who recruited who.....a rainy day post!

tseugnekillib

At times, you will hear comments or discussions on which coaching staff could best evaluate talent or recruit. I believe there are many factors that go into why a certain player lands at what school. At the same time, I don't believe the coaches at Duke or UNC are better talent evaluators than the next 50 or 75 schools, I just believe the Dukes and UNCs are fishing in a richer pool of talent. For example, I don't believe Coach Romar is a better evaluator of talent at Washinton than he was at SLU, it's just at Washington he has access to a better and deeper pool of talent than he did during his three years in St. Louis. A lot of the recruiting for those schools further down line from the Dukes and UNCs comes down a coach's preference and his ability to draw his higher ranking preferences to his school.....just my opinion. Below are the recruits signed by Grawer, Spoon, Romar and Soderberg. Some players may be walk-ons, or started as walk-ons. Accuracy is + or - 10%. Players that came in the year of a coaching change were a bit iffy....see Marque Perry.

GRAWER: Abdur Rahiim Al Martim,Eric Bickel,Anthony Bonner,Donnie Braun,Tony Brown,Luther Burden, Melroy Butler,Robert Carr, Erwin Claggett,Quitman Dillard, Monroe Douglass, John Duff,Chip Entwhistle, Kevin Footes, Jeff Ford,Jeff Gaona, Eduardo Garcia,Ryan Grant,Keving Grawe, Roland Gray, Scott Highmark, Jeff Hoback,Martin Howell, Redditt Hudson,Dwayne Hunt, McClother Irvin,Mike Ivester,Paul Jansen,Lowell Jefferies, Anthony Jones, Marcus Jones, David King,PeeWee Lenard,Jeff Luechtefeld,Tony Manuel,Damond McCann,Ted Mimlitz,Guy Moore,Charlie Newberry,Carvin Norman,Chris Peay, Greg Polite,Dale Renken,Melvin Robinson,Jim Roder,Rashid Shabazz,Carlos Skinner,Brian Smith,Vincent Smith, Todd Starks, Tom Stock,Travis Tadysak, Jamie Thomas,Ramon Trice, Jorge Wallace,John Wells,Daryl Wesley,Kevin Williams, Rick Williams, Julian WinfieldKevin Zapoir.

SPOON: Matt Baniak, Sekeue Barentine, Jeramy Biles,Donnie Campbell, Tyrone Caswell,Virgil Cobbin, Charles Cranford,Donnie Dobbs,Derek Dust,Derek Falb, Dave Fergerson,Corey Frazier, Corey Grays,Andy Haemker,Chris Heinrich,Larry Hughes,Jamal Johnson,Eric Jones,Justin Love, Ryan Luechtefeld,Rasheed Malik Malik,Carlos McCauley,Evan Pedersen,Marque Perry,John Redden, Troy Robertson, David Robinson,Carlos Sharlow,Larry Simmons,Justin Tatum,Carl Turner,

H Waldman,Jamall Walker,Luke Woltering Dan Wuebban.

ROMAR: Marque Perry(supposedly had to re-recruit after Spoon left, who knows)Josh Fisher, Maurice Jeffers,Andrew Latimer, Floyd McClain, Chris Sloan,Jason Edwin, Daeryn Carter,Ross Varner,Randy Pulley,Kenny Brown,John Seyfert.

SODERBERG: Anthony Drejaj,Justin Johnson,Izik Ohanon,Reggie Bryant,Bryce Husak,Ian Vouyoukas,Tom Frericks,Darren Clarke,Danny Brown,Luke Meyer,Dewayne Polk,Vas'shun Newborne,Obi Ikeakor,Tommie Liddell,Kevin Lisch,Dustin Maguire,Adam Knollmeyer,Horace Dixon.

tseug, who was the fat kid that spoon recruited from nyc sight unseen. i will never forget that midnight madness and seeing that kid try to run up and down the court. he was redshirted and then gone after the first season. that was a star pick.

cheeseman, i think you are mixing cranford with harden. i cannot find the roster of the 98-99 billikens, but i doubt he was any bigger than he was 3 years later at northeastern where he finished his collegiate career.

http://www.gonu.com/mbasketball/cranford.shtml

i thought it was interesting that ricky ended up being an ok player with northeastern. i will never forget what a disappointment he was when he took the floor the first time for the billikens. spoon had led us to believe he was going to be the perfect running mate with hughes. luckily love was here as well.

cranford was indeed another obvious recruit that spoon never bothered to go see and signed. people b!itch about coach soderberg recognizing talent and recruiting, but some of the winners that spoon brought in were just bad beyond bad. both romar and soderberg are better recruiters than spoon ever was at slu.