Reality Check!

Billsboys

This post is for Roy and all on this board that really think SLU is not a low mid major. I was at the USC football game this weekend with around 70,000 people and then came to check the board to see how the soccer team did. Several posters hooting and hollering for a soccer crowd of about a thousand thinking they were great fans and all. I would suggest Roy and others get out of Belleville and check out a real BIG Time college athletic scene. SLU really is a low mid major with the facilities they have and no football. Yeah the arena will be a step up but some of you on this board need a reality check.

The only people crying over a lack of football at SLU don't seem to have the best interests of the University at heart. Are we a low-mid-minor soccer program as well? Are you still going to make excuse for the soccer Bills the next time they lose?

SLU will never be a big time BCS football powerhouse. Deal with it. Stop pissing on the basketball team.

>The only people crying over a lack of football at SLU don't

>seem to have the best interests of the University at heart.

>Are we a low-mid-minor soccer program as well? Are you

>still going to make excuse for the soccer Bills the next

>time they lose?

>

>SLU will never be a big time BCS football powerhouse. Deal

>with it. Stop pissing on the basketball team.

I am speaking of the whole athletic program at large. LOW MID MAJOR!!!

Billsboy, that is pretty sad. A Saturday night in LA, after a USC victory, and all you have to do is come check out this board. Wow, I thought a former d-1 athelete and coach could find something maybe a little more intresting to do. Now that you are back in town, you can spend Saturday nights with your mommy again.

i couldnt care less about football or soccer. i hate both sports. i'd rather watch a rerun of nova on pbs than a college football game.

and if attendance gets your wick going, you probably just love those nascar races on sunday afternoon as well at the darlington dont you. yeehawww!!!!

i have to echo brian below, why are you even checking the board?

but a step further, why do you work at slu? you obviously hate slu and everything about it so leave. go work at usc.

Most bigtime schools have two or maybe, MAYBE, three athletic teams that anyone that isn't playing care about. Those are football, men's basketball and sometimes women's basketball. Pretty much everything else is a footnote.

You should really take your show on the road to Florida or some place that doesn't make you feel minor-major. I'm sure your schtick would go over better there.

Are you seriously trying to compare a USC football game and SLU soccer? USC football is as big as it gets. National championships...and FOOTBALL! That is the biggest sport in the country. Not many people care about college soccer. But we have a hell of a team and tradition in that sport. We have one of the best facilities in the country and some of the biggest crowds. Who ever said SLU soccer is on the same level as USC football? Nobody has even compared SLU bball to Duke BBall.

That has to be one of the dumbest posts I've ever seen.

now that nashville brings it up, that is really setting the bar high. not many schools live up to the football attendance standard of usc. in fact only 6 other schools average what usc does in attendance.

I think you bring up a couple of points that we should try to look at that could be relevant to SLU. First though, I have no idea what your definition of a low mid major school is. In basketball I would say a SEMO or UMKC might be considered a low mid-major and I would say that SLU is a much better program than those schools. A low mid major with football, I would be guessing here at maybe some MAC teams or CUSA teams.

Looking beyond the whole low mid-major thing, your point about a real big time college athletic scene is valid. I agree that SLU does not offer this at least in comparison to most BCS schools. I also think the big time athletics would not be a good fit for SLU. I know I never even considered my homestate big university--Nebraska who took the defeat at USC--because I didn't want freshmen classes of 500+ students and knowing you had to go five years because you could not get the classes you needed within four years, etc. If SLU was similar to those BCS schoos, I know I would not be an alum. I don't think comparing SLU to a USC or Nebraska is useful.

Where I think a point should be taken from your post is that I don't think SLU should go cheap on their facilities for the sports they do have. I don't think SLU is a low mid major on their current facilities either. I also agree the arena should be a very good step up for not just MBB, but also VB & WBB as well as the athletic dept as a whole. Soccer(M & W), baseball and softball all have newer facilities also. Swimming & diving seem to be doing well at the Rec Center and well the tennis courts get moved around a lot so I guess they are or will be newer also. I also liked the move of adding a track team because that will also strengthen your cross country team--distance runners want to compete in both sports and having both makes your program stronger. I think our athletic dept is moving in the right direction. Moving toward football and wanting games with 70k fans would be the wrong direction.

I think you have to list things by sports .... we had this discussion under an old Doctor B thread. You can't throw a major athletic event up for a BCS football game against two Top Twenty ranked opponents and then annoint an "entire program" to that level just on that one game. Having said that, USC is high major .. no arguments here.

But Villanova and Marquette are high major in basketball as is Georgetown. Are they high major overall? I don' think so because one plays no football at all and the others are not Division 1. Down a few points in the overall standings.

I would offer that you have to define what the major sports are ... football gets double points to some (then I'm thinking Duke or Maryland in football, yikes!), men's basketball, women's basketball, do you count baseball(?), minor additions for minor sports like wrestling, soccer, ice hockey (University of Denver is major-major ... no way), women's softball, women's soccer (maybe a point and a half) .. some sort of mathematical formula for deciding. Throw in bonus points for Coach K Town, Cameron Crazies, and other non-sequiter items and then you tally things up and go from there.

In that way, a Marquette could be high major in a sport but mid-major or worst overall. In that way, I do not believe St. Louis University is an overall mid-major, certainly never a high major ... but not bad in the basketball scheme of things.

But to compare a football game and its atmosphere to anything less than a similar and comparable event, forget it.

I went to the Ravens/Raiders game yesterday and while certainly not a purple-wearing-raven-maniac, I enjoyed hobnobbing under the I-395 viaduct with those lunatics and basking in the glow. An NFL franchise is, pure and simple, a license to print money! I am almost certain theUSC essence was better than that even, but I wouldn't compare that to going to a CUSA or A10 tourney in Cincy.

While this is certainly a little off topic for the thread....I will take the "atmosphere" at Washington (when they were good of course)...and some other Pac 10 schools over USC any day of the week. I will take the polite and courteous, but not raucous venues of Michigan and Notre Dame....notice how I am not even touching the SEC or the like in which college football is up there with God and Country...etc...

Seeing a game at USC....not bad, but certainly far from the best atmosphere minus the band and some of country's finest co-eds and cheerleaders.

Pasadena is a nice town.