Bernie Bits

Here are some notes Bernie Miklasz included in his column this week:

Tyler Hansborough, a 6-foot-8 junior from Poplar Bluff High, already is one of the most heavily recruited high school basketball players in state history; virtually all of the major programs are on him. ... Former SLU guard Marque Perry has signed with Skipper Bologna in the Italian Basketball League, and former SLU center Kenny Brown is playing pro basketball in Portugal. ... St. Louisan David Lee, a star at Florida, is saying that he is likely to declare for the 2004 NBA draft if he has a successful junior season.

Congrats go out to Marque Perry and Kenny Brown.

dont forget that david lee would take a family pay cut to go to the nba. his family is old money rich so david doesnt really need a degree. i think david's thoughts might be more about the fact donovan is a horrible teacher but spectacular recruiter, thus david wants to get in on the "potential" tag before it is too late. so often you see the draft folks will take the underclassman but pass on the senior because of the "p" word.

I checked on the Eurobasket site but could not find Marque yet. Skipper Bologna is a top league team in Italy and one of the better teams in the top league. AJ Guyton has played for the team and Carlos Delfino plays there, he was NBA pick this year.

I'd agree with David Lee and his lack of readiness for a NBA career. He did not show me much in the Gator's thrashing to Mich St. in the NCAA tourney last year...of course, none of the Gators looked good in that beating. I mean he's a nice college player, but I don't see a NBA star in his future unless he has really improved by leaps and bounds over the summer. I'd give him the same advice...stay in school.

lee's a bigtime player. he just so happens to play for a horrible game coach. donovan knows how to talk the talk and bring em in, but i am not a big fan of his player utilization.

I'd agree that Billy D's X's and O's are not his strong suit; however, in the MSU game last March, he was outmanned in the front court(including Master Lee) and the Gators were hammered! I don't know...perhaps, Lee will be a NBA player...time will tell how high he will go in the draft.