kfns renews with the bills

bills16

I am disapointed. I would have thought that something was learned from the fan complaints about the poor reception of KFNS especially in West County and St Charles County. The weak signal causes people to turn off the radio or to tune into some other station. I also have problems with the away games being broadcast on Charter. That leaves out the Dishnet and Direct TV customers. However, my complaint about the TV is not as strong as the poor radio reception. Having the TV on Charter gives me an excuse to watch the games at a bar.

what's our choices? kmox has more or less resigned from sports. 1380 would be even worse reception. 550 risks the chance that the worst sports staff on the dial regularly has a say about the billikens plus we would get pre-empted in the spring (ncaa tourney) for spring training games.

there really isnt much to choose from radiowise.

i suspect very few road games wont be visible on tv anyway and you should be at every home game.

exactly cheeseman. i cant imagine kmox or 550 covering the likes of our ground breaking live for 3 hours like kfns did. hell kmox dropped our opening game a few years back in favor of the normal afternoon drive time show.

a good way to solve the reception would be for kfns to get other stations to also carry the games.

the station that i work for carries iowa state football and men's

basketball. we don't originate the games but we are an affiliate station. hopefully a winning season this year and a trip to the ncaa tournament will want other stations to get on board.

Good jabs at the signal strength of 590.

It all comes down to choices. Do you: stay with a signal that had the option to bounce up to 5 games of their choice to another station or do you go to a station that will air all of your games? Sure, KMOX has the "reach" and legacy, but I was frustrated when I saw them bouncing late season weekend games for preseason baseball games, or hockey games before the Blues moved to 550. To know you have a "home" that will dedicate and effort to your program is a good thing.

I assume you are also commenting on the deal with Charter as well. Again, a matter of choices in this situation. With the Charter deal (which I was dissappointed with as well, initially) we have certainly gotten a good deal. More games, home and away on tv. Sure, we have people on here complaining that they can't get the game at one time or another or are out of state, etc. But honestly, what percentage of the Billiken basketball tv viewers does that represent? I'd say we're hitting a much larger percentage of our audience with the Charter deal. PLUS they have the coaches shows and air other sports as well.

Neither KFNS nor Charter are the BEST situation, but they are pretty good deals for where the program is at right now.

I guess I start my gripe again about how the Bills NEED to be on Fox-Midwest.Remember the good ole days,back when this guy named Romar was here?Seems like just about all road games were aired.I'll hope the A-10 network will pick up some games(Fox-Cincinnati and Fox-Ohio show alot of UD and X games),but exposure is what we need.We have a NCAA bid floating out there,but if the committee hasn`t seen the team play,all SLU will be is a record.

I`ll steal a line from Saliva ....You`re talking local scene,I`m talking nation.

none of us know the details of the A-10 deal with espn, but it wouldnt surprise me if there was restrictive language that keeps the billikens from initiating fox coverage. i believe that was the case in the cusa days.

I am almost certain that FSN is not prohibited from broadcasting games. Most of Xavier's road games are broadcast on FSN Ohio. There may be some clauses in the league contract that preempt FSN if ESPN selects a game, but there is not a blanket prohibition.

I would make a very educated guess that this decision is being driven almost exclusively by cost. I would guess that the production cost charged by Charter are a fraction of the production costs charged by FSN or ESPN Productions. Unfortunately, the finished product shows it. That being said, while it is a shame that our games aren't produced through an organization with access to satellite or other national outlets, at least those of us in St. Louis have access to nearly every road game on Charter.

sure phan. i will be at smokey bones in fairview today at noon. come on by and let's talk. i think that would be very interesting.

Techinically, KMOX is still in the sports broadcasting business but the question is for how long. The contract they have with the Tigers is a hold over from a longer term agreement if memory serves me right. Who knows if they will renew it. They have a sports dept of Ron Jacober - he is just terrible - and a part-time person or two. A shadow of its former self.

FSN doesn't want us, certainly not exclusively. FSMW serves much more than St. Louis so purchasing the rights to a team that draws little interest outside of STL doesn't make a lot of sense. Mizzou, on the other hand is a team that draws interest throughout Missouri and nationwide. Considering we play many games on the same night it only makes sense that they are going to choose Mizzou over us, all things being equal. Not to mention the hockey games they broadcast on the same nights. The same can be said for KMOX, except they get the additonal benefit of Mizzou football.

I know Charter is difficult for some to get (and quite frankly the cable bills are outrageous) but they have done a pretty good job of advertising for us as they often will put a Billiken promotion in if they have some dead commercial space.

Charter and KFNS aren't perfect but at a minimum they are glad to have us and in my mind that is better than being a seocnd or third fiddle at FSMW or KMOX.