Please continue your Floyd Irons debate here

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If all that is alleged is true, I think the nasty side of this is actually being ignored on this board. Where are you the controls in the school district to stop problems early on, and who does it affect when problems aren't averted?

Somebody had to sign the checks, somebody had to account for them, somebody had to balance the bank accounts. There were plenty of outs for everyone involved, but they weren't taken and now we're here. If the finances of a public company worked this way, everybody from the lowest rung on the ladder on up would be canned for their roles.

Hopefully, somehow, the focus remains on the kids in the school; Vashon, CBC, whichever other school you want to pick on, is there to educate. I understand that education can reach beyond the classroom, but come on, we're arguing over whether the guy is nice and goes to church on Sunday. Who cares? It seems that the educations of some kids were jeopardized, and that is f---ed up. There are many things more important in life than winning basketball games.

Maybe I wrote something wrong somewhere ... or you misunderstood. I'm not in the camp that says why not let him coach. He was stealing money ... just because they are not pushing it doesn't mean it wasn't happenning. There is just too many smoking guns.

Now in todays Post. 3 houses ... 1 worth 850K and 1 worth 450K plus his house in Normandy. It didn't say the value of that. He drives an Escalade. His mortgage's on 1.3 mil worth of houses would be what 10K a month unless he put down a large sum ... where does a guy making 90K get that kind of money ... which Lender would give him the loans. he says his wife works 2 jobs ... she had damn well better and they had better be dam good jobs?

I'm in the camp that says the IRS should be involved ... and imo there is very, very, very, very little chance he isn't guilty ... and he should be in jail.

As far as being able to coach ... the guy shouldn't be in any kind of a leadership position ... He isn't even smart enough to just shut up and let it all go away.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman and loyal subject of Billsboy and all ex D1 players and coaches everywhere. You da man Billsboy

>

> Now in todays Post. 3 houses ... 1 worth 850K and 1 worth

>450K plus his house in Normandy. It didn't say the value of

>that. He drives an Escalade. His mortgage's on 1.3 mil worth

>of houses would be what 10K a month unless he put down a

>large sum

He says its a business venture with his son and two other people. That should be easy enough for one of the Post Dispatch journalists to check out.

And while I think Escalades are a waste of money, it's not beyond the means of a household generating over $160,000 in yearly income (his wife makes nice money too), after working for 35 years, to afford one.

That Normandy home has probably been paid off for nearly two decades now.

Just more smoke ... it seems to me the IRS should be checking out. There are just too many highly questionable things for Floyd to be clean.

Not getting busted and being clean aren't the same.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman and loyal subject of Billsboy and all ex D1 players and coaches everywhere. You da man Billsboy

3 star, unless irons has a history of managing rental property, he would have had to have had some very solid leases in place to be able to get financing on such high priced rental homes. if not, assuming he and his wife indeed make about $160k per year, and he had a 20% downpayment (which would have been about a quarter of a million dollars. nice savings acct not retirement, but saving acct trust me, that alone would not be the norm for a double incomed middle classed family) the principle, interest, taxes and insurance would have been likely at least $7k per month. add to that probably about $1000 a month for the cadillac pmt, and not counting any other payments against him, that is likely a debt to income ratio (+60%) on rental property that at the very least would not have gotten a decent rate and more likely not gotten approved. most debt to income ratios on one's primary residence is less than 40%. and the known risk factor of rental property doesnt normally let a bank approve 60% ratios.

now if you tell me that he has a long history of managing rental properties, then there could be all kinds of other scenarios that could make sense.

or if you tell me there is substantially more income, that might make more sense.

the point is, he likely poored a lot of cash (more than the quarter of a million that i assumed above) into those three deals to make them work for the bank. and again, one has to ask where all that money would come from.

3 star, not just anyone can walk into a bank without investment property experience and declare they want to get into the real estate investment market and buy over a million dollars in high priced rental homes. it just doesnt happen. i have seen far more incomed people struggle to get much smaller first investment property approvals than what you are theorizing the irons' make. this is even more intriguing in the irons debacle if you ask me than anything brought forward thus far. now we are talking major dollars that irons should have to prove to the irs.

Three star, the unnamed partners will be identified on the corporation papers. The home out in west county is in his name only, lock, stock and barrel.

The problem Floyd is facing is one of a proven paperwork trail. If it was his money, he will be needing bank account info to prove how he sourced the funds. If it was his partners' money, again he will need signed contracts and a payment schedule to prove the trail. The IRS will eat him up either way if the trail cannot be vetted. Tax evasion and/or money laundering is a bad road to be travelling.

Banks also will not make loans to clients who try to use creative income management. They go off proven assets, accounts, and documented income only, with strict debt/earning %s.

The Escalade is no big deal, lease or purchase. The smaller house is pushing his financial wherewithal. The house in Grover is kicking the IRS into top gear, without formal incorporation paperwork, etc.

Williams got there during the audit and isnt accused of any wrongdoing and wasnt there long enough to affect any change. They fired Irons, not because of allegations, but because they wanted to. The same goes for Williams as they replaced him less than 2 days after letting him go. They had a replacement ready. If they were fire Irons because of allegations, they could've done that long ago.

the same reason they fired williams. Because they dont like them. Williams got 15 months on the job. How much change can you make in 15 months. The board usurped Williams authority and fired Irons and then let him go a couple days later. This board is ruthless. Then they brought in this new Superintendent from the Fox School District. How is she supposed to turn around an inner city school district? I'm sure she'll get more than 15 months.

vtime, it is my guess, that it took the attys the time between the end of the worthless audit and last week to be sure they had the right plan in place to be reasonably certain that irons cant successfully fight the elimination of his job. this stuff doesnt happen over night. same with willimas.

apparently he didnt carry out the boards directives whatever that might be.

you wont find me supporting the board in the big picture. any school district that has the horrible graduation rates that this one does gives enough fault to a lot of higher ups including the board.

imo, the best thing that can happen is the state comes in and takes over the entire shooting match. obviously the whole system is broken.

I think the state should take over. Can you give me an instance in St. Louis where the state took over and made the school a better place? If the school makes too many changes and the kids stop coming, what can they do to get them to come? Do they just deal with the kids who show up? I know at Normandy we always failed the standardized test because they were issued to each student enrolled in school and if they didnt show up for testing, they failed the whole thing. That kept us low, while we had a ton of honor students that went on to major universities, about12% Ivy League, those failed scores could not be overcome.

attendance is part of the job of the school district. if i had the answer i would be a school administrator.

your defeatist attitude is very disappointing. and neither you nor i know if the state taking over can fix the problem, but it is pretty obvious the current system and those in charge have drastically failed and the only way the corruption and ineptness has a chance of being fixed is likely a complete change. so let the state come in and boot out all the higher ups and replace the whole system. it cant be worse than it already is can it?

>The state took over Wellston and it has not changed much in

>Wellston. The schools are a wreck, and they can not get

>anybody to teach there from the outside, white or black

>people. Its that bad. The kids show just for the free

>breakfast and lunch and recess.

I know that truth first hand from knowing Wellston's coaches. As for Roy, you and most of this board don't get it. Its not the teaches or coaches that are the problem. Kids that want to do their school work and get good grades are the one's who do. It's not the school, it's the parents and the environment. Kids who's parents arent on them almost certainly will not succeed. I see James Washington's dad, James Washington Sr. with James all the time. Its not a surprise that Baby James is a 4.0 student. The kids who grow up in a single-parent home where mom is gone all day trying to make money to just barely get by or live in a home where mom doesnt work at all are more than likely not thrive in school. As bad as everyone says it is, James Washington, Bobby Hill, and Jerry Brown all did well on the ACT. Why? Because they wanted to go to college and have a better life. The kids who have the drive to do well in school do, its the same at every school. Parents who care make sure their kids get through school. Kids who care about themselves will ask for help. Clean-up the neighborhood, and then the school can be cleaned. The kids should at least be able to get back and forth to school safely so they can focus on school. Get some real policeman in the neighborhood who will protect the kids instead of harassing them, because they think all of them are delinquents.

maybe I'm not understanding ... are you saying 12% of the grads at Normandy went to an Ivy league school?

How about some numbers that back that up.

My graduating class was 179 kids. 12% of that is like 20 or 21. So yeah, I'm pretty sure about that. There's no roster for regular students, so I dont know how I can prove that to you. A couple guys girls went to WashU, so we did pretty good. Plus we had a guy go first round in NFL Draft 34 months after leaving Normandy's campus. 2003 was a great year to be a Normandy grad. We had some athletes go division 1 out of my graduating class like Adonis "REDD" Redmond who went to Kansas, Alex "Deuce" Thomas went to Indiana State, and Renita Murphy went to UAPB, where she was an all-conference goalie as a freshman.

That 12% is nothing compared to my other alma mater Whitfield where about 95% of the kids go on to a major university, about 2% go JUCO, 2% go to the military, and 1% do nothing. I had some friends from Whitfield go D1 too like Jason Ford (Davidson), Keith and Kortland Ware went division 1. The Oppland twins went division 1 to Valpo. The youngest of the Ware brothers plays basketball for Lutheran North.

20 kids from 179 at Normandy went to an Ivy league School ... that is what you are saying.

NO CHANCE.

Do you realize 95% is 95 out of 100?

The chance that either of those statements are true is exactly equal to the chance Floyd Irons is innocent. ZERO

Vtime ... I know you are proud of your school and that is good, but I thought you were near the top in your class ... How did you end up at HS.

Seriously ... 20 kids from a class of 179 an Normandy went to an Ivy league school. You've got to be kidding. There probably isn't much more than 20 ... if that from all of Stl that go to an Ivy league school in any given year.

And if you can't tell about Whitfield having 95% of it's class go to a major university ... why did you make the statement. Why do you continue to make statements that are clearly ridiculously false. Then you wonder why you have no credibility.