Contract?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I assume that was Nark's thinking before 8:00 tonight? The combination of closing last season with a string of losses when an NCAA appearance is within reach, choking in the big games with national recognition at stake, or getting outplayed by one of the worst teams in the country has pushed Nark over the edge. And that is before I begin to fume over two straight failed recruiting classes.

I am not on the fire Brad train yet. I will give him until selection sunday for that one. If SLU goes 14-1 to finish the season, I am a-okay with it. But I want to see Saint Louis pop up on my television on Selection Sunday. If not, SLU needs to consider a different direction. People can argue that we need consistency in our program. However, the having NO fall recruits this season is ridiculous. When was the last time that happened? And how the hell are we going to attract players with just a fancy building. We have Mike Anderson to our West who is going to build a fine program, and we have a rising Missouri Valley Conference around us. There is no next year. This is the year for SLU.

I agree. In many ways SLU sort of missed their chance to jump up a level while Mizzou was in the crapper with all sorts of scandal surrounding the program and before MO St. began improving. We neeed to do well the rest of the year or it could set us back a ways. If Brad doesn't show that this was just one bad game by still making it to the NCAAs then I'll start to think that it might be time for him to go.

I don't think we need to run the table. If we go 13-3 in the A-10, I can see us with an at large. Teams have gotten in with one bad loss. However, we will definitely have to assert that we are the best team in the A-10 to get in. The A-10 is no more than a 2 bid this year...

that is what I have said all along. Usually I'm not into all the bashing before the race is over ... I'd rather let it play out and then make a decision ...

But somehow today ... I just feel like bashing. Someone has to ... our Bills certainly didn't.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

Official Sponser of the Stemmler and Ahearn could and would have helped club.

That is definitely the sentiment. People are going to be more negative tonight than they have all season. I am not a very big Brad fan tonight, but my emotions will tone down after a couple of days and I will be at Scottrade on Saturday cheering them on.

However, Duquesne may have a huge chip on their shoulder. St. Joes is beating them by over 40 with 10 minutes to play...YEEEEEEEEEEOUCH

If Brad was let go at the end of the season, it may present an opportunity to recruit a big-name coach with the local high school talent in the pipeline, soon-to-open arena, and core base of talent (assuming Lisch and Liddell would agree to stay).

>I am not on the fire Brad train yet. I will give him until

>selection sunday for that one. If SLU goes 14-1 to finish

>the season, I am a-okay with it. But I want to see Saint

>Louis pop up on my television on Selection Sunday. If not,

>SLU needs to consider a different direction. People can

>argue that we need consistency in our program. However, the

>having NO fall recruits this season is ridiculous. When was

>the last time that happened? And how the hell are we going

>to attract players with just a fancy building. We have Mike

>Anderson to our West who is going to build a fine program,

>and we have a rising Missouri Valley Conference around us.

>There is no next year. This is the year for SLU.

Signguy I have to agree with you on the no fall recruits issue. Coming off the season SLU just had with a first team All-conference selection in our center and Tommie winning ROY and KL joining Tommie on the All-Rookie team, returning 4 starters and he still cant land a fall commit. Thats pretty bad. Losing a legit center that wants to come in Josh Harrellson because you just didnt offer is worse, especially when that center plays your sons team twice a year and we know you've seen him play is even worse. I'm not gonna star the Fire Brad stuff as early as the others, but if he doesnt land Powell or some area guys like Rose and Pearson in the fall with all the scholarships he has, you can expect some fuming on my part.

Someone posted we can still make it if we go 13-3 in conference play. I say not even possible. I would love that to be the case, but when they look at our resume it would show:

W-L: 23-6 (not bad but....)

Key wins: Missouri St (Maybe key) - then maybe Xavier/Dayton - not too impressive (no rankings)

Key Losses: SAINT FREAKIN' BONEVENTURE

Not to mention our other losses weren't good losses. We got SMEARED by A&M, and 'hung in' with UNC for one half and still lost by 21.

I thought 23 or 24 would be enough, but now I really don't think so. You cannot lose to Boneventure and have a chance.

PROVE ME WRONG BILLS!

My understanding is the Brad's annual package is about half a million per season. I also understand that they offered Romar substantially more to retain him when he jumped ship to UW.

If the are willing to pay upper six figures, with the new facilities coming online, I would think it may be an attractive job for a top assistant at a big-time program or a well-known coach who is currently earning his living providing commentary for one of the many national sports outlets. Off the top of my head, I can't rattle off names (although Tommy Amaker will probably be looking for work in a few months).

No this is not a fire Brad now post. Again, we have to see how this season pans out. The loss to St B's is bad beyond words, but it's not a season killer. But his constant whining about how he "can't seem to reach these kids" is disheartening. That's one of the key characteristics required of any leader, getting people to follow instructions and changing their behavior. So just for the hell of it what would we look for in the next coach. It's obvious we don't have his replacement on our staff. We would need a guy who first of all has good contacts in the Midwest or East Coast (the A-10 deal). We don't need another Zo type who sees us a stepping stone back to the WC. Ideally has worked for a successful BCS program/head coach or a HC who built a successful program at a mid major (see the Butler coach?), a tireless worker, ala Mike Anderson, who is a big promoter for Mizzery. With an $80mil arena coming on line, any candidate would have to see the school is definitely committed to a successful hoops program, which is different than in the past. A look at WP, would discourage a lot of up and comers. To reinforce this commitment, we're probably looking at a pay scale of around $600 to $800k for five years w/ incentives. This is a small price to pay to fill the new arena and get some valuable advertising for the school. It's proven national recognition on the court brings more student applications. Put in the contact if the guy gets an offer, we get to match or up it. Also, give him the budget he thinks he needs to hire good AC's who could be his replacement. We're paying UB $400, that's well below big time salaries, sadly we're getting what we're paying for...no recruits, no bench to speak of, and a season on the brink of being another failure to meet the goal of every D1 program...getting to the dance.

If anyone who dogged UB for his slow down defensive pace is touting Chris Lowry ... get real.

Not only that ... why would he come here?

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

Official Sponser of the Stemmler and Ahearn could and would have helped club.