If there is a positive to losing Morris...

ACE

I would be surprised to see JF turn into more than an 8-10 pt per game scorer. I love his defense .. but he is eratic offensively. His shot is average and he doesn't show a lot of confidence in shooting it. He is wild driving to the basket and has not shown the ability to finish consistently. He also doesn't pull up for the 10-15 ft jumper ... he is more of a set shooter.

I see him as the 1st guard off the bench by midseason if AD continues to improve. JF can come in at the 1,2, or 3 which also makes him valuable off the bench

i do not consider our team thin at the guard spot one bit. fisher, drejaj and clarke can all play the point. fisher, bryant, drejaj, clarke, sloan and izik can all play the wing. hunt is an emergency at both spots, the quality depth questions are all at the inside spots where imo sloan and izik are the closest things to sure things. the rest (johnson, ian, husak and fericks) are all question marks as to effectiveness.

when measuring potential, i always look at the best you have ever seen someone and consider that their "potential". if josh fisher played that game he had vs tulane two seasons ago everynight, he is an all-conference player.

thicks, potential and reality are two different things. most people never fulfill their potential. that said, drejaj' big game is what i consider his potential.

With all due respect, and I love Sloan to death and I think IO has tremendous upside, neither of them can ever be expected to play one of the two lead or shooting guard positions. we have 4 "guards" of substance--Fischer, Bryant, Drejaj and Clarke. If we play a three guard offense that means we have only one sub for three positions. If one of the 4 gets hurt then we have three guards. Absent injuries, I agree that we have enough depth. If we have to play without one of them then we will be vulnerable to teams like UAB who wear out the guards by the end of the game. I like Hunt but there is a reason he was not recruited as a scholarship player at the D1 level-- except for a couple of minutes at a time he cannot play guard at the D1 level, particularly on the defensive end.

i take your post to mean that you consider the billikens offense to be a two guard front. it is not. they play from a single guard front and the second guard and small forward from an offensive standpoint are pretty much the same thing. sloan has proven he can guard any guard as well as any one else on the team, so from a defensive standpoint,chris sloan could easily play a non-point guard position if needed. especially recognizing that there are already four capable guards ahead of him. my point is only that there should be no concerns at guard depth as we can handle a lot of guard adversity at the point and two wing positions. and as i said in the above post, it is recognized phillip hunt is an emergency filler. no one is ready to put phil in the game for 30 minutes a game.

Unless there is an emergency it would be crazy to have Chris Sloan guard the other team's 2 guard. That would elimintate his strength as a defensive rebounder and cause him to run and chase around screens when he is at his best when he is a hard nosed one on one defender with a forward and the help defender down low in the post. If Sloan is playing 2 guard on offense or on defense then we are short of guards! I do agree that he could defend most 2 guards with his quickness and tenacity.

I too would say he is too inconsistent to be "the man" on offense, but he has been playing w/marque, who was the man if there ever was one, and things may open up for him without perry there. I had about the same comments on Jeffers going into his senior season as I do now about Fischer.

Sloan guarded the other teams two guards effectively his first couple eyars until he got moved to the pivot. Sloan even got to start for a bit his frosh year based solely on his defensive play.

I don't think we are short of guards. Izik can handle the 3. We have 4 decent guards who will be in the rotation, that is more than enough. Hunt is more than enough in an emergency situation, I think you underestimate him. He is no David Burns but he is a solid player for his role.