hazelwood central

p diddy

why in the world would unsl want pilz. the underwhelming job he has done developing grimes and jackson speaks for itself.

Pilz has great connections, they are just hoping he can turn them around. There are very few guys interested in UMSL, so Pilz may have been the best of the lot. Who knows with more mature players maybe he will have more success.

I wonder who will get tabbed for Haz. Central. If they get a decent coach they should be state contenders.

The Hazelwood Central coaching search is going to be fun to watch.

HC athletics director Ken Green told me he had several potential coaches call him over the weekend. Word travels fast. Green said he would post the opening today and that it will run for 10 days. At that time, he will start reviewing candidates.

This is an attractive job for several reasons, but the Hawks have some quality young kids as well. Alex Tyus is a good young talent, and he'll be around for the next three years. After Kevin Lisch, Tyus could be the next big prospect to come out of St. Louis. When I was at the Nike Hoop Jamboree, I watched Tyus get some extra coaching from a guy named Kevin Eastman. Tyus was probably pushed harder in the five minutes or so that I watched than he ever has been before. And the week before, Eastman was in Oregon pushing LeBron James and Carmelo Anthony through a pre-draft training session. (If any of you saw the latest LeBron "The Life" episode, Eastman was interviewed on there.)

Green will have his pick of quality candidates, including coaches currently working in college as assistants. He will be able to bring in a coach that can make an impact with this team, and I think the team needs that to be successful. Pilz wasn't a bad coach at Central, but it did look like he wasn't getting through to the players at times. Erwin Claggett would have been a great choice for this job, but congrats to Kurt Jacob at McCluer for bringing EC in when he did.

- Nate