Soccer Game

For those interested the Bills one their first exhibition game with Loyola 4-3. ( I do not know if they are any good ) I missed the first goal by Loyola which came very early. SLU than scored the next 4 in arow to take a 4-1 halftime lead. Will John an incoming freshman scored two and is very quick and fast. Reminds me a bit of Dipsy but has the potential to be a little better with the ball. He needs to work on his finishing as he could have easily scored 4 or 5. Vedad Ibejevic sp? scored one and is tall and quick. He didn't get many opportunities to show what he can do in the air ... I hope he has some skill with his head as Kevin Wickart is one of the best in the country at serving the ball on set plays. Vedad's shot looked to lack power but he has some skill on the ball. I can't remember who scored the other one on a penalty kick. Loyola's keeper talked Vedad on a breakaway and got ejected.

We looked good considering our 2 best freshman are with the U17 National team.

We put in a lot of subs in the second half and still dominated most the half. We missed a lot of very good chances.

Our Keeper Martin Hutton let in an easy goal that just went through his hands ... he bobbled a few chances and did not look good. He did play a couple of crosses well and looked good in the air. Martin is an excellent keeper who I hope just had a bad night. I'm not sure but will be surprised if he is not a preseason 1st or 2nd team all CUSA selection.

Overall we looked good ... very, very fast upfront. I wasn't sure how good we could be this year ... but if the defensive lapses were just a "bad night" we could be very good this year. We have 23 freshman and sophmores on the roster and about 10 of them will get substantial time. I am very excited about the chances for SLU to win a National title soon

Defensive lapses are tough, especially with that being the only area where we have veteran players. Hutton was very good last year lets hope this was an off game, but we do have at least 2 other goalies on the roster who are capable of pushing for a spot. I think you would the experienced guy like hutton out there but there are other options.

>Reminds me a bit of Dipsy but has the potential to

>be a little better with the ball. He needs to work on his

>finishing as he could have easily scored 4 or 5.

I thought the exact same thing about Will John.

Right now I'm not going to get worried about this team's defense. Nick Gannon, who I would say is our team's best defender, was given the night off, so I think that this defense will be better with him in the middle.

I ran into tseugnekillib on the way to the garage and the consensus was that this team clearly has the talent to score goals, but their one problem tonight was that they waited to long to shoot the ball. They would try to make one pass or move too many.

I missed the first Loyola goal, but we dominated the rest of the first half, and Coach Donigan played all of his bench players, so I believe that was part of how the lead shrunk. The only players who didn't play were Gannon, Danny Wynn, John DiRaimondo, Brian Grazier, Pat Kelly, and David Greathouse. Gannon and Wynn are certain contributors, DiRaimondo and Grazier are with the US under 17 national team right now, and Kelly and Greathouse are backup goalies.

Next game is Tuesday against SMS at 7:00 pm at Hermann Stadium.

I agree with DesmetBilliken as I stated we put in a lot of subs in the second half and we still dominated play and missed a lot of easy opportunities. Yes I believe we held on to the ball too long and we were not as confident with the ball at our feet as we should have been. Quite a few times it was almost like we were saying "here you take it" I especially thought Jack Jones looked uneasy.

Even with the defensive lapses in the second half ... I think Hutton will save both the 2nd half goals 19 out of 20 nights. Last year he was very impressive

Wickart looked very good in the middle. I like him a lot, He plays very strong and is incredibly accurate with the long ball.

It's funny we are saying the offense looked good ... but the defense looked suspect. Coach D's assessment was the Defeense would lead us early until the offense caught up, due to almost every one of significance being a freshman