Something New To Talk About

Orange Julius

The InsideTulsaSports.com staff recently spoke with the AAU coach of one of these 2008 recruiting targets to gain some insight into his abilities and recruitment.

Scott Suggs is a 6-foot-5 and 175-pound shooting guard from Washington (MO) High School. Suggs played AAU ball this past summer for the St. Louis Eagles, and according to Eagles 16-and-under Coach Dale Turner, Suggs was first spotted by Tulsa coaches after the Peach Jam in South Carolina.

"Coach Wojcik and his staff first saw Scott at the Peach Jam, and they called me after we returned home," stated Turner, a former standout guard for Northern Iowa in the late eighties and early nineties. "They said Scott fits into what they're looking for in that class, that is a kid with good size and skills. I've talked to (Assistant) Coach (David) Cason a couple of times recently and he said they would be following Scott this year."

"Scott's about 6-foot-5 or 6-foot-6 and a very skilled player," added Turner. "But he's more of a basketball player, than a position player. He's a shooting guard, but he can do a whole lot of things. He handles it well. He can flat out shoot it from the outside and is also a scorer. He rebounds -- he can just do it all."

"Scott just played a little bit with the 16-and-under squad because he moved up and played with the 17 year-olds the rest of the summer. So I didn't really get to coach him a lot this past year."

Suggs is garnering a lot of attention after averaging 19 points and five rebounds as a sophomore at Washington High School and after performing well over the summer. He's currently rated as the No. 15 shooting guard and No. 65 overall player by Rivals.com in the 2008 class, and is receiving attention from schools across the country.

"I'm not aware of all the schools that have offered Scott," explained Turner. "But I know Washington's (Head) Coach (Lorenzo) Romar has offered, as has St. Louis University. I know Tulsa likes him and wants to watch him this year."

In an earlier interview with Rivals.com, Suggs stated he held offers from Kansas, Missouri, Washington and St. Louis, with interest from Illinois, Iowa and Southern Illinois.

"As it is with a number of our (Eagles) players, our kids are going to be recruited by some of the big schools, but they also realize that they can maybe go to a mid-major type school and perform there and have the same or maybe better success," Turner concluded. "That's one of the things he's going to think about during his recruitment."

Interesting that the AAU coach says, our kids will think about mid majors where they may have more success...refreshing in that you don't have to go to a Duke or UNC in order to make your mark in college ball. I've often wondered about the 3-4 guys that ride the pine for the biggies. They must have been highly recruited kids and then spend the majority of their time being practice fodder for the five star kids that come rolling in every year. UNC could have that problem this year. Is Frasor going to beat out the all world pg they are bringing in?

nate, as things stand now and assuming normal progression one would think. but ask terry evans or obi ikeakor about injuries. or what if scott doesnt progress anymore than what he is now? tulsa might be sitting good by showing interest now.

Lol,

Frasor will be starting at the begining of this year. Roy Williams loves pass first point guards, and could care less about athleticism at the point. Jacque Vaughn, Hinrich...these guys took care of the ball and had some other skills about them but were never world class athletes.

Don't forget that Frasor can play lock down defense too. He totally hounded Lisch last year and definetly exposed some of Lisch's weaknesses (foot speed, inability to use a drive and pull up shot).

pompeytir said about bobby frasor,

" He totally hounded Lisch last year and definetly exposed some of Lisch's weaknesses (foot speed, inability to use a drive and pull up shot)."

are you sure you dont have the two of them flipped in your memory?

lisch outplayed frasor imo. lisch is the one player that seemed to spark the team that night more than anyone else. kevin ended up with 13 points, 5 for 11 from the field and 3-6 from the field. so he obviously didnt just shoot from outside. frasor on was able to shoot 6 times and made only 2 shots. zero three pointers.

Don't forget if that Tulsa coach moves up to a B12 or B10 school within the next couple of years. He will already have established himself with a high major recruit and suddenly be at a better school to recruit this kid. While I agree it is unlikely Scott won't be going to Tulsa, there are plenty of reasons for why Tulsa is recruiting him.

Of course this news also keeps the Tulsa message boards happy that their coach is hot after a top 100 player and not afraid of going after a kid the "big boys" are on. Things we never hear on this board.

pomp made it sound as though lisch was shut down. far from the truth.

plus, wasnt lisch guarding ginyard when polk was in the game? i do indeed remember frasor guarding lisch in the first half but i thought kevin only guarded frasor near the end of the game.

Is there anyone who is close to the Suggs family that has any kind of gage on his interest in SLU? I realize it is early in the process, but a lot of times it is obvious if a kid wants to stay close to home for college or get far away. I had heard that Kramer and Suggs were pretty good friends, that would have to be a positive for us. Looks like we may need Kramer to reel us in a big time recruit.

How many times does SIU and Tulsa need to see him before offering, can't they judge talent. Both those coaches gotta go. Send an email to their AD's. These coaches need to man up and tell Scott commit today or we are pulling your offer.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

thanks for noticing. What's up with all these weak coaches that can't control the recruiting process. It would suck to be a head coach and not have the confidence in your program or the guts to take charge.

I've been wondering how come Coach K missed on Dwayne Wade. Think Dwayne would've went to Duke if offered.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

I was responding to why the Tulsa coach was recruiting Suggs given that Tulsa is already behind in recruiting and in a non-BCS conference. It would seem like an almost waste of time, kind of Nate's point above. I figured it was probably just to keep the Tulsa message boards happy so their coach won't get beaten up like Brad does about his recruiting. Just a little sarcasm.

Pomp, what game were you watching? I was there, and KL was the spark that got SLU in the game after falling behind 7-0. He immediately lit up Frasor for a couple of hoops. Even the UNC fans were impressed by him, as well as TL. Paris Hilton could have had twelve assists in that game if she was feeding Tyler Hansbrough and the wing/PF they had, forgot his name. From what I've heard from the many UNC fans here, Lawson is considered better than Felton, which means he may go NBA after one year...then Frasor gets his starting role back...unless Roy recruits the next 5 star PG on the horizon. Also, keep in mind that game at Chapel Hill was very close up until about 3 minutes left when TL got the worst call of the game.