Where there's smoke there's fire

slu72

I was just over on the ESPN page-men's bb-in addition to Baylor there was tiny little Fairfield and powerful Maryland investigating their programs for paying players. All three schools know they risk probation and a lengthy recovery period. This is in sharp contrast to Mizzery's attitude about the Ricky C fiasco. Let's see you have an allegation, under oath mind you, of cash payouts to a highschool/JC dropout who somehow completes almost a full years courseload in eight weeks of summer school. The same student also can afford an apartment and to take his girl out on no visible means of income, i.e. no spending money from mom and pop. Who are we kidding here? When you see schools like those mentioned above all coming clean, it's upsetting that Alden or the Mizzery president has not announced an investigation into Q's program. His carte blanche acceptance of Q's assurance of no wrongdoings is chickens**t in my opinion. Methinks maybe there are other powers behind Alden pulling the strings here..doesn't Mizzery have two Forbes 400 guys on their team? Do you think their two mega buck Tiger fan club fathers want to see them playing on a team on probation or on a team racked by scandal, thereby denying their little darlings a chance at the brass ring? Is this sour grapes from a disgruntled Mizzery hating Billiken fan? Yes, to some extent, but it's more about this fan having a strong dislike for cheaters. Is Q guilty? Who knows, but without an investigation that goes beyond a cursory question or two from his boss, it appears he is even to the most casual observers. If he's so squeaky clean, you would think he'd ask for an investigation into his activities just to lift the curtain of suspicion that now surround his program and his reputation.

I for one do not expect anything from Alden. Where the heat should come from the University President, WOOPS... that might be a bit uncomfortable since he is the one who was chaperoning Ricky when he should have been studying.

It was a shrewd move on Quin's part to get the President involved with Ricky. It helps to cover his back.

What can the President do when the trouble comes as a result of a student that he agreed to mentor?

A bit of blurring the lines of authority and responsibility. Then again are we suprised by blurry lines when it comes to the hoops in Colunbia?

>This is in sharp contrast to Mizzery's attitude

>about the Ricky C fiasco. Let's see you have an allegation,

>under oath mind you, of cash payouts to a highschool/JC

>dropout who somehow completes almost a full years courseload

>in eight weeks of summer school.

slu72, you're incorrect (and so are many who have been looking at the Mizzou/Clemons situation from the outside). Jessica Bunge's allegation that Clemon received cash were not made under oath.

>>Bunge’s allegation about Clemons receiving cash could not be found in either the police reports or her deposition. Crane declined to specify where or when Bunge made the claim but said he asked about the cash and clothing to help determine whether Bunge and Clemons had a sustained relationship.

http://archive.columbiatribune.com/2003/au...0801news006.asp

Either Kevin Crane capriciously decided to pursue that line of questioning of Missoui's coaches, or he was basing his questions on an informal, off-the-record interview of Bunge. She wasn't under oath.

so many tiger fans keep insinuating that bunge is not credible or is just trying to get back at clemons and/or missouri. well, judging by the fact that clemons pleaded guilty, she obviously did not lie about the crime. judging by the fact that snyder has already admitted he indeed did give clemons some items, she obviously didnt lie about that either. so right now she is 2-2. so i tend to believe ms bunge's claims. if she was going to be proven a liar, i think it would have been shown by now.

one thing is for sure, there is no reasonable explanation for the academic miracle of passing all those classes at 3 separate institutions in 6 weeks and my guess is that it will be easy to show ricky was throwing money around that there will not be a reasonable source of where that cash came from. as unca soderberger suggested yesterday, just answer where he was able to come up with the rent on the apartment? that might be enough right there to create the "ponderous of evidence" needed to create a major problem for the university. and dont forget, even if it was an overzealous booster, the university is responsible for the actions of a booster regardless of knowledge by the program. i.e. laurie cant take a bullet for snyder either.

per the desk top webster dictionary i just opened:

"ponderous - 1. of great weight. 2. unweildy, clumsy 3. oppressively dull

i do not find an entry for "preponderance" or "ponderance".

Sorry, thicks, I thought it was in the deposition. Thanks for the correction. It still doesn't alter the fact that she said to someone RC received cash from someone in the program. And that Mizzery is really doing nothing to prove or disprove her claim, which was my main point, i.e. Mizzery just wants this whole mess with RC to fade away rather than take the high road of investigating Mighty Q's high powered hoops program. I'm not naive enough to think other schools don't turn their heads at rumors, facts, etc, but when RC's whole recruitment is being publicly questioned, plus the suspect way in which Conley was recruited, well,"where there's smoke there's usually fire". Mizzery should have the cojones to find out whether it's a campfire or whether the whole forest is burning down.

did anyone see Bill Self's violations at Illinois and the fact he has three self-reports already at Kansas. I'd really like to see the SLU record and don't understand why Woolard didn't use the issue to show how squeeky clean we are. The only plus to not divulging is it irritates Missouri fans.

If SLU didn't have any self-reports to the NCAA, they'd certainly disclose that to the Post-Dispatch. I'm certain the reason why SLU didn't disclose that information was because they would probably have a similar amount of secondary violations as Mizzou and the Illini. I say this based on SLU's vigilance in following NCAA guidelines. I'd be shocked if Spoon, Romar, and even Brad didn't commit any secondary violations; however, we will never know...

Missouri says it's investigating and has enlisted the NCAA's aid in investigating. Why do you think they're trying to let it fade away? Maybe you've been reading the wrong stuff (i.e., the Post-Dispatch). The Kansas City Star and Columbia Tribune are much better sources of information, though I'm sure you're not so concerned about Mizzou to go search their respective websites.

I'm becoming more and more convinced that the Post has little desire to do right by Mizzou OR Saint Louis U. because this is a pro sports city that couldn't care less about college sports. Sure, there are a lot of Mizzou grads and a few SLU grads in St. Louis, but by and large, all folks care about in St. Louis are the baseball Cardinals, the football Rams, and the hokey (um, I guess I mean "hockey") Blues. Basketball is an afterthought, and college sports is child's play.

College sports are looked down upon be the sports media. Why because they do not get the graft that they do from the pro sports.....more money, better food and bigger ego building material. If SLU beats Mizzou it is big news in missouri but not nationally......That is why I think people like Bernie follow College sports peripherally.

as for Mizzou, I hope they are investigatin, but I am surprised that they had yet to talk with Bunge now two weeks later.

basketbill, i suspect they dont have to talk to jennifer. they know what she has to say plus. the extent of missouri's "investigation" is who else can back her story up. if no one, they run like hell. if alden knows they are trapped, time to cut the lines and try to save face. at least odom is scapegoat material and probably pretty q as well.