Floyd Irons: He gone.

JMM28

... of course, I know of Bonner so no big surprise there but who are his "multiple players" that he sent to the NBA?

Your opinion on Irons is evident and not surprising, you have him on a pretty large pedestal. However, I don't believe being one of the "greatest coaches in Missouri history" and/or being "national coach of the year" and having pride in one's family and doing charity work negates what appears to be a history of ignoring the rules. If the bottom line is truly as you quote, that because "he won ball games and championships" makes it the "end of the story," then frankly I don't want someone with your values pronouncing verdicts on things.

I think your statement "Floyd Irons is Vashon" is absolutely true but its about Vashon basketball ... and that is you can break all the rules, recruit at will, use kids up for the purpose of winning, make them ill-prepared for life, and shush them out the door when you're done with them but its all okay as long as you win ball games and championships. I don't care about Floyd Irons ... his actions and the history of his players failing to move on says it all. He won't get hired at SLU ... the legacy and stench, real or perceived, is too great. Why take on someone else's problems? I am sure that shortly, he will be suing someone for "irrepairable damage to his reputation," despite the auidt's findings. It will become "Show Me the Money." Seems like it has on 73 other occassions.

As for $100K on uniforms, I am sure that was an aggregate total compiled over time. I am guessing that the money spent "from Vashon basketball receipts" was justified in Floyd's mind by believing that his temas earned that money by going wherever they went so it should be theirs to spend. It is probably justifiable in that sense to many. Remember, its not a lie if you believe it. History shows that there is a fine line between "terrorist" and "freedom fighter." Did you know that the US has no "weapons of mass desstruction?" Semantics. Perspective. Whatever. In some eyes he will be villifed. In others he'll be a hero. I know where you stand. As for me, from afar, don't called me shocked but call me surprised that someone got him just the same.

P.S. Always blame a dead person. They can't fight or sue back.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bonner and Mel Robinson both played in the NBA. Both made you guys proud too. We all know those expenses were approved. He can't make moves without approval. The auditor ruled that he was not guilty. Pulling his teamm off the floor made him a villain. I cant argue with that. Although I see it as the only way to take a stand. I thought that's what Avery Johnson should've done in the Finals game 5 that was stolen from them. People will never acknowlege any wrongdoing if you dont take a stand. It's sad that there are very few saying anything positive about him on this board. It seems that you guys are only going by what you hear from the media instead of getting to know the real guy. The media will make you turn on people, like they did Kobe and Ricky Davis. They'll make you hate guys like Jason Kidd and Latrell Sprewell, then forgive them when they go to the finals the next season, and in Sprewell's case hate him again. Having a consistent national ranked team was something you guys were never proud of. The kids should've been able to enjoy it instead of constant ridicule of their coach and local fans saying they didnt deserve it instead of encouraging them.

Floyd was accused of approving inappropriate expenses (he was an assistant principal at the time), not for anything he did as a basketball coach. So why he is he being relieved of his basketball duties but being left in a position to influence young people as a teacher? This decision is bizarre.

>Floyd was accused of approving inappropriate expenses (he

>was an assistant principal at the time), not for anything he

>did as a basketball coach. So why he is he being relieved

>of his basketball duties but being left in a position to

>influence young people as a teacher? This decision is

>bizarre.

Because they just wanted him out. They were tired of being second fiddle to Irons'. They were tied of being candles in the sun that is Floyd Irons. They knew he was going to retire after this upcoming season, but they couldnt let him go out in glory. I feel bad for Leon Powell. If they really thought he was a menace or hurting the kids, he wouldn't be allowed to teach, they would've prohibited him from that too.

metzy said, "I'm sure we could make up a position for him, ala' Chris Sloan's "Director of Basketball Operations" outfit a few years ago.

We could have Irons be our "Street Team" guy, going out to recruit during the season."

as a sports reporter, i am sure you know that what you proposed is illegal per the ncaa.

He apparently wasn't cleared ... if he was, why is a coach with his record fired? Read between the lines.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman and loyal subject of Billsboy and all ex D1 players and coaches everywhere. You da man Billsboy

You don't think Leon Powell has anything to do with Leon Powell going to the Nike camp?

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman and loyal subject of Billsboy and all ex D1 players and coaches everywhere. You da man Billsboy

imo, irons is the main reason i think negatively about vashon.

the guy has the power to do good......off the court. instead he made sure his players got free passes educationally and the result was just a horrible post high school academic record.

the laundering money to his own pockets is the worst. double billing for the uniforms and the school and nike both over paying with the excess going somewhere. sadly the vashon record keeping was so horrible no one went to jail...as someone should have.

the recruiting kids to play at vashon is also wrong. while it may have helped vashon win, did it help the student athlete academically?

yeah on the court the wolverines did some amazing things, but off, sad sad sad.

Maybe as a teacher, he has no control over the funds. 100k on uniforms ... what does that cover 50 years worth?

never embarrassed st louis?

how about the time he pulled his kids off the floor and refused to finish a state tournament game.

or how about the time he ran up the score in the championship game winning by over 60 points and playing his starters and still running and pressing until in the fourth quarter.

how about the uniform fiasco that only he could have personally financially benefitted from

what about the academic history of vashon basketball players.

while irons has had some amazing success he has done plenty to embarrass st louis.

Vtime, for guy who did not go to Vashon you are sure on the band wagon. I went to Vashon or THE V. I graduated there with Honors and made something of myself, half the people that were in my class are either on the street, in jail or dead and that includes some ball players. Floyd only cared about Floyd and his basketball team. He did nothing for his players after high school. You keep saying he sent some his players to the NBA.

Rich Grawer sent Bonnor the the NBA, he develpoed him in to an NBA type player, not Irons. ALso, it states that the PHL has done away with th PE/athletics dept, which is Floyds and all the people there could get teaching jobs if they wanted to. they diodn;t fire FLoyd from being the basketball coach, the fired him b/c he was not getting the job done in his dept.

I had a friend interview with him for the Director of PE 9-12 a few weeks ago. Floyd and a couple of his co-workers asked probably on of the stupidest question they could have asked. How are you going to be able to raise money for the athletic programs in the PHL.? this is flow jo asking th e question.

My friend said Floyd, how does you team get the best unis and shoes, maybe we should do what you are doing. Just trying to make my point, FLow Jo wants everything for himself and not for the other teams or schools. My newphew is ANthony Love and he does not have a good thing to say about Irons and trys to avoid Floyd as much as possible when goes to a game.

Vtime, you can come up with all you facts about th V and FLOW JO but to be honest you do not have any of the experience I have b/c you did not go to Vashon, you throw these players names out like they amounted to something. Quit with all you knowledge and stick to trying to get better by playing tennis b/c obviously you are not good enought to play for Harris Stowe and they are terrible.

finest, he wasnt proven innocent, the vashon record keeping was so bad, it couldnt be deciphered. he got off because of the district's own ineptness or corruption.

what that tells me is that not only should irons be gone the whole vashon school district should be gone.

"which is Floyds and all the people there could get teaching jobs if they wanted to. they diodn;t fire FLoyd from being the basketball coach, the fired him b/c he was not getting the job done in his dept."

Firing him as the AD for lack of performance still doesn't explain why he is being relieved of his coaching duties. They are two separate positions. Any insight on that?

my memory says the audit did not clear irons. it showed the records to be such a mess nothing could be proven.

only one of those things is true and that's pulling his team off the floor and it didnt embarrass st. louis. he traveled the country and his team's always represented the city well. I wouldnt call going to state traveling the country.

mel robinson made us proud? the same mel robinson that quit on the billikens?

for the record, i never stopped hating latrine spreewell after he tried to kill his coach. imo, he should have been banned from basketball for life.

and there is no proof that mark mcgwire took steroids either. that doesnt mean that in the court of public belief he is innocent.

you are asking us to honor irons but there is enough smoke around irons and vashon over the last couple of decades to prove otherwise.

your wanted proof keeps him out of jail, public opinion has a different set of guidelines than a courtroom. and irons will live with it the rest of his life.

for you to defend the man as strongly as you do sure doesnt speak well for your own ethics imo. oh wait a minute, you told us a couple of months ago the billikens should cheat to recruit didnt you? hmmm.