My favorite Division I School

This from the Daytona Beach News Journal regarding the recent SLU opponent Savannah State's basketball program. Imagine your coach has his son playing for him. Imagine that the son isnt even enrolled in school. Consider that the coach isnt even let go for this infraction. The coach's quotes in this article are priceless....

News buried in Savannah

By GEORGE HANNS

Staff Writer

Last update: 25 July 2004

Last week Savannah State sent out a press release reporting that the school has submitted the results of an internal investigation involving the eligibility of a men's basketball player.

It seems the player had, oops, never registered for classes in the spring. It happens, right?

So the press release goes on to say that the school fired its assistant for eligibility and compliance and put its head coach, Ed Daniels Jr., on a two-year probation. The team also must forfeit all games won last season. (Though it doesn't mention that there were only four -- including one over Bethune-Cookman.)

The release ends with a quote from the coach: "I deeply regret the error, which is further compounded by the fact that the ineligible player is my son (Jamal Daniels) who lived on campus during the school year. I value each player on my team and worked to treat each player -- including my son -- equally.

"In trying to avoid any appearances of favoritism toward my son, I did not request any more of him than I did of the other athletes . . ."

Wha, wha, what??? The coach didn't know his own son wasn't going to class? Any classes!

Something tells me the sports information folks at Savannah State could find a job over at the Speedway.