Recruits...here we go again

moytoy said,

"Both sides do have their hiccups..."

applause applause.........we agree on something outside of the billikens. :-)

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

>But you will accept corruption at the national level...

>

>Without the off-season board and with the foley scandal i've

>got to let it out somewhere. :)

Come on now. The offseason board was just dandy when there was a lot of chest thumping about the Iraq invasion and those who dared question its merits were labeled as part of "the hate America first" crowd. The level of discourse was so much more civil back then. Ah the good old days.

If it wasn't so easy it would be laughable.

Is one name all you want, Captain?

In just three years as a college head coach, Billy Gillispie has made history.

After achieving one of the most dramatic single-season turnarounds in NCAA annals at Texas-El Paso, Gillispie became Texas A&M’s 19th head basketball coach in March 2004. He inherited a team that had gone 7-21 the year before with an 0-16 mark in Big 12 play. The program had not had a winning season in 11 years.

The Aggies were picked to finish last in the rugged Big 12, but Gillispie was not about to let that happen. The Aggies exploded to a perfect 11-0 start and went on to finish 21-10, the biggest improvement in the country. Gillispie became the only coach in history to lead the most improved team in consecutive seasons.

A&M went 8-8 in Big 12 play, including victories against No. 9-ranked Texas and No. 25 Texas Tech. The Aggies won two games in the National Invitation Tournament, A&M’s first postseason appearance in 11 years and its first postseason wins in 23 seasons.

As a result, Gillispie was the consensus selection as Big 12 Coach of the Year and was a finalist for national coach of the year honors for the season straight year. The United States Basketball Writers Association and the National Association of Basketball Coaches named him district coach of the year and the Texas Association of basketball selected him as its college coach of the year.

A&M shattered all its attendance records and had four sellouts, tying for third most in the Big 12, and enjoyed the third best attendance increase in the country. The Aggies’ 17 home victories were the nation’s second most. Gillispie’s incoming recruiting class is ranked among nation’s top 10 and includes Eddie Smith, the 2005 National Junior College Player of the Year.

Gillispie has a career record for 51-42, but is 45-16 in his last two seasons, including a 33-4 mark in home games. His record in the last two seasons is the third best among all Big 12 coaches.

totally agree moytoy.

now if i can get you to agree that all income and property taxes suck, we could hang out any time.

>I see your charter membership in "hate America First (but

>only after Bush)" is still in force. You know what I want?

>Iwant a bumper sticker that says "He's still better than

>Gore and Kerry" and he is......

I want a bumper sticker that says "The majority of Americans now hate America first" :)

ace, you dont really believe that do you? people may hate the president or congress, or society in general, but not america. there still is no better place to live in the entire world by far.

>ace, you dont really believe that do you? people may hate

>the president or congress, or society in general, but not

>america. there still is no better place to live in the

>entire world by far.

Roy, it's sarcasm. I love this country. I am very patriotic. I value the freedoms that we enjoy, including the freedom of expression and the freedom to express dissent about our government or politicians. That's why I resented it when I was accused of being a part of the "hate America first crowd" for simply stating an opinion about the war that is now shared by the majority of Americans. If I hate America first (which I don't), then so do the majority of Americans. I care a great deal about the future of our country and believe that those who object to the Iraq policy also do. I think the overwhelming majority of Americans care a great deal about this country.

Billie has been at Texas AM going on three years now. Tell me he doesn't have the Texas AM program trending skyward. Look at his record at Texas El Paso if you want more history on getting it done in short timeframes. I would say that he is sustaining success based upon his 45-16 record the last two years and his Top 10 recruiting class this year. Now I guess you could parse the word sustaining but I am sure you and the rest of the Kool-Aid club would rather have BS and his five years of stability. What a farse you guys are. Imagine a head coach getting players and having your recruiting class ranked. Nonsense, can't be done says the STC Club.

The key difference between the Billie and BS is look what Billie did after making the NIT compared to BS success after his NIT appearance.

Your right Captain no sustaining going on here!

But at least we're stable!

Bottoms up!!!!!!

Hate to take you to task here Broy, but in addition to Gillespie, Romar at Washington, Pitino at UL, Thompson at GU, Crean at MU have all had sustained success since taking over programs on the decline. Now I know you'll respond that Pitino is a snake oil salesman, but who wouldn't love to have him at SLU? Oh yeah, toss in Matha at OSU. He turned around a program in complete meltdown...looks like he's doing ok. All of the above, with the exception of Zo, have done this without any NCAA investigations. And Zo's was relatively minor.

Come on 72, you are not really trying to compare SLU program at any point to those at OSU, UL, GU, and MU. Not a fair comparison at all. See that is the problem with some of the negative posters here, they have no basis for the comparisons they try to make. They really are trying to compare apples and oranges.

Glad you brought up ZO, too. Cause it worked out great for him here. One NCAA fluke. And, the program loaded with blue chippers just like he has at UW. Wait, I can't remember any of those blue chippers. I guess the great new facality at UW, the Pac-10 conference, and being the talent rich Seattle area hasn't made a differnce.

We can't compare ourselves to MU and GU, brother Jesuit schools? Does GU have great hoops facilities? Are their academic standards lower? Is there recruiting budget in the millions? That's it, I give up, time for us to drop to Div IIA or NAIA status. I'm beginning to believe there is something to the STC'ers drinking from the Kool Aid trough. Here's another team to look at for a relative quick turnaround, Baylor. Like us small, private, not a BB powerhouse. And the odds against that happening after their murder scandal were astronomical. But their new coach is getting it done...and he'll do it quicker than UB. When will you guys stop accepting mediocrity?