To Nark

bonwich

(I'm lost, too, especially since my browser isn't displaying the diacritics correctly :-). )

I'm not sure that your untruncated name has ever appeared on this board, but the well-reasoned and well-written letter to the editor in today's paper had um, similarities to the writings of a certain frequent here. A quick cross-reference on the h.s. alumni web site provided confirmation.

Your droog (who can resist a "Clockwork Orange" reference?),

josef basamanowicz

(which means, by the way, "the son of the guardian of the forest." Bog knows why Daddy chose to shorten it. we assume that you're the pharmacist's son, or something similar :) ?)

Some of us know Nark's untruncated last name from the old Billikenboard or from reading his news stories on either that site or this one. Besides that, I believe it may be found in his profile.

I have no idea what the quoted foreign language is, let alone understand what it means. And you're totally confusing me with your allusions.

Lastly, would you care to link or quote this alleged letter to the editor that Nark wrote? I don't get the Post.

Thanks

His profile only shows "David Nark" as his name, but since I can find his full name on articles from the old board via Google, I'll take your word that outing him isn't any big surprise.

Here's the letter from today's Post:

Where the jobs are

An Aug. 3 article about the reopening of the reversible lanes of Interstate 70 unfairly mischaracterized the level of employment in or near downtown. The article cited a so-called expert who claims that "there now are more jobs within five miles of the intersection of Highway 40 (Interstate 64) and I-270 than there are in downtown St. Louis."

By comparing the relatively small geographical area comprising downtown with an area defined by a five-mile radius, this expert is mixing apples and oranges.

Had he compared a five-mile radius from downtown with his five-mile area in West County, the number of employees in downtown would dwarf the number in West County. This re-defined downtown area would include Anheuser-Busch's brewery and headquarters, A.G. Edwards' world headquarters, BJC's headquarters, Washington University's medical complex, and St. Louis University's two main campuses. These are five of the largest employers in our region.

Even without re-defining the boundaries, downtown's employment remains steady at 97,000, the largest economic engine in the Midwest outside of Chicago. Misleading information leads to a poor public perception of downtown St. Louis, which in turn adversely affects the national perception of our entire region.

David L. Narkiewicz

(The quoted language in the earlier posts, by the way, was Polish, and his is much better than mine. Anthony Burgess invented a language called Nadsat for "A Clockwork Orange" based loosely on Russian, which has lots of similar words to Polish. More than you ever wanted to know, I'm sure. [but you did ask :) .])

Actually, I don't speak a single word of Polish. I copied those quotes from a website with popular polish expressions. They translate into "Can you help me?" "I am lost" and "I don't understand."

I do appreciate the clockwork orange references.

Joe, I found it funny that you suggested that my surname translates into "son of a nark." My father is a physician who, obviously, prescribes medicines. He graduated from the U High in '62. When did you graduate?

Interesting post and very true. I wonder who the expert was. I was out of town on August 3rd, so did not see the article. Never thought I'd see a post here that would relate to my business. gister has no significance other than "gis", or geographic information systems, the analysis of the location of people, places, etc., which is my business. Therefore, when you're talking about deomgraphics within a certain area, that's one common application of GIS. I know the Post has the software, so they should have access to that information. Of course, I realize that they can't verify the information in every article.

The "expert" was Mike Right of AAA Missouri. His statement, at face value, is probably correct. But as Nark also correctly pointed out, it's an absurd comparison, because the technical definition of downtown has less than a two-mile "radius" (whatever that would define anyway), so a five-mile radius would define an area more than six times larger. (The "expert" obviously got his degree from some school that believes you can earn 18 hours of credit in a single summer, or something like that.)