Blake Ahern

slu72

ttp://www.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/story/9702527

Couldn't resist this as it will get the juices flowing again on Ahern's recruitment. Even the Ahern doubters have to admit now we missed out on a guy who would be a difference maker this year and last year. Ranked #20 shooting guard in the country by CBS Sportsline. Who wouldn't like to see him out on the perimiter with KL?

Of course none of our players ranked, although centers don't come out until today....what are odds IV will crack top 20?

Another point on these lists...TL will get a chance to show his stuff against 3 of the top PG's this season. Lawson(UNC) Elliot (GW) and Law (Tx AM). Make some noise in these games TL.

As i have said before I would like to have Ahearn on the team. Is he in the top 20 sg in the country? No. I would take KL above him. Ahearn is a nice player, but he has his flaws. He has been in and out of Hinson's doghouse and starting line-up for the past three years. I don't think he would start for the Bills this year. I do think he could have been a nice contributor.

what are odds IV will crack top 20?

Very,very good. Are there 5 centers in college basketball better? Are there 2?

Blake Ahearn is a good player, but certainly not a difference-maker for SMS. He would have been of greater relative benefit to SLU than to SMS, given our better inside game (we HAVE an insided game).

I was talking to a friend of mine who is a student at Missouri State and he was reading one of the national publications and he said they had Ahearn ranked as a top 5 shooting guard in the country. I believe he said the publication was Liddy's (sp?). He said that Ian made the ranking of the top 20 centers, but I do not recall exactly what number he said Ian was. I was very happy to hear that he said Ian made the list for centers, good to see him getting some love nationally. I usually enjoy reading the preseason publications, but I realize you can't put too much stock in them. I just can't imagine someone honestly ranking Ahearn as one of the top 5 shooting guards in the country. I don't doubt that he could have helped this team with his pure shooting ability, but this is such a tiresome debate. I was in the camp that would not have offered Blake a scholie out of highschool and I seriously do question how effective he would have been for us, especially in C-USA.

I can't really remember the ranking in Lindy's but Ahearn was in the Top 20. That would make two National forums now that put him in the Top 20. So it is really not that much of a stretch to call Ahearn a Top 20 shooting guard. Afterall, Ahearn lead the MVC in scoring which put four teams in the NCAA tournmanent, two of which made it into the Sweet Sixteen, and had 3-4 NBA caliber type players. Based on that alone it is ridiculous to think that he would not have been a major contributer her at SLU. I find it ironic that the same people who don't think he would have helped SLU are the same people who belong to the Kool-Aid drinking STC Billiken fan Club.

Bottoms Up!!!!!!

If he is one of the top sg in the country, why was he in and out of the starting line-up last year? I question how many times the people putting together these rankings have seen him play.

He was the biggest reason they lost the NIT game last year. He never got going. He tried to force himself too much. He never did a damn thing to get his teamates into the game. He was the worst defender on the court.

Louisville had good guard play. Blake never does well against top nocth guards. I think to be in the top 20 guards you should be able to produce against the other top 20 guards.

We will all see how he does on December 18.

any "expert" that ranks ahearn as a national top 20 anything besides free throws only proves he isnt an expert.

I just hope they stick Lisch on him. Kevin will absolutley bury that kid. Ahearn is in a conference that he can have success in. I am not saying that the MVC is weak, but one dimensional players like Blake can have a decent amount of success in the Valley over their career. I think in CUSA where you are consistently going up against higher level athletes he would have had significant problems and I honestly don't think he would have been able to see significant pt in his first couple seasons here. Looking at our team last season and with the move to A-10 he would have been a nice addition. His lack of defense would make me question whether Soderberg would have ever given him significant pt. I am happy that he has had a nice career at MO State and I wish him luck in his senior season.

I am tired of this argument and wish we could get over it until we actually play the Bears in December.

If Blake is a top 5 shooting guard in the country, he better be interviewing agents in preperation for his lengthy NBA career. Honestly, I would think a top twenty shooting guard would be starting for his college team. Come to think of it, Blake is the second best shooting guard at his school. He would be the second or third best shooting guard at Saint Louis.

Hardball, the actuary for all things of Saint Louis U coulda shoulda woulda.

surprisingly looking at the major websites I wasn't able to find how many games he started last year but I did find that he averaged 32.3 minutes per game (9th best in the MVC) and never played less than 27 in any game. That doesn't sound like a player that was having trouble staying in the starting line-up.

The people on this board that continue to bash Ahearn and defend our coach for not recruiting him amaze me, especially in the face of overwhelming evidence that Ahearn would have been extremely successful as a Billiken.

Lastly (and this is not directed at Brian but others that ripped the MVC) the MVC was a better conference than the A-10 last year. So how in the world can we use an argument like "Ahearn is only successful because he played in the MVC."

Notwithstanding my disagreement of your notion of a "kool-aid" club, I don't think it's ironic at all. More like apropos.

I said after the Demetrious Johnson all-star game that Blake Ahearn scored 40-some points in that I thought he should have been pursued by the Bills , but since then I really don't care. He's not a Billiken, so I'm not going to lose any sleep about it. I don't think, though, that having Ahearn on the squad would have gotten the Bills an NCAA Tournament berth the past three seasons.

I'm pretty sure it was Lindy's that had Ahearn as the No. 5 shooting guard in the country. Lindy's also had Ian Vouyoukas in its top 20 centers [link:www.billikens.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.pl?az=show_thread&om=8774&forum=DCForumID3](read this archived thread).

B, the problem with the you and the rest of the Kool-Aid Club is that you have no clue what you are talking about. Ahearn is no good, Stemler will be a bust at Indiana, SLU couldn't use Tatum.....on and on and on. All it takes is a little work to make sure you make accurate statements. I am not interested in peoples opinion who don't really know anything about basketball. Accurancy is not really to much to ask is it? So I went to ESPN .com, in case your interested in the facts, as opposed to spreading the Kool-Aid lies. MSU played 31 games last year and Ahern started in all 31. So could you explain to the rest of the SLU "Haters" how we could both be correct?

Secondly, MSU was 22-9 and Ahearn played 32 minutes a game (most on the team) and averaged 16.2 points a game. And now you want to select a couple of games where he didn't play well and use that as a basis for is projected value as a D1 college basketball player. As for as your statement of seeing him play, the MVC coaches who watched him play last year voted him 1st All Conference. Now two National forums rank him in the Top 20 and STC Billiken Club start choking on their Kool-Aid.

Hardball would you like to point out anywhere on ESPN.com where it says how many games Ahearn started. It doesn't, as for as I can tell.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player/profile?playerId=15571

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/teamstats?teamId=2623

I think the games played stat must have confused you or you just lied. I noticed you didn't provide a link.

He didn't start every game last year. On a game broadcast on FSN last year he was not starting. The annoucers said it was his second game in a row not starting. I was pretty shocked when I heard it.

I have also said I want Ahearn and Tatum on this team. I have never said otherwise. I have never said Stremler would be a bust at IU. I said I think he became a little overated down the stretch of the late signing period. Thats it.

I thought I would point this out to you Hardball for that accuracy you talk about in your post, but don't seem worried about yourself.

Was that apology for Ragin or Me?

B, maybe if you stop gulping down the Blue Juice you could start understanding Major College Basketball. Like I said it really doesn't take a lot of work to be accurate just a little time and in your case maybe a little less Kool-Aid.