Worst Case Scenario...

davidnark

I don't mean to be a pessimist, but if Notre Dame jumps to the Big Ten or the ACC (recent reports indicate that Notre Dame is being recruited by both conferences), then Xavier may get invited into the Big East with our old buddies DePaul and Marquette. Without Xavier, the A10 would lose a lot of its luster.

Why would Notre Dame join a conference? Right now Notre Dame has an $8.5 million TV deal with NBC that expires in 2005 and is the only independent that is part of the BCS contract (which also expires in 2005). The folks in charge of the ACC think these circumstances make Notre Dame ripe for the picking.

I guess we would have an outside shot of being invited to the Big East under this scenario.

david, if notre dame leaves, the basketball only schools lose their voting majority. the football schools would pounce on the opportunity to force either marquette or depaul out or at worse make the league take another football school. i personally am rooting for notre dame to get an invite elsewhere. imo it might revitalize the papal conference talk.

Maybe you will get your wish on ND. This morning I woke up to the local Sports station who runs the ESPN radio feed at that early time slot. They had a report about the Big Least inviting Cincy, Louisville, Marquette, and DePaul. They also said that there is a report that the A-10 will invite Notre Dame and that will make the

A-10 a 12 team league...noticed that there was no mention about the Billikens or Charlotte getting an invite into the A-10. Just goes to show that I still don't think any of these hacks really know how these dominoes will finally land...it's still all conjecture and speculation. Just remember how the ACC announcements ended up...not how they were first reported. In other words sports fans...stay tuned!

My initial reaction was the opposite. If Notre Dame leaves for whatever reason, I feel the remaining schools in the Big East begin to splinter even more. Marquette and DePaul would have to take a second look at joining the Big East. Also, I thought there was a feeling that Notre Dame wanted those two schools in the Big East or the other way around. Anyway, without Notre Dame in the Big East, the attractiveness of the Big East would take another hit.

>Maybe you will get your wish on ND. This morning I woke up

>to the local Sports station who runs the ESPN radio feed at

>that early time slot. They had a report about the Big Least

>inviting Cincy, Louisville, Marquette, and DePaul. They

>also said that there is a report that the A-10 will invite

>Notre Dame and that will make the

>A-10 a 12 team league...noticed that there was no mention

>about the Billikens or Charlotte getting an invite into the

>A-10. Just goes to show that I still don't think any of

>these hacks really know how these dominoes will finally

>land...it's still all conjecture and speculation. Just

>remember how the ACC announcements ended up...not how they

>were first reported. In other words sports fans...stay

>tuned!

Did you mean to say, "They also said that there is a report that the *ACC* will invite Notre Dame and that will make the

*ACC* a 12 team league"?

Driving home from work last night I listened to the Tony Kornheiser show on 11.90 a.m.. He interviewed somebody from USA Today about the big east. He stated that it would be very difficult for ND football to join any league. They went through such an emotional debate when they we're recruited by the big 10. To join a different confrence now would bring up those scars. He pointed out that he expects any move by anyone to join the big east is only step one in what will be many changes. None of this is new to this board but one think he did point out is the complications of what happens to past NCAA basketball money. I think one of the problems of setting up a new papal conf.is these schools may be walking away from monies the have already accrued. Maybe we can get Woolard to talk about money issues at a Tip Off meeting.