Floyd Irons: He gone.

JMM28

Tom Wheatly series of articles in the post got them those fields. People step up with the money after reading the series and the kept out of the district's and Floyd's hands. By keeping it a private thing. Vtime, don't you think he embarresed St. Louis when he pulled the team off the court?

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

no i feel he made them proud by taking lebron james to wire. beating luther head. making the national rankings. holding down the no.1 overall spot etc. Pulling the team off the floor did not embarrass st. louis, simply for the fact that you guys werent behind him anyway.

>"which is Floyds and all the people there could get teaching

>jobs if they wanted to. they diodn;t fire FLoyd from being

>the basketball coach, the fired him b/c he was not getting

>the job done in his dept."

>

>Firing him as the AD for lack of performance still doesn't

>explain why he is being relieved of his coaching duties.

>They are two separate positions. Any insight on that?

All of the inappropriate expenditures related to basketball revenue and was supposedly spent on the basketball team. $104K for uniforms? Hard to believe. My guess is that Mr. Irons has avoided prosecution (which was a real danger for him in this situation) and his punishment is being stripped of his coaching duties. If it were me, I would have fired Floyd as an administrator / teacher but allowed him to coach his last year and take a deserved victory lap.

Nice to know that you know that I dont care about the school district I live in. That I pay property taxes for. That the results acdemically affect me and my nieghbors more than they effect you or Floyd for that matter who both live outside of the city. Glad to know that you know that about me Vtime. You continue to embarres yourself on this issue. Quit riding Floyd's jock.

No V, city residents like myself are sick of him stealing money from a broke district. Sick of him trying to put "his" basketball team above everything else in a broken school district. Their are alot more important things in the district than Floyd. The team, the school, and the district are the property of city residents, not flojo.

"Yeah he's criticized for what happened outside the lines, but he won ball games and championships, end of story."

So you can cheat all you want, bully all the other teams in the league, and steal school money but it's ok since he wins games? I'm pretty sure I could win a few state titles if you give me all the players he's had. It's more a product of the talent level, not coach that made the V what it is. Maybe in memorial, the V players can pull themselves off the court during a game.

Great man? The guy spent $100,000 on uniforms for his team! Do you consider that a wise investment?! Do you really think the children of St. Louis couldn't not have used the additional $90,000 for their education that he spent on 10 guys on the team? A new football field? A new baskebtball floor? C'mon...this is high school! Education should be first and foremost. The fact that you're on here basically saying "screw everybody who's not an athlete" just shows how much you have been influenced by Floyd and exactly what is wrong with that. It's OK to pull ur team off the court? It's ok to blow MUCH needed money on bs expenses? This explains a lot of your views on this board that are ethicly questionable at best.

He's not stealing money. He cant write checks that arent approved. He's not the treasurer. He's been there for over 30 years and things have only gotten better under him, not worse. His job pays $90,000, he didnt need to steal money from the district. If he looked differently he would've been treated differently. He'd be a hero and a martyr for getting fired.

he bullied other teams? Who? He got most of those guys their jobs. The only coach in the PHL who doesnt like him is Richard Hamilton. When did he cheat? The team wasnt stacked every year, and for you to say he isnt the reason they won those titles or 60 straight, you're out of your mind.

please itemize for us what it would cost to uniform the basketball team. i contend you cannot come close to $100k. btw, it is my understanding that nike also paid "for those $100k uniforms". i.e. it is actually $200k worth of uniforms to account for.

>No V, city residents like myself are sick of him stealing

>money from a broke district. Sick of him trying to put

>"his" basketball team above everything else in a broken

>school district. Their are alot more important things in the

>district than Floyd. The team, the school, and the district

>are the property of city residents, not flojo.

If he did all that, why are they allowing him to teach?

Wrong again V. Veronica Obrien, an African-American, was leading the charge on getting him fired. You and Flojo can try all you want to make this a race issue but it is not. Also, if you read the Vashon audit one of the main problems was the lack of having to get approval for expenses. So you are wrong on that front too.

I'm talking about with you guys it being a race thing. The officials on the board are black. They've wanted him gone for years. The new principal did to, because she didnt work hard to get the job to play second fiddle to floyd. As long as Floyd was there he was the star and she couldnt take it.

no they likely couldnt do that because as a teacher he is protected by the teacher's union. the other positions are not. i would bet that "his teaching" going forward will consist of a lot of study hall monitoring.

In a school district where every cent counts, where kids aren't getting a decent education, where textbooks are too few, and where funding is slim in every area possible, Vashon has at least 3 to 4 different uniforms each year, with all the other gear you listed. That is absolutely sickening. How can that be justified? The PHL schools need to focus on getting kids to graduate, pass the ACT and SAT, and go to college, not on having the best basketball gear. Vashon is the perfect example of misplaced priorities in education.

probably because he is protected as a teacher by the teacher's union. i would guess his "teaching" will be limited to monitoring study halls or subbing for absent teachers. at least that is how i would use him.

but he could overpay a uniform or shoe sales rep and then take the change back from that rep couldnt he? who would know with the vashon books in the disaray they are.