Walk-on Tryouts Tonight 9/19

BenChapman

I believe Coach Soderberg has done it every year. A few years ago Kevin Shortal missed the cut (apparently), and the walk-ons were Wendell Bennett, Ian Mooney, and Phillip Hunt. The next year, after Hunt graduated, Peyton Jacks took the spot as the third walk-on. Last year, after Mooney left SLU, Soderberg carried just two walk-ons -- Bennett and Jacks. As they already know the system and the guys, they will be nearly impossible to beat out, but maybe Coach will find a third walk-on.

Hunt was essentially grandfathered in. Hunt made the team as a walk-on under Romar and I believe his policy was once you made it you made it. Soderberg has his walk-ons tryout every year and they thus have to earn their spot each season. It was very classy of Soderberg to honor what Hunt had been promised from Romar (I am not saying Hunt would have been beat out).

From watching Kevin practice with the Bills, I thought he lacked ball-handling skills and, more importantly, the physical strength to bang daily with D1 players. Ian Mooney from Texas and Wendell Bennett were both much stronger/tougher than Kevin at that time, especially the Mooney kid. btw, Mooney will be a walk-on for the second year at the University of Texas.....he is a tough practice player. Bennett will be a third year walk-on at SLU this season.

cheeseman, i think mooney is from texas and shortall indeed was easy ed' grandson. not 100% sure, but that is the way i remembered it.

I also heard that they narrowed the list down to two players. One is 6'4" and the other is about 5'8" to 5'9". I don't know who the 6'4" kid is, but I've played with the 5'8" kid probably 4-5 times. He is a lefty, somewhat skinny, but can jump really well (dunks with ease) and he has a pretty good shot. Should be a good practice player for Polk and Kevin.