Brandon Morris to play at UWGB

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You just like him because of your total disregard for Booby Knight. But even a blind squirrel will find a nut once in a while .... maybe Myles shot his wad with that one.

I envision a different scenario ... call it the second coming (or going) of Jimmy Hoffa .... Myles starts messing with the money brokers and he's pushing up TexTurf blades in a concrete end zone somewhere ....

broy, because Sommervile was considered a 4-2-4 transfer he had to "graduate" from SWIC, while completing a minimum of 24 semester hours at SWIC and while maintaining a 2.00 gpa at SWIC.

Slaten, coming directly from high school, only had to completed 24 transferable-degree credits (accepted by Arkansas State) while maintaining a 2.00 gpa.

to criticize Brad's strategy of going after JUCOs early last year. Everyone knew how hard SLU's standards are in obtaining JUCOs. Why Brad even bothered with this is beyond me. While I'll admit statistics don't tell the whole story, it'll be interesting to see how 'good' Brandon Morris is at UWGB. I was never sold on him as a recruit.

Losing Morris will sting this season, but he remains a lightly heralded recruit. If Brad can find a way to man the point guard position this season, we should be able to replace Brandon with a higher caliber player for next season. We already have an upgrade in the fold in Polk.

I am not convinced that Brad had any options for this past season's recruiting other than to land a juco big man. There are very few high school big men that can step in and compete right away at a high D1 level, and there were no such high school players locally. Ian sounds like him may be a good player by the end of the season, and Frericks is going to do a sufficient job of rebounding, defending, and scoring a few points in the paint. We shouldn't be any worse off in the paint than we typically are at the center position. Unfortunately, the bulk of the high quality high school centers end up it the top 20 programs.

The real concern is whether we have enough talent at the other four positions on the floor to beat quality opponents. Can Reggie be the man? Have Drejaj, Sloan, and Fisher improved? Can Clarke contribute right away? Can Izik finish his nice moves to the hole and shoot consistently from 12-16 feet? Can JJ provide decent minutes off the bench? These are the questions that will determine our success this season.

I am a PE taecher. My degree is in Kinesiology with PE certification k-12

Why doesnt SLU get a Kinesiology program.

The college I went to had this program and many the classes I took had sports medicine, sports management, Athletic training, and nurses. I got my degree in this and then also took education courses that would certigy me as a pe teacher.

In the kinesiology courses I had some easy classes like 7 electives of life time activities, bball, volleyball, soccer etc. But my hardest classes were A&P, exercise phys, motor learning and control, Boimechanics these courses were not easy.

There were many athletes in those classes and most of them though it would be easy cause the classes were going to be easy pe couses but they were not.

So why doesnt slu get something like this? Do they feel this type of program would make them look bad? Last time I checked they were not in the top 20 school for the best education. ND, Duke, those schools have a graet sports programs and they dont have a kinesiology program but there sports programs are so much better than slus and they win win win.

Any thought

my thoughts are that even if slu offered the physical education major in any of the ****ology emphasis, that still wouldnt cover the athlete that took archery, basketball 101, weight lifting, bowling, and pilates as what he believed would be transferable courses and in all likelihood would be at other d-1 schools, but wont be at slu for their new ology major.

SLU is too conservative on this front. With society today being soooooo Obese....... SLU ought to find a way to have a pe major and it could perform a significant public service to saint louis by hyping exercise....good nutrition etc..... Oh sure some might try to make it a cake walk, but like in anything else if it is done correctly there would be some serious benefit to SLU and our community.

our allied health professions degree already covers nutrition and some other related health topics. the point is that many of you want a "pass through" major. folks that aint gonna happen. and i for one dont endorse it either. why lower our standards?

So now we have atheletes who all major in communications. I guess they are all going to be sportscasters. A lot of our players end up as high school coaches. It seems to me that being able to take some PE classes along with their education classes is a natural.

I think our future coaches-to-be would be better served with their education degree having an emphasis in math, english, the sciences, etc.

I want to win as much as the next guy, but not at the cost of watering down the academic side. Let's do it the right way....even though at my age (59 years and 22 months) I may be running out of seasons and the "we'll get'em next year" routine.

Keeping up with the big-time Jones' could mean a PE program this year, paying players next year, tutors doing the actual school work instead of the players the following year, etc., etc., etc.

I'm telling you....it's not easy being a Billiken fan!

No roy, I do not want a pass, but I do think there is a place for a serious PE major at SLU. As a society we need to preech from day one life long exercise, and PE majors are the ones who are best equiped to teach kids in school, not just the standard baseball basketball, kickball etc.... but teach kids about their bodies and the need to excercise. This takes some vision to see past the half asleep athlete in the back row getting a credit, but it can be done, for the health of all of us. We need to change the attitude that Physical education is playing a game. It can and has been, but it need not be and should not be. Physiology, psychology, communications skills, anatomy, biology physics are all class that should be in this kind of major if it were to be done right.

"the right way" not sure what you mean, If you mean have a PE major that is as difficult as the other majors at SLU then I agree. It does not need to be a cakewalk to get kids like Brandon Morris to come to SLU. IF I am not mistaken he needed to be able to apply a certain number of his credits to his major. That does not mean he needs a cake walk major......

by "the right way" .....I mean legitimate college students taking legitimate college courses. I don't want to have players that need The Theory of Basketball 101, Weightlifting For Basketball Players 101, Home Gardening 101 and Flowers For The Home 101. These courses exist and players are taking them JUST to maintain their eligibility.

I think that instituting a PE major would not diminish our acedemic reputation and to say that it would is somewhat arrogant. As long as we hold these students to the same principles and acedemic integrity, it should not be a problem. As someone who holds a B.S. in Aerospace Engineering, I could say that I feel other majors such as communications, economics, journalism are "a joke" and that they don't deserve to be majors either. I have taken courses in all these subjects and found them to be very easy. However, these were the introductory classes and know they can get harder the further along you get. Just as, as Roy says, "Basketball 101" may be a joke, along the way, the courses get more in depth and deal with more difficult subject matter. Again, as long as we hold the program to the same standards as all SLU courses, it would not bring down our acedemic integrity.

I am aware that Coach Soderberg (who I think we are lucky to have at SLU) has a PE degree. My brother and several nephews have PE degrees as well.

My point again is, if SLU's admission office gets overwhelmed by hundreds of typical SLU applicants over the next few years demanding a PE curriculum, than by all means consider it. However, to have PE classes strictly because a few juco bball players need them to gain admission to SLU and to maintain eligilibity, then I'm against it. Let's be successful doing it the right way!