Dan Donegan on 1380

thetorch

Not a real big soccer fan, but anything billiken interests me so I tuned in this afternoon to Coach Donegan on a rare soccer related interview on local sports talk radio.

He made not that they had an expended exhibition season with their first game coming up soon, and mentioned their tough schedule with almost all of their opponents being top 20 caliber schools. Said at first the teams strength would be at defense where 3 starters return and 3 out of the 4 jrs or srs on the team (the other jr being the goalie). I couldn't believe that he said 23 out of the 27 man roster were frosh or sophs???? Really young team, but they have the No 3 rated freshman class in the nation, a couple of them are playing on the U-17 national team. Donegan the top scorers would be a a foreign guy Nedad or something, he is really real;ly good, and another frosh who is on that U-17 team Deondro or something like that. Tomorrow if anyone wants to know 1380 at about 1:00 will have the womens coach on.

To clarify for others, the two players that are referred to are Vedad Ibisevic, a freshman from Roosevelt High School in St. Louis, who is a Bosnian immigrant, and John DiRaimondo, a freshman who went to SLUH for a year before playing for the US under 17 national team the past few years.

For those who don't know, the first exhibition game is this Friday at 7:00 pm at Hermann Stadium on the SLU campus against Loyola Chicago.

Vedad is the real deal I've seen him play a couple of times. DiRaimondo is a prominent member of the US U17 team. They are playing right now ... so he will not be playing tonight. He is one of the top players on the team. You can see the games on GLV, I beleive it it if you have satelite. I have yesterdays game taped and will watch it tonight. They also play Sunday. Freedy Adu is also on the team he is a 14 year old that is being courted by English first division teams and MLS. He is unbeleivable. If you are a soccer fan and have a way to watch ... you should.