The NCAA is going to nail Mizzou...

davidnark

Mizzou won't get the NCAA death penalty. I doubt the NCAA will ever hand that down again after the way it destroyed SMU's football program.

If what is stated in this article is proven, then I could very easily see Mizzou in a situation like Minnesota a few years ago and Alabama's football program at the current time.

If I was affiliated with Mizzou, I would be very ashamed about this. If an investigation is completed and turns up results and penalties in the next year, then I wonder how this would affect the purchasing of seats for Mizzou's new arena.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You've got to be kidding me. I root for Missouri to win on the court, but I do not have the illusion that they're angelic. It's obvious that, at the very least, Mizzou's staff flirts with the recruiting rules, but I sure hope they aren't paying players or recruits or committing academic fraud.

I don't love Quin Snyder, but I root for the players. How am I doing their laundry when I've consistenly said that if Missouri is cheating the school should be punished and the principals fired? However, the difference between me and the Mizzou HATERS is that I'm hoping for the best and will WAIT for the university to complete its investigation and get word from the NCAA and the haters go to bed dreaming about Mizzou's being guilty and are already declaring their sentence.

I'm not defending Tigerboard fans. Nor do I pretend to represent the views of all Tigers fans. I don't base my fanship of Missouri on the couth (or lack thereof) of its fans or TigerBoard posters. I'm a homer, plain and simple.

I must add here that it annoys the heck out of me that the owner of TigerBoard is on record as condoning cheating, because "everyone else is doing it." It's getting harder to interact with Tigers fans, but it would be difficult for me to get out of the habit of rooting for the Tigers. Rickey Paulding, Arthur Johnson, and company are among my favorite players, and I see no way I could just stop following these players I've gotten attached to. Then, in the process of rooting for the current Tigers players, I'll get attached to this year's freshmen so that I won't ever be able to quit rooting for the team. The same is true of the Billikens.

No. NC or Southern Cal doesn't change my mind on that statement. Maybe J.C. Riggins but not Brooks Brothers and defintely not The Men's Wharehouse.

I have no doubt that Roy assumes the worst, and frankly hopes for the worst, when it comes to MU.

But I have to tell you as an MU fan I have no problems believing Bunge's allegations. Do you?

I still have a slim hope that no one else will step forward and at most MU gets a wrist slap for Quin's giving Clemons some clothes, but I'm not holding my breath.

On the brightside, maybe they will knock those $30,000 seats down a little so I can afford them. Hahaha.

i will honestly say, of course i am hoping for the worst. i have never hid my hatred of the tigers. that said, i feel sorry for good fans like yourself mu.

i will also say that if this was happening to the billikens i would be steamed. i would demand that the administation uncover whatever they can and clean house. nothing in college athletics p!sses me off more than this dirty under the table b.s. i have long been an advocate of changing the rules to no rules except accademic rules simply because it is so hard to enforce as is and the rule book has become impossible. but until the rules are changed or simplified, programs should abide by them not find ways to skirt around them. and to still be hearing excuses of "i didnt know" 4 years later is just unacceptable. however quin's newest excuse, "i wasnt conscience" might be the top one yet.

that Thicks roots for Mizzou. While on the other hand, I'd root for SLU... Bet no one would have guessed that one...

The allegiance to both schools are very strong and razor-thin. However, I'd have to root for SLU only because I find the SLU boosters less annoying. Man, would I love to see the Tigerboard after SLU beats Mizzou in the Final Four...

Well, I don't know if Alden's finger is on the trigger, but I have a feeling the gun is in his hand.

Let's face it. Quin was given everything to succeed. A new arena on the way, access to private jets, a million dollar salary. It may be that he pissed it all away.

During the recent three-game series, I was completely neutral during the first two games, and the third game I was pulling for SLU, though (and perhaps some here remember my post-game "story") I was excited for the Tigers' way of ending the game, exorcising (in my mind) the demon of Tyus Edney by winning a game on a play in the last 4.8 seconds.

Until the last couple of years or so, I always said that I root for Mizzou and SLU virtually equally, with a very slight edge to Mizzou. Since the change, which was during the 2001-2002 season, I think, I root for Mizzou and SLU virtually equally, with a slight edge to SLU. I think part of it is Missouri has been more nationally prominent and doesn't "need" as much support and SLU is an underdog that few in St. Louis ever give a chance to be good.

During the next series between Mizzou and SLU, I'll probably pull for SLU but be happy for Mizzou if it wins.

mu, do you suspect the hands of a booster being dirty at all in the last 4 years? as billiken rich's newest signature points out with his "happy quote" from the movie "blue chips", i suspect a lot of this crap that happens is the result of overzealous boosters as much as outlaw coaches and their staff.

personally, it wouldnt surprise me a bit that the staff may know "stuff" is happening, but be somewhat oblivious (probably more by design than actual ignorance)to the specifics of what goes on.

if not, i think it would be difficult for pretty q and staff to ignore the rest of the team for just the benefit of the middle player on the roster. i.e. i could see a scenario whereby upon entering the gates of tigerville, a player is told, "if you need anything at all, go see mr x." a good kid with decent values and knows the difference between right and wrong ignores that. a ricky clemens immediately heads over to see mr x. thus, maybe it is all ricky. that said, according to the ncaa the institution is responsible for the likes of "happy". and to allow happy to run wild is a prime example of "lack of institutional control".

I guess I believe that Jessica Bunge is telling the truth as she knows it, but I think (hope) that Ricky Clemons strung her along brandishing a bad-boy, outlaw persona, making her think that illicit activities were taking place. Bunge did say that Clemons told her he could get away with anything.

Perhaps it's a pipe dream, though, and Quin Snyder has been blatantly and STUPIDLY cheating (how smart is it to have players applying to Hearnes Center for their illegal payouts???). If so, then he should be fired.

>ashamed to live in Missouri period. It's strange how that

>catholic guilt can manifest itself.

First of all, I'm not ashamed to live in Missouri. There are things about the state that I don't like, but I'm not ashamed to live here.

Second of all, if you consider living in the state of Missouri as an affiliation, then we are at a misunderstanding. By affiliated with Mizzou, I meant alumni, faculty, fans, and current students, not taxpayers.

By the way MUTGR, if I remember correctly, you also have an advanced degree from SLU. Sometimes in your postings here I get the idea that you are ashamed to be affiliated with SLU. Can you explain your relationship with SLU?

Lighten up, it was just a joke. I thought that the way I tied that in whith the catholic guilt was humorous, but of course I'm usually the only one that enjoys my humor. I believe you're the one that posted a few months ago about how you dream about waking up and finding you are actually a resident of Illinois or something.

I love SLU. SLU might have to become my favorite basketball team, at least for awhile. It's a shorter drive, the seats are less expensive, and they don't appear to be headed for NCAA probation. I will really stick out as the only one wearing black and gold, though. Something to think about.

I have said on occasion that in a perfect world I would wake tommorow morning to read that the St. Louis metro area had been annexed into Illinois. Basically that's just because of a combo of things that annoy me about the state of Missouri and the fact that a good portion of my relatives grew up on the Illinois side of the river, so they always talk up Illinois as a wonderful place. I still expect myself to remain on the Missouri side when I get older though.