Floyd Irons: He gone.

JMM28

my dislike of irons has nothing to do with race and everything to do with irons taking advantage of the situation and doing the kids in the district wrong academically and ethically.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If I have no facts, then you have no common sense. The PHL has the largest disparity of any conference in the state because of Floyd Irons and the way he shaped district boundaries in his favor. Is it just a coincidence that every good player to stay in the city winds up at Vashon? None of the other shools: Beaumont, Roosevelt, Soldan, Cleveland, and so on, can compete with V because of Floyd. Gateway Tech is the only one to put a good team on the floor in the past several years. The PHL used to be the best conference by far back in the day, but a lot of players left for other schools when deseg busing started, and the league was further hurt by Irons grabbing all the talent.

A good example of this is a few years back when I was in high school. I had a conversation with a particular player who went to St. Mary's at the time and looked to be a promising high school talent. He told me that he was going to transfer over to Vashon, and I asked him how it was possible because of where he lived. He said that his grandma lived pretty close to where he needed to be and that Floyd told him he'd work it out and not to worry about it. The kid left St. Mary's and decided not to play at V or anywhere else. I just think it's disappointing that this was common behavior for Floyd to fix the boundaries in his favor.

You also ask which situation is more harmful, teaching or coaching? In this case: coaching, because as an administrator and coach, he had access to funding. As a teacher, he won't. He still has access to young minds, though, and I hope he's done doing damage at V and in the PHL.

Think with your head, not your heart. There is no conspiracy against him. He's been dirty for years, and it finally reached a point where it can no longer be overlooked.

Just wait for some of the juicey stuff that will come out in the next few days. Now that he has no power over anyone in the district skelaton are going to come flying out of the closet. Some of the stories are unbelievable. This is just the start of this man's downfall.

> An outside auditor from nowhere near Missouri came in and cleared Irons of any wrongdoing.

Um, no. The audit found "no evidence of criminal behavior."

'December 9, 2005 - An article and headline in Wednesday's Metro section incorrectly described St. Louis Circuit Attorney Jennifer Joyce as clearing Vashon High School basketball coach Floyd Irons of wrongdoing in the handling of money at the school. Joyce says she told St. Louis Public Schools that an auditors' report of Vashon's finances handed over by the school district to her office provided no basis for criminal charges against Irons or other Vashon leaders.

Body Text: St. Louis School Board says investigation found "no evidence of criminal behavior" in handling of money at the high school.

But board President Darnetta Clinkscale says Vashon had "horrific bookkeeping practices." '

When did he cheat? Is misallocating thousands and thousands of dollars to one basketball program cheating? Is reshaping the boundaries of the city (and county) in your favor cheating? I would say yes, but I'm not sure you want Floyd to face any code of ethics here.

He bullied everyone in the PHL: every neighborhood where he plucked kids who otherwise could have gone to other schools, every team he buried mercilessly with his starters in the fourth quarter (Central VPA? Come on.), every student and player in his school and others that was cheated out of money toward their education. The PHL used to be a powerhouse. As I said above, the desegregation program did cause a lot of talent to spread out to other places, but Floyd has caused an unnatural imbalance within the league.

As always, the only person making it a race issue is VTIME. If you read the article in the paper, it tells how Floyd tried to bully other teams to play where he wanted and even tried to get Al Thomas fired. I personally know Al Thomas and to not like him is really hard. He is a great guy and just shows that Floyd is a jerk. He uses these kids for the 4 years then tries to tell them where to go to school often playing the race card himself. He pulls teams off courts when he's not getting what he wants. He is a prime example of what you don't want in high schools and in high school sports. It wouldn't matter if half his team couldn't read, as long as they had a sweet J it would be find with Floyd.

There was white and blacks on the school board Vtime, get your fact straight. Being a black man myself, it had nothing to do with race. Flojo never has been a teacher, he only was at Vashon for one thing basketball. He did misuse money and expected a cut for everything. He would not do clinics for kids unless he got some of the proceeds. This was a free camp for kids and he expected to be paid to attend. All he cares about is himself, Vtime. If he cared so much about his players, why are they in jail, selling drugs, hanging out on the street corner.

I went to Vashon, I have achieved great things, nothing fantastic but Vtime I had just as hard as any of these players, I grew up in a apartment with 4 kids and a mom. SHe tried her best, I was surrounded by drugs and gangs but I made it out and the people that have helped me have been teachers at Vashon, and principal. All FLojo cared about was his palyers while they were there, once they left he did not care.

Vtime, quit defending him. He is a great coach, but he did not do his job, so that is why he is being relieved of his duties, not raising money or running for the PE department right.

Kids would go to Vashon to play b-ball and win state championship but they fail realize that they will not amount to anything b/c they do not see the end product As I stated before, there have been a few players of FLOJO that have amounted to something, but there are so many others that have not amount jack squat, and nobody talks about them.

Vtime- what is Bobo, watkins, cooper, shelton, stovall, nash twins, clay. What are they doing now? Tell me this. I know the answer but lets see what you say. Floyd doesn't care about these guys anymore than I do.

.... To the Congressman, Vee, but you've got to educate yourself on this one. Take this from someone who's on Capitol Hill, in the Dirksen, Longfellow, Rayburn and other buildings ... and if this is a local Congressman while it is different its probably more close to the same ... our representatives don't do anything for folks that don't amount to votes for themselves. Now this Lacy Clay .. I am willing to bet he or she is the rep from that part of Missouri ... maybe or maybe not ... but the support they are throwing behind Floyd is three things at best ... #1) the attempt to show their constituents and voters they care about their district, #2) a snapshot in time (for crissakes it was a story done well over a year ago and Congressmen and women are lucky to have a one-hour memory time span), and #3) most likely written or drummed up by some staffer in the Congressperson's office. I don't know which of our posters said 'absolute power corrupts absolutely" but that is true here.

By the way, if you are a journalism student, here's some advice .... KISS ... Keep it Simple Stupid .... if you mean "two" players went to the NBA, please say "two" and not "multiple." That's disingenuous at best.

Floyd appears to be great at something ... as in NOT leaving a paper trail. Seems to me that OJ Simpson was not convicted either ... yet I believe a majority of folks will tell you they believe he did it. I wonder if he's ever going to find Nicole's killer on the golf course greens or in some autograph selling session. Its not racial .... Bill Clinton did not have sex with that woman ..... Pete Rose did not bet on baseball .... Mark McGwire did not take steroids .... tainted B-12 from Miguel Tejada says Raffy Palmeiro .... and Barry Bonds is the result of avid weighttraining.

You know when the backs are uncomfortably up against the proverbial wall ... a certain card gets played as trump.

When I went to high school, we had one warm up we wore both on the road and at home ... a jacket. We bought our own socks, our own sneakers (okay, first pair was provided but to varisty only) and our own jocks. The uniforms lasted like three or four years. My freshman baseball uniform felt across the front was so old and faded that I took a green felt marker and colored in the letters after my mom washed it froma previous use. This sounds like the case of a high school program completely out of control. I think it just shows how far out of whack priorities are in today's society. Same thing goes about the Suggs' story that got superceded because of this FlowJo stuff.

I see you changed your moniker on your profile ... instead of "Leon Powell" you're now "Child of God." I am almost certain you don't see or understand the hypocrisy in all that either.

Its tough to have your idols fall before you. It just seems that more and more fallen idols occur when those pedestals rest somewhere in the sports world. With the money associated with all this ... the sneaker contracts, the ridiculous contract amounts, the TV deals, the endorsements .... sooner or later, its got to collapse in on itself. I think this is just one example of it at the high school level. So are the fake diploma schools in Philly and New York. Its just another get-rich-quick scheme if you ask me. Floyd may not be selling junk onstreet corners ... but he still selling junk. Just a matter of how its packaged.

Vtime,

I think your postings and your 'He-can't-do-wrong' attitude reflects your age and immaturity. Eventually you are going to grow up and realize that people you are acquaintances with or even friends with are capable of duplicity. What they say to your face and how they treat you is many times not a reflection of who they really are or how they treat others.

Irons was a great coach but winning does not mean that these other virtues you are extolling are automatically going be included in being a great coach. In Iron's case he did great things on the court but he has questionable results and methods outside the court. Most of the posters are not judging Irons on his basketball coaching but on his achievement outside the court, another sort of statistic where he might be said to have had losing record.

>Bonner and Mel Robinson both played in the NBA. Both made

>you guys proud too.

Thats it? "Multiple players" turns into... Bonner and Mel Robinson? Did Melvin Robinson ever participate in an NBA game? I know he had a few training camp looks, but I am not sure if he ever got a uniform with his name on it.

>The auditor

>ruled that he was not guilty.

No, the initial audit couldnt decipher his "bookkeeping". The independent firm found...

---------------------------------------

Other findings include:

Floyd Irons failed to make full and accurate disclosures and passed off blame to subordinates. In one instance, Irons told Linda McKnight that an expense report for a basketball players' reception, dated December 2003, was authorized by Dorothy Ludgood — deceased nine months by that time.

Vashon principals Ludgood and Irons,[h4] without school-board authorization[/h4], purchased a $50,000 scoreboard, $106,002 worth of athletic uniforms, a $6,995 piano and a $5,994 gymnasium floor.

Demetrious Johnson, a former professional football player and confidant of Irons, organized a Super Bowl party and fundraiser for the basketball team at the Adam's Mark Hotel. Johnson did not get district approval, nor did he turn over the event's proceeds to the school. Irons never asked permission to host the fundraiser, as required by district policy.

Nike has a contract with Floyd Irons to provide uniforms and equipment to the boys' basketball team, but Vashon made its own "significant similar purchases" of apparel and equipment in 2003 and 2004, according to the audit. ("The last time we had new uniforms through the school was 2000 or 2001," Irons says. "We've gotten new uniforms since then, but not through the school." Irons adds that he purchased the uniforms: "I came up with the money.")

Auditors reported dozens of "questionable expenses," including CD players, radios and TVs used as Christmas presents.

Jeannette Franks, Vashon's bookkeeper, issued $8,000 in travel advances without ever collecting receipts after the trips. Some of the money funded basketball travel. Irons told auditors he lost receipts in the process of moving his office.

Inspectors found no paperwork proving that cash proceeds from ticket sales for non-league basketball games and other events were ever deposited.

------http://www.riverfronttimes.com/Issues/2005-11-16/news/news.html

But I guess that's not guilty. Hey, whatever. Guy is a crook. Hope he enjoyed that loss that Peoria Notre Dame hung on him.

Floyd has even played the race card (a term I don't particularly care for but use for argument's sake) against other predominantly African-American teams, coaches, and even African-American officials. That makes no sense whatsoever, but he insists that officials and opposing teams are out to get Vashon before they enter the building based on race. He tries to bully officials, fans, and others into taking his side by abusing a sensitive issue such as race. Not only are his arguments completely illogical, but it demonstrates that Floyd has never in his career coached with class.

"Not to take anything away from leon who worked his oss off"

You did take away from Leon by stating that Floyd was the "sole" reason Leon did something or other. If Leon participated in his own success ... and I will presume that he did ... Floyd could not be the "sole" reason ... as normal you take ridiculous stances and overstate almost everything you post.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman and loyal subject of Billsboy and all ex D1 players and coaches everywhere. You da man Billsboy

>There was white and blacks on the school board Vtime, get

>your fact straight. Being a black man myself, it had nothing

>to do with race. Flojo never has been a teacher, he only was

>at Vashon for one thing basketball. He did misuse money and

>expected a cut for everything. He would not do clinics for

>kids unless he got some of the proceeds. This was a free

>camp for kids and he expected to be paid to attend. All he

>cares about is himself, Vtime. If he cared so much about his

>players, why are they in jail, selling drugs, hanging out on

>the street corner.

>

>I went to Vashon, I have achieved great things, nothing

>fantastic but Vtime I had just as hard as any of these

>players, I grew up in a apartment with 4 kids and a mom. SHe

>tried her best, I was surrounded by drugs and gangs but I

>made it out and the people that have helped me have been

>teachers at Vashon, and principal. All FLojo cared about was

>his palyers while they were there, once they left he did not

>care.

>

>Vtime, quit defending him. He is a great coach, but he did

>not do his job, so that is why he is being relieved of his

>duties, not raising money or running for the PE department

>right.

>

>Kids would go to Vashon to play b-ball and win state

>championship but they fail realize that they will not amount

>to anything b/c they do not see the end product As I stated

>before, there have been a few players of FLOJO that have

>amounted to something, but there are so many others that

>have not amount jack squat, and nobody talks about them.

>

>Vtime- what is Bobo, watkins, cooper, shelton, stovall, nash

>twins, clay. What are they doing now? Tell me this. I know

>the answer but lets see what you say. Floyd doesn't care

>about these guys anymore than I do.

I play with Coop and Stovall all the time. Their best friends. Coop DOES have his degree from MO Bap. Stovall went to Lewis & Clark. I dont ask about they personal life and stuff like that, because its none of my busines, but they doing fine and must have the good jobs, because they always have the freshest gear.

Vtime, great answer. Their best friends to you but you do not ask about their personal life. c'mon, what a fake. You talk the talk but when somebody asks you a question, you give them a crap answer like that.

Cooper may have graduated from mobap but he got kicked of the team after his junior year. Having the freshest gear means nothing, half the kids I went to Vashon with had starter jackets and air jordans but they still got free lunch. Me, I didn;t get free lunch and I wore dopeman nikes all 4 years(the same ones). So that is a great example, you can have all the freshest gear in the world if you work at McDonalds. Quit Faking the Funk Vtime.

My question is why are guys 5 years older hanging around a kid in college, Maybe b/c the can dominate you in ball.

Also, what are the nash twins doing, and shelton, you seem to know all those guys.

The main think Floyd was not doing his JOB, HE GOT FIRED FOR NOT DOING HIS JOB SO HE LOSES THE PRIVILIGES OF BEING A B-BALL COACH. HE DID MAKE $90000 TO BE B-BALL COACH. Bobby knight did, he was great coach and people in Indiana got over it and so will the Vashon people or FLOJOS posse will, if not they have problem b/c Vashon is learning place not a basketball factory.

>Think with your head, not your heart. There is no

>conspiracy against him. He's been dirty for years, and it

>finally reached a point where it can no longer be

>overlooked.

If they didnt fire him after the audit, tell me what he's done since then to deserve to be fired.

>.... To the Congressman, Vee, but you've got to educate

>yourself on this one. Take this from someone who's on

>Capitol Hill, in the Dirksen, Longfellow, Rayburn and other

>buildings ... and if this is a local Congressman while it is

>different its probably more close to the same ... our

>representatives don't do anything for folks that don't

>amount to votes for themselves. Now this Lacy Clay .. I am

>willing to bet he or she is the rep from that part of

>Missouri ... maybe or maybe not ... but the support they are

>throwing behind Floyd is three things at best ... #1) the

>attempt to show their constituents and voters they care

>about their district, #2) a snapshot in time (for crissakes

>it was a story done well over a year ago and Congressmen and

>women are lucky to have a one-hour memory time span), and

>#3) most likely written or drummed up by some staffer in the

>Congressperson's office. I don't know which of our posters

>said 'absolute power corrupts absolutely" but that is true

>here.

>

>By the way, if you are a journalism student, here's some

>advice .... KISS ... Keep it Simple Stupid .... if you mean

>"two" players went to the NBA, please say "two" and not

>"multiple." That's disingenuous at best.

This shows me how little this board knows about the black community. William "Lacy" Clay is one of the most well-known figures in the black community and you dont even know that he's a man. You are out of touch with black people and what's going on at Vashon, so you should no longer be commenting on this subject.