Powell Questions

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He's a long, springy athlete with a soft touch inside and range out to 15 ft. That type of player fits into any system. He rebounds well for a skinny kid. He also blocks shots. Leon Powell + college weight program would be a matchup nightmare in the A-10. If your point is that he isn't a starter out the gate, I agree with you.

Speaking for myself, I have no idea Powell's strengths and weaknesses. If we can get a local 3/4 who can shoot the ball and play defense to Brad's standards, I'd say great.

Do you have any insight on why he is still available? According to some we have offered. According to some Leon wants to be a Billiken.

Is Vtime's absence from the board a sign that Leon will not be available for whatever reason?

I haven't heard anything from Powell in a while. He has always said that he is interested in the schools that are interested in him. Vashon players do not speak much on their recruitment. I do believe that if Mike Anderson extends the offer, Powell will be a Tiger. However, I don't expect Powell to make a decision until the late period.

Vtime, I always thought you said he would go slu if they offered. They have. What gives? Now you say he will go to MU if they offer.

I want to see what kind of affect Bonner has on the V kids. Acedemics will become much more important. Also, it will might change the relationship between Gameface and the V. I wouldn't be suprised to see V kids playing for the Eagles in the near future.

>

>>OJ have you heard any news about Alexander?

>

>I haven't heard anything that I can comment on.

If we don't land this kid or don't have anybody in the bag this fall, I'm afraid I will inch closer to the recruiting doom and gloom crowd. Come on coach. Let's get it done.

>why would leon wait until the late period?

Give him more time to get his grades and or test scores in order.

If Bonner is hired I will fell better about his acedemics and his recruitment to SLU. If not he may go Mineral Area to Mizzou.

OJ you mean to tell me the AAU guru hasn't seen the best senior in the area play?

I've seen Mr Powell play for Vashon (Not Gameface) and have watched and played with him in pickups. He is not an out of this world athlete, but pretty close. He is quick, fast, wiry, and can jump. He knows how to play D outside as well as in the post, he has a nose for TOs and block shots. He has a better jumper than people think and some simple but effective post moves. Not a great ballhandler for a D-1 guy. I firmly believe he would be an effective D-1 PF. If he came here next year he may not start as a 4 due to our dearth of players there, but he would be an impact player in short order. It is really rare to see a guy who can board, block shots and is so fast. He won't be a Tyrus Thomas but he ahs a good combination of skills, very similar to a young AB.

I have seen Powell play a few times and maybe I missed something, but I in no way felt he would be able to contribute at the 4 on the D-1 level. I saw him as more of a combo guard; he does a good job of running the floor, but lacks the skill of a true guard and from what I saw he lacked the size to be a forward. He is what I would call a tweaner. I think he is a quality player, but not a guy who will come in and solve any pf problems we may have. Do you all see him being a legitimate 4 at this level? Who else is recruiting this kid?

Of Note: I would not say I have seen Powell play enough to have formed a real solid and informed opinion on him so I will take other posters word on this kid.

ACE said....."If we don't have anybody in the bag this fall"....."I will inch closer to the doom and gloom crowd". Why join the crowd?

SLU wants to sign two players this recruiting season (that recruiting season last from November 2006 until August 2007). As stated before, does it really make a difference if you sign Alexander in November or next April. Hell, by next April, Alexander will be a better player than he is today!

Everybody would like to get commitments from three McDonald All-Americans, or something close to that, by September. Sure, why not!

Bottom line, SLU needs to add two quality players this recruiting season that runs (rom today) until late August 2007. I personally don't care when we sign those two quality players or where they come from..... as long as they meet SLU's 2006-2007 recruiting needs.

>Vtime, I always thought you said he would go slu if they

>offered. They have. What gives? Now you say he will go to

>MU if they offer.

>

>I want to see what kind of affect Bonner has on the V kids.

>Acedemics will become much more important. Also, it will

>might change the relationship between Gameface and the V. I

>wouldn't be suprised to see V kids playing for the Eagles in

>the near future.

Where did I say he would be at Mizzou if they offer? I also cant blame a kid for weighing his options. SLU wasnt the first to offer him. They kept Leon waiting. now its their turn to wait. I agree with 3star's assessment of Powell. He's also soft-spoken, a nice kid, and grades arent an issue. Something I would like to add to 3star's assessment is that Powell doesnt demand the touches and can score without the ball as he led them in scoring the last two seasons despite not being the go-to-guy. He is a senior and will now be the go-to-guy. I heard that Walker was offered on the spot by coach Anderson, and Powell will get an offer only if Anderson doesnt get one of the guys he was recruiting while at UAB. I'm not certain on Walker, thats just the word on the street. Watch out for a sleeper named Alburey Doss. Known for his defense, the 3 star prospect was recently named the MVP of the Battle for Rankings Showcase run by Falconsbball. He nows stands 6'5 and is no long just a power guard and he has put serious work into his outside shot after showing flashes of three point range last season. Strong prospect. I haven't asked, but I'm still not sure SLU ever offered Powell. I wouldnt doubt it. He's the top uncommitted senior in the state.

>I have seen Powell play a few times and maybe I missed

>something, but I in no way felt he would be able to

>contribute at the 4 on the D-1 level. I saw him as more of

>a combo guard; he does a good job of running the floor, but

>lacks the skill of a true guard and from what I saw he

>lacked the size to be a forward. He is what I would call a

>tweaner. I think he is a quality player, but not a guy who

>will come in and solve any pf problems we may have. Do you

>all see him being a legitimate 4 at this level? Who else is

>recruiting this kid?

>

>Of Note: I would not say I have seen Powell play enough to

>have formed a real solid and informed opinion on him so I

>will take other posters word on this kid.

Bradley was his first offer. From people close to the program, here are the schools in the running, Saint Louis, Missouri, Illinois, Missouri State, Bradley, and Southern Illinois. Western illinois and Illinois State cant be counted out because they have Vashon players on their roster.

>ACE said....."If we don't have anybody in the bag this

>fall"....."I will inch closer to the doom and gloom crowd".

>Why join the crowd?

>

>SLU wants to sign two players this recruiting season (that

>recruiting season last from November 2006 until August

>2007). As stated before, does it really make a difference if

>you sign Alexander in November or next April. Hell, by next

>April, Alexander will be a better player than he is today!

>

>Everybody would like to get commitments from three McDonald

>All-Americans, or something close to that, by September.

>Sure, why not!

>

>Bottom line, SLU needs to add two quality players this

>recruiting season that runs (rom today) until late August

>2007. I personally don't care when we sign those two

>quality players or where they come from..... as long as they

>meet SLU's 2006-2007 recruiting needs.

You're right. Alexander probably will be a better player in April, which supports my point that we should lock him up in November. If we don't, there could be a lot more competition for him in the spring.

If you are referring to me as the AAU guru, which I am not, I have seen the best senior in the area play and his name is not Leon Powell. There are about 4 or so seniors that I would say are better than him:

Marvin McNutt

Josh Harrellson

Zach Plackemeier

Paul Eckerle

Rolandis Woodland

julius, i think there is zero chance that mcnutt plays basketball. if he doesnt go to football he may get drafted in baseball.

while the others may have immediate games that are the equal or better than powell, i'd take powell over them simply on his physical potential. he is an athlete with some height.

>If you are referring to me as the AAU guru, which I am not,

>I have seen the best senior in the area play and his name is

>not Leon Powell. There are about 4 or so seniors that I

>would say are better than him:

>

>Marvin McNutt

>Josh Harrellson

>Zach Plackemeier

>Paul Eckerle

>Rolandis Woodland

You are delusional. I like those 4 guys, but be serious. A 6'7 talent that runs the floor extremely well, is fundamentally sound, unselfish, has character, and is a winner. He has held his own playing alongside 4 all-metro first teamers, and a 2nd teamer, while being a 2nd and 3rd teamer in his own right. I'm pretty sure he'll be the first player to make all 3 teams although he should've been at least 2nd team last year after being 2nd team as a sophomore. Of the 4 guys you listed only Harrellson and maybe Plackemeier may make all-metro first team. Plackemeier should NOT have been 2nd team this year while Powell was on 3rd team. That was an outrage. Powell should've been 1st team as a sophomore after being the leading scorer, rebounder, and shotblocker on a 29-1 team that was top ranked in the nation. I still dont understand how he got robbed that year.

Frankly, if Powell is as good a player as you (Vtime) say he is, it is an outrage that the schools "in the running" are as weak as they are. Face it, on a national level, only the Illini qualify.

I'm with broy when he says there is more than meets the eye here. Suggs is getting national attention. Brandenburg. Griffey. Even by the trickle down principle, you'd think the guys looking at these kids would stumble on Leon by pure happenstance. Odd. Very odd.

While I don't completely agree with OJ about the players he would take before Powell, some of those guys are more intriguing college prospects than Powell.

If you believe VTime's hype about Leon Powell's game over the last however many months, you'd think Powell is like a combination of Jimmy McKinney, Nick Kern and Anthony Bonner.

Powell is a good high school basketball player, but he's not the blue chip prospect that some people have been trying to sell you. He's got OK height (anywhere from 6 feet 4 to 6-7) and he can run and jump, but he still needs to get stronger and develop his all-around game to make an impact at a mid-major college program.

Scott Suggs, John Brandenburg and Tyler Griffey are on another level as prospects compared to Powell. No, those three haven't achieved the success Powell has so far. But big-time colleges look at those three kids and can see what they could turn out to be down the road. Powell could be a nice player in college in a few years, but he's got to get stronger and improve both around the basket and out on the perimeter.

And people, please stop asking VTime why Powell hasn't committed. Except for going to college a short drive from Vashon, VTime doesn't know anymore about Powell than probably a few other posters here.

- Nate

>Frankly, if Powell is as good a player as you (Vtime) say he

>is, it is an outrage that the schools "in the running" are

>as weak as they are. Face it, on a national level, only the

>Illini qualify.

>

>I'm with broy when he says there is more than meets the eye

>here. Suggs is getting national attention. Brandenburg.

>Griffey. Even by the trickle down principle, you'd think

>the guys looking at these kids would stumble on Leon by pure

>happenstance. Odd. Very odd.

I guees leading the Nike Jamboree in scoring and getting invited to and playing in the NIke Camp mean nothing. You're right Powell is a bum. NOT!! It just looks as if he wants to play close to home.

They know about him. He just doesn't have a qualifying score yet.

http://florida.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=539400

"A handful of Big 12 programs are recruiting junior power forward Leon Powell (6-6) and he showed why immediately. The prep star from national power Vashon High (St. Louis) outplayed some of the nation's top players in head-to-head battles, including the Tallahassee Wildcats' A.J. Stewart (Ranked No. 77 in the class of 2007).

Powell, who plays with an aggressive streak, used his strength and athleticism to give Stewart problems on the inside and scored 16 points to lead the Saint Louis Game Face to a 54-53 comeback win. He made a handful of big plays down the stretch, including a left-handed hook shot that gave his team the lead for good with less than two minutes left. He added 20 more points in a loss to the Atlanta Celtics Gold team."

>They know about him. He just doesn't have a qualifying

>score yet.

>

>http://florida.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=539400

>

>"A handful of Big 12 programs are recruiting junior power

>forward Leon Powell (6-6) and he showed why immediately. The

>prep star from national power Vashon High (St. Louis)

>outplayed some of the nation's top players in head-to-head

>battles, including the Tallahassee Wildcats' A.J. Stewart

>(Ranked No. 77 in the class of 2007).

>

>Powell, who plays with an aggressive streak, used his

>strength and athleticism to give Stewart problems on the

>inside and scored 16 points to lead the Saint Louis Game

>Face to a 54-53 comeback win. He made a handful of big plays

>down the stretch, including a left-handed hook shot that

>gave his team the lead for good with less than two minutes

>left. He added 20 more points in a loss to the Atlanta

>Celtics Gold team."

I posted that article in May. What does that have to do with a qualifying score?