A few comments re So. Miss game

bauman

1. Great defense. It keeps us in game when we struggle on O.

2. Loved the Band's response to the idiot, BB of Sound Off fame-way to go guys and gals!

3. Maybe the worst officiated game I have been to in 30+ years despite the disparity in fouls the second half. The So Miss defenders all went to acting school and the refs continued to buy their act and how about the call in front of the TV announcers when the ball was knocked away from AD right in front of the old ref and he gave the ball to SM. Not that it might have mattered based on the free throws that he did attempt, but TF got hammered often with no whistle. Tom, learn to fall when hit or go up stronger and make the basket.

4. Reading about the bus problem AGAIN is inexcusable-someone in the SLU administration needs to fix this NOW or be fired. It shouldn't take a Ph. D to arrange for a bus to pick up students!!!

5. Brad, you are doing a great job, but we can't go the final 6-7 minutes of a close game without a FG. It seemed like we were afraid to take any shot from farther away than 4-5 feet for most of the 2nd half, instead opting for difficult drive shots (many of which were ill-advised). JF, AD and even RB appeared hesitant to put up 18-20 footers when they have better chances on them than difficult drives with athletic defenders hanging all over them. Our insistence on getting the ball down deep (in the 2nd half) nearly cost us the game-it wasn't like this was a team that we could dominate in the paint. Take the open outside shot over the closely defended dribble penetration shot!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe SLU was in the 1 and 1 from about the 10 minute mark of the second half. I'm not sure when SoMiss got their 10th second half foul. That said, nothing wrong with RB, JF, AD or CS driving the lane for a good lay-up and/or a foul late in the game. (Assuming you are going to get the call on the foul.)

On Brad's radio show Sunday nite,he stated that he was thinking of going a little deeper into his rotation,perhaps 8-10 men at times during the game.He stated that his main reason for this was that he believed that we we're coming up a little tired at the end of games,legs were weary, shots were a little short,we did'nt take of the ball as well etc.Last nite's game certainly supported this theory as we did'nt score a fg for what,the last 7 minutes.Maybe we will be seeing more of the frosh in the near future.

bauman said, "Maybe the worst officiated game I have been to in 30+ years"

i was not at the game last nite as it was my daughter's first game of the year, and as much of a billiken fanatic that i am, i am a bigger fan of my two kids and their sports. but i did see the last 12 minutes on charter.

as soon as i saw both o'neill and burr, that spells trouble officiating wise. you have two refs that think they are the show and love to make godlike makeup calls and the big call at the end of the games, it will always be ugly. the traveling/shot clock call at the end of the game was horrible. the right call was actually a foul on varner or no call. the second best call was o'neill's traveling call as the so miss player did travel after varner bumped him. the worst and totally wrong call was the shot clock. the so miss player had control of the ball already and the shot clock still showed 1 second. so if that is the case, the shot clock should have reset for so miss. no way that was a shot clock call.

While last night's victory was a fairly ugly one, it struck me that in the year and a half that Soderberg has been at SLU, our teams have been winning the majority of close games that we almost always lost under Romar, which is often the difference between playing in the post season or planning for next year. I think it's due to a combination of preparation and mental toughness. It's definitely good to have an off night and still win.

There was a 5.5 second difference between the shot clock and the game clock. Yet 6.3 seconds was put on the clock after the shot clock violation. It doesn't take an actuary to figure out that the refs screwed that one up.

You are so right about Burr and O"Neill. I watched Burr closely all night and he treated Brad with disdain and no respect at all. It was like he was saying --you are a young coach and I am a BIG TIME referee so you have to know your place. It is totally ridiculous. I know this is an unproven "conspiracy theory" but I think some refs go into games with the idea that a certain team should win the game, particularly in the conference. Now that we are leaving, and we are not a "national" team in the overall scheme of things, I think the conference wants its ranked teams to win and the teams that are remaining to win and it could care less if the Bills lost all their games. When you combine that with arrogant refs who love to dictate the outcome of games, you see constant calls against our Bills, over and over again! It is unbelievably frustrating as you sit a few rows from the court and watch the game unravel because of terrible calls!

burr's "day" goes back to the late 70's and early 80's as a top official. he needs to hang it up. that decision to overrule o'neil's travel was a great example of a makeup call imo. when they went over and watched the replay, how much you want to bet they saw they missed varner's foul and the shot clock thing was a compromise. that is total b.s. to godlike make a decision like that. imo, that call was worse than josh's 5 second call in milwaukee.

on josh's call, we still had an opportunity after that. last nite, the refs handed so miss the last chance and they sure got a nice look.

I had a mental note that the differential was 5.8, but that still would have proven the call wrong. Ref calls travelling. Travelling mandates possession. Possession restarts the shot clock. Refs blew call. For the hundredth or so time in the past few years, we aren't playing on a level court, even at home.

I'm also not real pleased that none of the local media have highlighted the fact that there have been really, really controversial calls that basically changed the flow of both of the last two games.

And I second the criticism of Philips regarding the final call, which is irrefutable: It was the PA announcer's DUTY to explain the call, *especially* when they went to the tape to review it. The lack of professionalism in our event management is very disturbing, but no one at the University seems to give even a rat's left cheek.

Too often our athletic administration operates a covert operation. At times they seem to pride themselves on the we-know-more-than-you-do BS. Not only does it hurt the fans, but over the years it has really turned off a lot of the local media. This, in turn, hasn't helped benefit our local media coverage or perception.

Willie, I went back and watched the tape of the game and it was horrible from start to finish-see other posts below. OK, maybe it wasn't the worst game in 30 years, but it certainly is among them and I can't remember one that was worse. Not only did they miss calls but they were arrogant while doing so. Ask fans in Sections 116-118 about O'Neill baiting the fans and then laughing at them during a TV timeout after one of his p-poor calls right in front of them. Also, while we have talked about BS's technical we haven't talked about the play that caused it, a clear mistake in a distant ref overruling the call of a ref in much better position (and much closer) to the incident. Surely C-USA can get better refs than these 3-they were SORRY!!!

For your frame of reference, I have never posted anything critical of game officials b/4 today>

Bauman I don't think O'Neil is that bad. He tries to be friendly with the fans. Don't forget he tried to give us the walk at the end of the game. Now if you want to say Burr was looking for a fight I would agree. As I said before they missed calls,but they did not decide a game like the Arizona game officials.

count me in the group that had a celebration when rucker retired! i like sansone better than o'neill and welmer. but he does have that "dont cross me" face on like valentine. you are correct on that.