>and he highlighted a good point. Think critically about the

>recruiting situation. BS cannot offer every tom dick and

>harry from the st. louis metro area, but you get all fired

>up when he won't offer some kid you mention. Take the data

>you have collected about the local high school basketball

>scheme and turn it into some substantive input, just don't

>lob 500 names into the air and then ***** because BS didn't

>offer all of them.

The problem is that my calculations arent off. These are guys I've said Brad should offer for 2007.

Leon Powell

Josh Harrellson

Andrew Kueker

George Goode

Marvin McNutt

Rolandis Woodland

Rahmon Fletcher

Manual Cass

I've suggested he take a LOOK at MANY others. And I may have said offer a couple that I left out. There is no harm in offering those guys. You might actually get a couple, but you have to offer to do so. We cant sit back and wait on 2 or 3 guys. In the business world, you dont just give out 2 applications for two positions. You have several applicants to fill each position. Sometimes it's a first come first serve basis. Other times you can pick and choose.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say Sodie's team coming is was pretty well ready to go. The nucleus was there with Perry, Brown, Sloan, and Fisher and role players like Diener, Braun, and Varner were in place. Granted he had to fill some holes, but he pretty well just took what was available, not like he really wow'd anyone into coming. I would not say Brad had to do a whole lot to get this team to the NIT, I could have coached that team to the NIT. If you recall that team struggled early and lost many winnable games due to the adjustment to the new system, if Brad would have let those guys play a little more they may have been NCAA and that team was only a few wins away as it was.

And you know how many BS offered, right?

"And i may have said offer a couple that i left out."

Convenient hedge. I would take a guess and say that you have said he should offer more.

And where do you build into UB's time (as limited by the NCAA) to "look" at these "many" other players? Oh, that's right, you want him to break the rules.

I had 3.4 GPA and 21 on the ACT. I got accepted to several schools and full academic scholarships to Langston, Rust College, partial schollie to Missouri and Saint Louis, full to Harris-Stowe just to name a few. My mom died and I had to work. I keep telling you guys that people cant just go running out of town because they have scholarships. Most people at Harris-Stowe have family obligations whether they children or have to help pay bills or some other circumstance. I had to stay home and I chose the college that both my parents attended which happened to be the only historically black college in Saint Louis. Why cant you understand that there is more to going away to college than having the qualifications. Your home life has to be right. Your financial situation has to be right. I also wanted to follow my brother's high school career, at the time they were just coming off of an undefeated state championship season.

He really doesnt have to break the rules. If he just hit the Christmas tourney circuit he could see a lot of kids. Kramer plays Harrellson twice a year and he's already seen Leon several times. McNutt and Woodland are now concentrating on football, so it wont be hard for him to see all of the guys on my list. It will be fairly easy actually.

>I would say Sodie's team coming is was pretty well ready to

>go. The nucleus was there with Perry, Brown, Sloan, and

>Fisher and role players like Diener, Braun, and Varner were

>in place. Granted he had to fill some holes, but he pretty

>well just took what was available, not like he really wow'd

>anyone into coming. I would not say Brad had to do a whole

>lot to get this team to the NIT, I could have coached that

>team to the NIT. If you recall that team struggled early

>and lost many winnable games due to the adjustment to the

>new system, if Brad would have let those guys play a little

>more they may have been NCAA and that team was only a few

>wins away as it was.

How did Romar do the year before with those guys?

Don't bait and switch. You stated above that you have mentioned many players he should look at and those are the ones that i question whether he would have a hard time fitting into his NCAA regulated schedule. You then proceed to state above that he could fit in time to look at the ones on your "offer" list. You don't address the call of my question which is UB's ability to look at the multitude of people you have suggested he look at and to do so within NCAA regulations.

I just told you that he could accomplish a lot through Christmas tourney's. Multiple games that count as only one visit. Not just Christmas tourneys, but the other tourneys as well. Which part didnt you understand? You act like I recommended a million guys. Be serious. I've seen all the guys I recommended. There's nobody on my list that I haven't seen. If I can do it, why cant he?

there is a difference between applying and offering. If you are hiring on a first come first serve basis ... you are in trouble. If you have 2 openings you don't offer the job to 8 people.

Hmmm ... I wonder why very few on here would want to offer you an internship

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

Vee...fyi.... Soderberg has seen all eight of the players you have listed above, most of them multiple times. I am confident that the other SLU coaches have seen them as well.

Vee, you can talk g.p.a. and degrees all-night long; however, if you don't exhibit good common sense.... you don't have a chance. At times, you are lacking good common sense!

I think your memory of Brown, Sloan and Fisher is skewed. They were good players ... but there is no way that team would be considered NCAA tourney caliber. The NIT was a hell of a job. You need to look back.

Would you have hired Billsboy as your asst, and would he have stooped to the asst position if you did offer it?

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

ok, V, here's my feeling on the whole situation that's being played out here...

I don't have a problem with you personally, V, but please, treat all of us and this board with the respect that you want to be treated with. I will certainly be glad to bend over backwards to treat you like you treat this board and the posters on it. That's a promise.

HOWEVER, pissing contests over who spotted a high school stud first, how many times someone has seen somebody play and GPAs, ACTs and internships doesn NOT constitute respect.

Additionally, I'm not singling you out here, V. Watch the way I interact with other posters on the board. It is exactly what I promised above.

I think that was a tournament quality team and if you looked at the record we were only a couple games away and that includes losing several games early that could have and should have been wins. We came together during conference play and were the hottest team in league play to close out the regular season. Marque Perry was a special player and guys like Brown, Sloan, and Fisher were so underrated, just look at what happened when they were gone. Kenny Brown was possibly the best defensive center in C-USA that season and really could go up against anyone defensively. Fisher was another lock-down defender who could score in spurts and was not overmatched by anybody. Chris Sloan was another good defender who did anything needed to win. Braun, Diener, Drejaj, and Izik were all solid contributors as well. That was a very quality team and I do not think saying they were NCAA Tournament capable is a stretch in the least bit. They had a team of guys with heart and who played their tails off to go along with some pretty good players. They also had a guy who refused to lose and the team could rely on to make the big shot when the team needed it.

I am not going to give that to you. They got worked over by Monmouth N.J and Alaska-Anchorage and were down with 10 minutes left to Eastern Washington. They were really struggling and anyone who went to that game would not have considered them a quality team at that point in time. In the SLU-SIU game the Salukis shot 28.3 percent from the field and many of those were open looks and short shots by Faulker and Shaw. SIU you would go onto find its identity, but at the time SLU beat them they were a down team.

>wrong on Diener - he signed with Marquette first, then

>Pulley signed with SLU the next day. Getting Pulley was a

>pretty big deal, he was ranked as a PG almost as highly as

>Diener was.

>

>As for excuses, well, they seem to only apply to SLU and

>apparently, only Soderberg. Only SLU has injuries, only SLU

>has guys not qualify (3 for BS), only SLU has trouble

>getting JUCO's in, only SLU has poor facilities to recruit

>to, etc... 4 years, 60 wins, not exactly lighting the world

>on fire, and in that 9-21 year, the Paradise Jam fiasco

>occured with a full line-up.. Though the step down in

>conference seems to be helping and the tide seems to be

>turning.

It's funny that Brian Gregory's #1 excuse maker is whining about SLU fans making excuses. Besides, I think this board is pretty split on Soderberg, but go ahead and keep grasping at straws.