Floyd Irons: He gone.

JMM28

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, is it time to play Good Samaritan and open the door for Irons on the staff??? I'm sure we could make up a position for him, ala' Chris Sloan's "Director of Basketball Operations" outfit a few years ago.

We could have Irons be our "Street Team" guy, going out to recruit during the season.

So many ideas...

It is a shame he is gone, but the district let him coach a final swan year. I will always have issue with a coach who, as the assistant (and acting) principal, did not demand ALL his players put as much time in books as they did on the court. Players too often had a free pass on Floyd's watch, and it showed after they left Vashon. Many sank because they did not learn(and were not taught) discipline OFF the court under Floyd's regime.

It also proves you can't spend over $160,000 in a year and walk over the B of Education in St. Louis. Floyd has proven that power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Now we can await VTime's massive spin....

If some of that stuff is true, it's a shame. It's good to see that someone finally stepped up and put a stop to the mispent funds. How could anyone possibly spend $100,000+ on uniforms? It's not possible. I think Vashon bball will suffer. Floyd might not have been too good with the check book but it's hard to argue with the product on the court.

I really hate to hear this. He's one of the greatest coaches in Missouri history period and has been recognized as the national coach of the year before. He's sent multiple players to the NBA. He's a great guy, who I've known my entire life from living on the same street. He's a family man who took more joy in his son taking College of the Ozarks than he did with his own team winning the state title. He does so much in the black community with the charities. He stands for things like he did with the shootouts, boycotting one and creating another. He's irreplaceable. Yeah he's criticized for what happened outside the lines, but he won ball games and championships, end of story.

He was entering his last season too. That's messed up. Floyd Irons is Vashon. Whatever they didnt like about what was going on at Vashon, he was the only reason people were talking about Vashon or had anything positive to say about Vashon at all.

Whatever they didnt like about what

>was going on at Vashon, he was the only reason people were

>talking about Vashon or had anything positive to say about

>Vashon at all.

and he also was the focus of a lot of negative attention too...

He helped more than he hurt. Without him, all the news about that school was negative. He kept countless kids in school and off the streets including those who didn't play basketball. He was an ambassador for St. Louis as his team's traveled every year and represented St. Louis, and never embarrassed St. Louis.

While Anthony Beane was very discouraged at not getting an interview for the open SEMO job, I wonder if he would be interested in the Vashon job. I know Anthony wants to coach his two boys.....

On the flip side, I wonder if only an ex-Vashon player would be acceptable as Coach Irons replacement.

Even if you think he helped more than he hurt, he just undid all of that and demonstrated that it was a sham. He just slapped every kid he coached in the face. Tens of thousands of dollars in dirty money (yes, St. Louis city taxpayer money) misused in his program, some of which probably found its way into his (and maybe some players) pockets. He had way too much power there. I've always thought Floyd was a good basketball coach to his own players, but lacking integrity for some of his actions, and this proves it. This is disappointing for all local hoops fans. Call him whatever you want VTIME, but he embarrassed St. Louis this time for sure.

I sure hope you're joking, Metz. He shouldn't be allowed to coach at any level ever again. We didn't want him before, and we have absolutely no reason to have him associated with the program in any way.

V, I understand that you know the guy on a personal level, but to misappropriate $100k should surely end your job. Winning shouldn't make up for shady dealings. Nobody is untouchable when they commit wrongs like (allegedly) spending lots of someone else's money without approval. Go ahead, try that at your job, see what happens...

One other unsettling item is that it seems pretty easy to slip some money past the school system's accounting folks. How messy are these schools? That seems to be a far worse situation than letting Irons go.

VTime, Irons never was and never will be Vashon. He was an employee who demanded more performance on the court than he did off the court.

Hearing statements such as this(Irons is Vashon) negate the legacy of all the students who actually attended, graduated, and went on to bigger and better things in life. THEY are Vashon. Five honest and productive employed Vashon alums in the community do more than Irons, and you can pick any five.

It is wonderful Irons gave back to the community, but his recent accounting practices started somewhere, and should raise questions about where Vashon funds assisted Floyd in his community and charitable practices. It is not giving when one hand is removing money and the other is giving.

In the end Irons was corrupt and corrupted, and a poor example to those he coached and those he guided. He destroyed what he initially succeeded in building.

This is the best news i have heard in a month. Irons was scum, dirty as they come. Anyone who pulls their team off the court should be fired just for that, let alone all of this mess. Here is my favorite part:

Problems with the Vashon program emerged when the internal district audit found that the school's administrators had, without authorization, spent tens of thousands of dollars in basketball receipts on, among other items, a $50,000 scoreboard, about $100,000 for new uniforms and $5,900 on a gymnasium floor.

All told, the audit reported 73 "questionable" expenses incurred by the Vashon program.

Irons was an assistant Vashon principal during the 2003-04 academic year when the records were audited. He has blamed the accounting discrepancies on a deceased former principal and the district's former athletics director.

73!!!! That is not making a minor mistake here and there. That is knowing you can do whatever you want and no one will care about it. Glad to see that someone stepped up and had the balls to can his ass. The only bad thing about this situation is that he is not going to do time for his actions. Goodbye and good riddance.

>Even if you think he helped more than he hurt, he just undid

>all of that and demonstrated that it was a sham. He just

>slapped every kid he coached in the face. Tens of thousands

>of dollars in dirty money (yes, St. Louis city taxpayer

>money) misused in his program, some of which probably found

>its way into his (and maybe some players) pockets. He had

>way too much power there. I've always thought Floyd was a

>good basketball coach to his own players, but lacking

>integrity for some of his actions, and this proves it. This

>is disappointing for all local hoops fans. Call him

>whatever you want VTIME, but he embarrassed St. Louis this

>time for sure.

You have no facts. You cant prove that any of those expenses weren't legit and he's the only reason they got a new school in the first place. He's the reason the PHL got those new football fields after playing on horrid conditions. The PHL will be nothing without him. If he really did that stuff they wouldn't be allowing him to teach. He's allowed to teach, but not coach. Which situation would he be more harmful to the kids in, teaching or coaching? Think about it.

>V, I understand that you know the guy on a personal level,

>but to misappropriate $100k should surely end your job.

>Winning shouldn't make up for shady dealings. Nobody is

>untouchable when they commit wrongs like (allegedly)

>spending lots of someone else's money without approval. Go

>ahead, try that at your job, see what happens...

>

>One other unsettling item is that it seems pretty easy to

>slip some money past the school system's accounting folks.

>How messy are these schools? That seems to be a far worse

>situation than letting Irons go.

Again, he was cleared of any wrongdoing, but you guys continue to say he's guilty. He's guilty to you guys no matter what. The auditor cleared him of the wrongdoing. There was no evidence. You think he has a paper shredder or something. He cant just write a check with school money. It has to be approved and it was by former administrators.

No ex-Vashon player would accept the job after what they did to Irons. They all loved him despite what the outside world thinks. Irons will be on 104.1 FM this morning to discuss things. Stls, dont try and reason with them, they're not gonna change their minds.

Again, he was cleared of any wrongdoing, so what are you talking about? He is also the sole reason that Leon Powell just went to the Nike Camp. He's been a coach and educator for over 32 years. He's been at Vashon since he was 14 sans his college years. That's nearly 40 years. He is Vashon's Joe Paterno. He stood for things like the shootout. He pulled out of one because of the lack of money relayed to the black community and created an all-black event. I guess that rubbed some people the wrong way. He's a great guy, a great coach, and a great neighbor.

>This is the best news i have heard in a month. Irons was

>scum, dirty as they come. Anyone who pulls their team off

>the court should be fired just for that, let alone all of

>this mess. Here is my favorite part:

>

>Problems with the Vashon program emerged when the internal

>district audit found that the school's administrators had,

>without authorization, spent tens of thousands of dollars in

>basketball receipts on, among other items, a $50,000

>scoreboard, about $100,000 for new uniforms and $5,900 on a

>gymnasium floor.

>

>All told, the audit reported 73 "questionable" expenses

>incurred by the Vashon program.

>

>Irons was an assistant Vashon principal during the 2003-04

>academic year when the records were audited. He has blamed

>the accounting discrepancies on a deceased former principal

>and the district's former athletics director.

>

>

>73!!!! That is not making a minor mistake here and there.

>That is knowing you can do whatever you want and no one will

>care about it. Glad to see that someone stepped up and had

>the balls to can his ass. The only bad thing about this

>situation is that he is not going to do time for his

>actions. Goodbye and good riddance.

An outside auditor from nowhere near Missouri came in and cleared Irons of any wrongdoing. What did she have to gain by doing that. He was cleared. Why do you guys want to convict him of something that he was exonnerated of?