyder has no idea what twists of fate led to their homelessness; the homeless have no idea what twists of fate led Snyder to Parque Zaragoza. Neither side seems overly concerned.

"I don't need to be recognized," Snyder says. "Don't need to be on TV or have a radio show, either. I'm happy with this sort of status. Genuinely happy."

(continues)

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...earlman/080418

Well, he posted it so I guess he does. If you don't care, don't click on the thread.

I actually thought the collection of names (from Quin to DerMarr Johnson, etc) and the descriptions of the conditions of the "D-League" were really interesting. It is really the darkside of all the hopes and dreams of the NBA -- unfulfilled. i am actually happy that he's happy.