The official five-second rule

bonwich

Section 11. Closely Guarded

Art. 1. (Men) A player in control in the front court only while holding or dribbling the ball is closely guarded when his opponent is in a guarding stance at a distance not exceeding 6 feet.

Art. 2. (Women) A player in control anywhere on the playing court

while holding (not dribbling) the ball is closely guarded when her

opponent is in a guarding stance at a distance not exceeding 3 feet.

Art. 3. After the start of a five-second closely guarded count, in order for a closely guarded violation to occur, there shall be continuous guarding by the same opponent.

Art. 4. When a player is positioned between the player in control of

the ball and his or her opponent, who is within 6 feet (men) or 3 feet

(women), a closely guarded situation does not exist.

In short, this is a totally arbitrary rule that is obviously never enforced precisely as it is written. Its use at that point in the game was inexcusable. I trust that everyone on this board will appropriately "welcome" 1) the referee in question; 2) Mr. Welmer the next time they are assigned to a game at the Savvis Center.

the ref that made the call is terry moore. imo, terry is normally a very good ref that typically doesnt try to make the big call or showboat for the coaches and fans (see welmer or o'neill). his call of the 5 second call was not what i would have expected from him. strange indeed.

I thought you also get a free ride if you are dribbling toward the basket or pass a little mark on the side of the court, at about the level of the free throw line.

That is where I thought the rule was unfairly applied to Josh, since the call was made after he had dribbled past the free throw line toward the basket.

However they try to justify it, it was an absolutely outragious call and ruined a perfectly beautiful evening in the quiet comfort of Sportzone at Kenrick Plaza.

Steve, great idea and we'll need to do it again, perhaps when we are in the NCAA this spring and you are back home for spring break!

Official Billikens.com sponsor of John Duff