willie

Our organization under the current regime is where promising young pitchers go to die. I will give Duncan his due on reclamation projects and getting the most out of them, but when it comes to young pitchers LaRussa and Duncan leave a lot to be desired. They don't trust them and can't develop them which is a pretty bad combo.

LaRussa and BS have a lot in common. I do not mean this in a bad way but both are committed to their beliefs as the way to win and run a ball club. I am not sure you will see much change from either.

I think BS believes in Bennett like tempo/quality shot attempts/no turnovers while LaRussa believes in winning with veterans/good fundamentals and showing player loyalty.

My philsophy with the Cardinals would take a different direction. The current owners have been adament about not exceeding their current salary cap. But when you have pitchers such as Reyes making next to nothing why not ship out a guy like Mulder and use his salary to get an outfielder. The Cardinals would be spending the same amount of money but would be taking advantage of the fact that they have good young pithchers making close to the major league minium.

hardball said,

"My philsophy with the Cardinals would take a different direction. The current owners have been adament about not exceeding their current salary cap. But when you have pitchers such as Reyes making next to nothing why not ship out a guy like Mulder and use his salary to get an outfielder. The Cardinals would be spending the same amount of money but would be taking advantage of the fact that they have good young pithchers making close to the major league minium."

i was all for trading mulder months ago to try to find that everyday player they need. unfortunately, they have now missed their chance imo. who in their right mind would trade for him right now and give us much in return if anything? they now have about 5 weeks to rebuild mulder and show the rest of the world he is worthy of taking. good luck.

i also was not a fan of the ponson deal. sure it looked like a bargain, but there is a reason bargain's are out there and there is a reason those that work out are few and far between. ponson was deemed a problem due to his off field hijinks for a couple of years. why take a risk on a character of his ilk? i am sure walt decided for the price it was worth the roll of the dice though.

let the kids play or if not use them for trade bait while they are at top value.

oh no, i am always a braves fan first and foremost.

but what is the point of injecting braves talk in a cardinal discussion?

and because i am a braves fan i cant have an opinion on the cardinals and how they run their team?

I don't know if you know this, but Dave Duncan has never told a lie. In his entire life! Amazing I know.

Duncan needs to worry more about his staffinshambles rotation and leave Ozzie Guillen alone.

I did find it pretty funny that they waited for the 2nd batter of that inning who just happened to be the pitching coach's son. What irony.

As a native St. Louisan that now lives in Chicago I consider myself a casual White Sox fan (any group of people that hate the Cubs are good by me) but Ozzie is out of control. He doesn't know when to shut up and often ends up with his foot in his mouth and when he does get caught in double talk he blames the English language for the confusion.

I'm glad Duncan called him out on his ridiculous claim that he had no idea that Chris was his son. Not that it matters, but Duncan was the 4th batter in that inning, not the 2nd. It was not a coincidence.

Duncan also called Ozzie out for being quoted in the paper that he had called Duncan to apologize. If I read in the newspaper that someone had said he called and apologized to me yet I had never received such a call you'd damn well better believe I'd call that person a liar. It turned out later that the paper misquoted Ozzie but how was Duncan to know that?

>If I read in the

>newspaper that someone had said he called and apologized to

>me yet I had never received such a call you'd damn well

>better believe I'd call that person a liar. It turned out

>later that the paper misquoted Ozzie but how was Duncan to

>know that?

Well the thing was that Dave Duncan prefaced everything he said by "I never lie." That's the funny part. And then he and Larussa take this holy roler thats not part of the game approach. Gimme a break.

I like Ozzie, but he does like to put his foot in his mouth quite a bit. Just another example of winning > everything

Does a coach or manager develop or refine his style over a career?

(I would think he does.)

What type of major league manager was LaRussa at the age of 34 when he started managing the White Sox in 1979. Did he favor veteran players at that time.....I don't know. Did he believe in good fundamental in 1979.....I would think so. Did he show player loyalty when he was managing at age 34-35-36......maybe, maybe not.

How much has Soderberg's coaching style evolve since he started at UW-Stevens Point in 1984? What was his coaching style after five head coaching seasons at Loras and two at South Dakota State? What was his coaching beliefs in 2002 when he arrived at SLU? What will his coaching beliefs be in 2006-7 after 22 years in the coaching business? Will Soderberg still believe in taking quality shots and minimizing turnovers......probably....don't most coaches believe in those two standards?

I believe really good coaches and managers are no different than business professionals, teachers, research chemists, etc. As one ages, learns from experience and matures, some attitudes change while some core fundamentals remain the same.