Recruiting competition FYI+H.Waldman

I spoke with a friend who coaches his son's club team and went to a tournament in Houston this past weekend; I think he said it was the Kingwood Classic. Approx. 750 teams of 15-17 year olds from around the country. He said the who's who of Div1 was there: Tom Izzo, Coach K, Roy Williams (whom he sat with for one game, but that's another story), and Lute Olson to name a few. And how many unrecognizable assistant's. He expects to see the same faces in Akron at a slightly smaller tournament.

I think this highlights the intensity of the competition for recruits as kids are now being identified when they are sophomores, and younger.

Side note: my friend was talking to a dad from another team and the dad turned out to be H.Waldman: small world.

It is the Kingwood Classic in Houston and it is one of the premier AAU events, in large part due to its timing with the open period in recruiting.

Gateway and Eagles clubs competed in different divisions and age brackets, as well as clubs from KC (Mo Kan Players did well in thier bracket)

Over 300 D1 schools were on hand - head coaches and assts.

I understood nearly 900 teams competed.

I'm sure we will get a first hand account from at least one poster.

This is a premier event for the August signing period, and great viewing to the '09 and '10 classes