Title IX

TheBand

Perhaps someone can enlighten me on Title IX. Is it true that coaches (men's and women's in hoops) have to be paid the same base salary? I heard from a KU alum that the women's coach got a HUGE bump in salary to over a million dollars a year when the Jayhawks hired Bill Self. This was done so thier salary structure matched according to the law.

True?

There are is no specific rule that says you have to pay one coach the same as the other. In fact there are few specific rules. There are several ways to comply with Title IX. One way to comply is to spend roughly the same on men and women's sports and paying a women's BB coach more is one way to spend money in a somewhat responsible way.

Some slightly old numbers to savor:

The average Division I-A institution spends $2,791,000 on coaches’ salaries for men’s teams and $1,258,000 on coaches’ salaries for women’s teams. (Source: 2001 NCAA Revenues and Expenses of Divisions I and II Intercollegiate Athletics Programs)

The average Division I-AAA (no football like SLU) institution spends $610,000 on coaches’ salaries for its men’s teams and $505,000 on coaches’ salaries for its women’s teams. (Source: 2001 NCAA Revenues and Expenses of Divisions I and II Intercollegiate Athletics Programs)

Schools with I-A football have huge problems with compliance because there are not equal resources committed to men's and women's sports (it is not even close). This is why they tried to overturn Title IX. However, their weak and frankly pathetic lawsuit was dismissed earlier this month.

http://www.ed.gov/offices/OCR/title9guidanceFinal.html

On the other hand, I would not expect terribly strong enforcement of Title IX either. Status quo wins again.

I think I-A football is a huge resource waste. Despite all the dreams of big money (that some do get) 65% of teams lose money. Millions of students subsidize football through athletic fees whether they like football (or any sport) or not AND no one factors this into their accounting. The most ridiculous thing is the 1-A football carries 85 scholarships and allows 32 walk-ons. This is pure financial insanity and really about the big schools preventing the talent to trickle down.

Title IX to my knowledge does not require equal pay for men's and women's coaches. What it does do is require that if you have male and female coaches coaching the same team then you can not discriminate against the female by paying less. No that being said, if the male coach of the same team has longer tenure, then that could be a reason for paying more. Men team coaches probably are payed at a different rate than their female team coaches counterparts. The reason the KU women's team coach probably got a raise was because they felt she deserved it. If they paid her only because Self came then the question I would ask if I was her was why did they not do the same when Williams was there surely he was making a boat load.