Report - A-10 poised to extend invites to SLU and UNCC

Billiken Law

As part of the new conference bottom-feeders Duquense and Fordham would be given the boot. Possibility that Marquette and DuhPaul would be invited if the Big East changes their mind on inviting them to join. Probably the best conference news for SLU since this whole mess started

http://www.enquirer.com/xavier/2003/09/20/wwwxu1a.html

While the new A-10, IMO, is a step down from the current C-USA. It is sure nice to know that we will probably have somewhere to go in all of this mess.

Plus SLU in the same conference as GW, what were the odds of this happening went I decided to come here ;)

Steve

UMASS

Temple

Xavier

Dayton

St. Joe's

I say we accept immediately. The best that we could hope for is a basketball centered conference. Also, the schools in the A10 have a lot more in common academically with SLU than CUSA.

Plus Steve will get his loyalty tested every year. GWU SignGuy?????

Be prepared for alot of 6pm starts for you folks in the central time zone.

I dont think that our travel budget would change that much. We would just be traveling in the same direction all the time, versus Texas, Louisiana, Florida, Carolina....

I wonder if our soccer team would want to go independant??

I'm not sure if it is a step down from what will remain of CUSA (assuming Cincy get the invite which may not happen now thanks to their thug rep). Seriously, do you want to be in a conference where the other members are Tulane, USM, Memphis, USF, ECU, TCU, Houston, and UAB? Assuming Fordham and Duquense are booted (I think Lasalle should be looked at for departure too) the A-10 is a pretty damn good place for SLU. You'd have a 2 division format done East/West with SLU most likely in the same division as Xavier, Dayton, Richmond, St. Joe's and Temple. Not bad at all....

I don't know what the sentiment is for the current A-10 people. But I am wondering if we could turn the A-10 into an even better conference.

Give the Bonnies (For their actions last year) and La Salle or GW the boot (you think student support for SLU is bad, the GW team gets ripped on every day here). Then invite Depaul and Marquette, and you have an EXTREMELY good Basketball conf.

Steve

This is welcome news. It would mean forgetting about the Valley as a fallback situation and, if they kick out 2 bottom feeders, this conference starts looking pretty strong. Even with the bottom feeders, we'll still be in good shape in the A10 west division with Xavier and Dayton. Here is how it looks--

Xavier

Dayton

SLU

Richmond

La Salle

George Washington

Duquesne

If they could find a way to get rid of Duquesne, I'd be very happy with this division and the conference.

A revised A-10, possibly including SLU and Charlotte sounds like a nice option. But why jump today? Has SLU been extended an offer and a deadline? I don't think so. Let's sit tight and continue to study all other possibilities.

When SLU has an offer and a deadline, then react.

If the A-10 happens, I look forward to post-season tournaments in the Philadelphia and Mass/Rhode Island areas.....someplace different!

Until then, patience.

The article in the Cincinnati Enquirer indicates that the Atlantic 10 will wait until after the Big East announces its plans to extend the offers. If the four schools (Cincy, Louisville, Marquette, and DePaul) leave for the Big East, then Charlotte and should leave for the Atlantic 10 without hesitating. Why wait?

If the Big East gets Cincy, Louisville, Xavier, and Dayton, then the Atlantic 10 would extend offers to Charlotte, SLU, DePaul, and Marquette. At that point, it would be virtually a push for C-USA's non-football schools: C-USA without Cincinnati and Louisville, or A-10 without Xavier and Dayton?

The best possible scenario would see the Big East adding just Cincy and Louisville so that the A-10 could keep Xavier and Dayton and add the four non-football C-USA schools, but that seems doubtful.

It doesn't look like the dream of a conference of Xavier, Dayton, DePaul, Marquette, SLU, Creighton, and two to four others will happen.

Yes Memphis has football but it is an afterthought. If they came to the A10 also it would be a better b ball conf. Those guys have to be worried about how this whole thing is going to shake out. They have been mentioned by no one.

IF CUSA is gone then the bils end up in the next best conference to cusa ie A-10. However I think it is not the best possible outcome but certainly not the worst either. I would love to see the A-10 invite all four CUSA BBall schoolsand let the Big East fend for itself, but it probably is not going to happen. Interesting that Cinci is perhaps SOL.....

No memphis was in the Metro before Great Midwest. That conference had Florida St, Virginia Tech, Cincy, L'Ville, S. Miss, Tulane, and South Carolina. A southern conference but a step up competition wise from what CUSA would be after the non FB 4 and Cincy and L'Ville split.

I wouldn't. Yes, they screwed up bad, but they took every step possible to rectify it (unlike some school who cover up and deny improprieties ever occured, and I'm not just talking about our friends to the West). Bona is traditionally a pretty competitive team, took Kentucky to 3OT's in the tourney a few years back, and is a heck of a road trip. They bring much more to the table than Lasalle, Fordham or Duquense.

Look, Marquette and DePaul will not be going to the Big East. They have convinced the bb 5 to accept two football schools as replacements for VT and Miami and no hoops only schools. I think this will be a very good conference.

As for which conference is the best opportunity, well, not everyone can be in the top rated conference in the country. Each school individually brings up a conference by slow hard work. You need the committment of the administration. Sometimes a little luck helps too. St. Louis has shown that committment by fan support and your new arena. I graduated from Xavier in 73 and basketball sucked the whole time I was there and for a while before that and a while after. When football was dropped, the school made a real commiuttment to basketball. We went to the MCC which was good for us at the time, and actually still could have been. Games were moved to the 10,000 seat Cincinnati Gardens and eventually our new 10,250 seat on campus arens (which I understand your officials have visited several times). We have also had four very good coaches in those 25 years: Bob Stack, Pete Gillen, Skip Prosser, and Thad Matta. Our sussess has helped bring up the MCC and now the A-10. Richmond helped the A-10. St. Louis and Charlott would bring up the A-10 as would DePaul and Marquette. You don't just go into a conference and expect it to bring you success. All schools work together for the common good. That is the one problem right now in the A-10. Some schools have not made a committment, and you know who they are. Some play in no better than high school gyms. Recently at an A-10 meeting certain standards were set and schools hav two years to shape up or ship out. I do not have anything against schools in the A-10, but if they do not want to compete at the highest level, than they should be fair and go where they are more comfortable. I would really like Fordham to compete in the A-10. It would be great for the league, and the actually beat St. John on the court once in a while. But they have the oldest arena in Division 1 and their idea of a committment was a $1million cosmetic facelift to the place. They have a Patriot league budget mentality.

Marquette and Depaul aren't going to get the Big East invite. Everything I have read says they will. Do you have some inside information or is this just speculation?

I agree with the rest of your post. A conference is what each team makes of it but its a lot easier to recruit when you are in a good conference, I think the A-10 with Marquette, Depaul, Charlotte and SLUY would be a very nice conference as long as the bottom dwellars are booted.

the money goes with each school. Marquette will take its Final Four $ to the Big East. If CUSA sticks together it will stay with the NASCAR division. At least thats my understanding of it.

I hope you are right and Marquette, Depaul, SLU and Charlotte all join a revamped A-10 but I've just read to many places that they are going to get the invite. We will see.