Calling all SLU basketball fans, please humor me a seco

courtside

If you had a coach who coached 6 seasons at SLU, and made it to the elite 8 twice, sweet 16 once, 2nd round once, and missed tourney twice in that time, what would you think of that coach?

To better answer just say your school since 1980, prior to that coaches arrival, the school in over 20 years total, made the elite 8 or better 4 times, what would you think of that coach? Pretend it is SLU basketball.

a) Fire him, dude titles every year or bust.

B) Son, did you say 1980, I can't remember that far back, but I get a coach in 6 years that does the above...I think we'll ****** him up thanks.

not a fair comparison. You know that. SLU soccer is not SLU basketball ... not comparable histories or availability of local talent.

You also forgot to mention that the 2 misses and 2nd round loss were the last 3 years. Also they have zero tourney wins in the last 3 years.

How many times overall in the tourney since 1980? Just off the top of my head ... I think the program had not missed since before 80 and had never had back to back losses.

So lets ask the same question ... you have a coach who has not won a tournament game in 3 years and missed it 2 out of the last 3 years. Missed in back to back years for the 1st time in the history of the program. This from a school that had been in the tourney 20 something times since 1980.

The record doesn't sound so good if you put it like that.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

Official Sponser of the Stemmler and Ahearn could and would have helped club.

Of course it is all in good fun, and it isn't apples to apples.

Joey Clarke was fired for having a LOSING record in a season, hence missing the NCAA's, in the 90's. Just an fyi.

So I will put it in order:

NCAA Quarters

NCAA 3rd Round

NCAA Quarters

Miss

Miss

NCAA 2nd Round

In those missed years, 3 superstar players unexpectedly turned pro early, previous extremely uncommon in college soccer, dramatically hurting the team, including National Frosh of the year leaving team in late summer just before practice starts.

Would I fire this coach? Nope. I might also add he has had his best recruiting class in a few years, a good one.