Playing Time

willie

One of the big fears that I had about the upcomeing year was the problem Brad would have with playing time. I envisioned us loseing some early season games because we played too many people. While loseing Floyd and Brandon may hurt in the long run there is a certain amount of short run benefit. Dreja's playing time just went up.

willie, i see your point, but last summer i point blank asked brad about playing rotations and time, he said he preferred to use an 8 man rotation and 9 at the max. if you remember, after izik became eligible, varner's time was virtually reduced to nothing. i believe he would have held to that again.

Roy thats what Brad also said last year. In the first part of the year min. were pretty even for a lot of players. Later in the season Brad stuck to a stricter rotation takeing min. from people like Chris Braun. I don't think it was an accident that the fewer people we played the better we became. If we had everybody available it would have been very crowded early on.

i always believed that the "too many" cooks theory cost romar games. it is way too hard to keep that many players happy, so why try? i sure as hell wouldnt promise the minutes to 10-12 players. i think that 8 is fine as that means more minutes for the best players.

Where the lack of a full 13 man roster hurts is at practice.

It seems as if there is always a player or two out of practice with an injury, flu, death in the family, etc., etc. Even with walk-ons you have a potential problem not having competitive practices.

You can't count on 40 year old coaches or 5-7" student managers for consistent help.

An eight or nine man game rotation is fine, but give me at least two or three redshirts every year so that the practice sessions can be meaningful.

that would be great to have 2-3 redshirts per year. then you could have the best of both worlds. what i was questioning was coach romar trying to give 11-12 players playing time each season. i have no problem with redshirt or transfer seasons.

I heard Rammer this afternoon on his 3-5 radio show say that Reggie Bryant has to sit out the first three games re a NCAA suspension for all of the Villanova and ex-Villanova players who illegally used a school telephone calling card. Rammer also stated that Ian will have to sit 10 games for pro-ball benefits in Greece.

Now I better understand the scheduling of Eastern Kentuckey, Savanna State and NC A&T out of the box.

Can anyone confirm Rammer's comments or was I dreaming!

Wow when it rains it pours. Well we really need to win these games so we don't run into a situation like we had last year (could've been dancin' except for the ugly losses). Varner might have to pick up some minutes. Maybe this does force our hand to try to fill that newly openend scholarship quickly.

If SLU can get out of the box with three wins in November with this reduced roster, the positive is Darren Clarke early-on will get as many minutes as he can handle, same for Justin Johnson and Bryce Husak. (I'm not sure SLU will be in a position to redshirt Bryce this season, that redshirting may have to be "on hold" until next season.) That early-on game experience for these three players should be valuable come December.

By the way, (based on little things that you hear but didn't pay much attention to at the time)I'm confident that Ian's 10 game suspension and Reggie's three game suspension have been known by the coaching staff for weeks if not months. Likewise, the Morris eligibility issue and Floyd's personal issues at home have been visible to the staff as well.

Another interesting Billiken season ahead!

Your right the coaching staff had the two suspensions and the Morris eligibility issue on the radar. They had to know about that after the Ohanan season and the problems at Nova. They may not have known about McClain. Prior to McClain they may have considered just banking the scholarship of Morris but now that 2 are open do you think they want to do that with both? I wouldn't I'd find someone. Got to be some kid with skills floating around.

i would hate to see us in haste, and for the benefit of a pre-season schedule add a body that wont really help down the stretch and will then be a used scholarship for another year or two. gut it out. as tseugnekillib said, it gives the extra time to clark, justin johnson, husak, fericks, that they need to prove themselves and for the staff to accurately access what they can provide. let's not forget the versatility of chris sloan, hell, he can damn well play every position on the floor credibly. i just dont want to rush into a player and we get stuck with a dud either skill wise or maybe worse yet, characterwise. there is a reason someone is still out there. i doubt the ability to find anthony drejaj every year. especially THIS late.

imo, that is fine to combat, eastern kentucky, savannah state and north carolina a&t. reggie back just in time to play arizona.

Didn't he sit out a number of games last year, 10 I believe. Why does he have to sit out AGAIN? Or am I (once again) reading it wrong and was rammer referring to last year?

There must be a mistake, if not, I find Ian having to sit out again RIDICULOUS.

Steve

I am not even THERE yet! But I think my reading skills need improving.

This week on the board I have made like 4 errors about what year a player is, a players name, etc.

DOH DOH DOH

BTW I leave in 14 hours. And I am doing very well on space in the car and almost completely packed.

Once again, DOH DOH DOH,

Steve