Coach Soderberg: winning streak bodes well for program

Well, I've yet to get a response from KFNS whether or not I can publish the recording of the interview on the web, but I have re-listened to the entire interview (it's nearly 40 minutes long, comprising 9 megabytes of a low-grade mp3 file). It was a really enjoyable listen, and I hope that those of you who missed all or part of it will get the opportunity to hear it.

Roy's synopsis of the interview was good, but I'd like to correct one thing. Roy insinuated that Coach Soderberg didn't seem particularly excited about Justin Johnson, but Coach did say JJ will have a good shot at contributing this year. He said that what he like about him is that he can shoot, in addition to hitting the boards. Coach also said he thinks pretty highly of Darren Clarke's chances of contributing if he comes in and works hard and plays well. He said the guys said he shot the ball extremely well this summer.

Regarding recruiting, Coach said that he plans on filling all three scholarships (vacated by Josh Fisher, Chris Sloan, and Ross Varner), and that he's looking at perimeter players, as they're pretty well stocked in the lane, but not as much on the perimeter. He also spoke highly of the high school class of 2004 in St. Louis, saying that there are six or seven players capable of playing in a top six or top seven conference.

One of my favorite parts of the broadcast was when Frank asked Coach about the beginning of the winning streak that capped the regular season, and I picked that to pull out as a transcription:

Frank C: What a stretch there for you, as a head coach, when you have those victories, Louisville, Cincinnati, DePaul, back to back, because at the time many people were thinking, "Boy, this is really going to be a tough season; how're you going to sell season tickets next year," and then, boom, that stretch was exactly what the doctor ordered.

Brad S: Yeah, you know, it was one of those things where you stick with what you believe is the right thing to do and hope it works out, not knowing for sure that it will. I mean, we could have just as easily, you know, had Marque missed the one he had against Louisville, or whatever the case may be, we could have had that string broken easily, and things just fell into place. And I feel some real momentum with our program now, not just with boosters, not just with calls and letters, but with our players, and that's what matter the most. I saw a different level of intensity this summer, and committment, and guys really wanting to get better, and that, I think, is a reflection of the end of the season we had this past year.

Thanks for the synopsis thicks. Coach Soderberg's enthusiasm is contagious. Glad to hear Coach thinks JJ has a shot. In the few practices I watched last summer, JJ shot the ball well from 10 to 12' out and had superior hops ... although weak around the basket (Sloan was muscling him). With added strength and Izik full-time at 3, I think JJ should contribute at 4.

If JJ continues to develop and can be starting at the 4 by mid season we could look very good.

Starters

PG .. Morris

SG .. Bryant

SF .. Izik

PF .. JJ

C .. Frericks

First 3 off the bench

Sloan at the 3 or 4

Fish at 1, 2, or 3

Drejaj at 1 or 2

I like all these guys off the bench because of there intensity and hustle. I think that when there is a lull offensively or defensively they will provide a spark.

I don't think this will be the starting 5 at the beginning ... but JJ is the key if he can improve enough by midseason to start ... We will be a force.

I agree with you analysis and believe that, in the long run, those five players may be the best starters. I doubt, however, that most other posters on this board expect or want to see Sloan, Fisher, and Drejaj to come off the bench.

You are right as this has been discussed before ... most people want CS to start. And right now I'm sure he would ... but I think we would be a better team if JJ improves enough to start. ( i know that I am hoping for a lot of improvement ...... if it would happen ) The 3 players I mentioned CS,JF,and AD just have that intensity that would lend itself to coming off the bench to provide a spark at either end of the court. Coming off the bench doesn't mean you are a lesser player ... it is usually who is in the game at the end that counts, and whoever is having a better game would probably be in there at the end

Starting or coming off the bench is not as important as minutes. The three players you list are very going to be our best 3 defensive players next year (Fish, Sloan and Drejaj) thus, whether they start or not, they are going to get their minutes. It shall be very interesting to see how coach divides the minutes this coming season, many more options than last year.

BTW, I for one would not expect to see JJ starting at any point this coming season unless CS is hurt. You would need a jack hammer to get Sloan out of the starting lineup his senior year.